single turbo vg30?

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
xS-13x
Car: s14

ok so me and my friend are having this argument. he insist that u can put a single turbo on his 300z. its bs right? but i cant convince him. lol. i mean i know with enough money u can do whatever. but i gotta rub this in his face.

if this is in the wrong area or whatever, im sorry. just put it wherever. and i know this thread is useless, and is pointless. but i dont care. i gotta win this argument. lol :bigthumb:

simmode1
Car: Red '95 S14

Yes. But it's stupid in most cases.

Why is it stupid? Because if you do it like depicted above, you're using less efficient unequal length turbo manifolds. Or if you use equal length manifolds and mount the turbo in front of the motor, the Z32's already cramped engine bay will make fitting it in there exceedingly difficult.

The VG30DETT has dual throttle bodies on it's intake plenum. It is ideally setup for twin turbo with side mounted intercoolers. Leave it alone.

ffrpwner
Car: 1994 300zx n/a (sold)
1992 300zx tt

that s14 is beyond sexy though....and the engine bay omg :D

jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

when i boosted my z32 i toyed with the idea of mounting the turbo at the back of the car(there's a member with a rear mounted turbo on his Q45) but i ran out of cash before it was a reality
ps. there i belive theres a company called STS or something close to that.that makes a rear mount turbo kit

xS-13x

well thats what i told him. almost exactly. word for word. lol i figured it was possible. just not the best choice. and that s14 is straight up sex on wheels!

simmode1

Man, I wish all V6's had dual throttlebodies. I think thats just another reason why the VQ35HR and the VR38DETT are some of the best V6's... besides the VQ30DET. Or if the VG30DETT had an aluminum block... that would be awesome. Oh well.

vulcanrush
Car: 93 300zx n/a to tt

simmode1 wrote:Man, I wish all V6's had dual throttlebodies. I think thats just another reason why the VQ35HR and the VR38DETT are some of the best V6's... besides the VQ30DET. Or if the VG30DETT had an aluminum block... that would be awesome. Oh well.
i prefer the iron-block, by far. stronger, better for boost. with an aluminum block, you have to resleeve, etc.

simmode1

That's a generalization. The VQ30DET, the VQ35HR, the VQ37VHR, the VR38DETT all handle boost just fine. On the other hand, the VQ35DE's don't (as much). Just depends on the setup from the factory and your power goals. By your logic, an KA would be better for boost than an SR, which isn't the case. They can be equally good depending on the setup. I prefer not to rely on the strength of my block, but rather proper tuning to keep an engine from blowing. And I'd prefer aluminum blocks to save weight.

Why else do you think iron cast motors are a thing of the past?

vulcanrush
Car: 93 300zx n/a to tt

simmode1 wrote:That's a generalization. The VQ30DET, the VQ35HR, the VQ37VHR, the VR38DETT all handle boost just fine. On the other hand, the VQ35DE's don't (as much). Just depends on the setup from the factory. By your logic, an KA would be better for boost than an SR, which isn't the case. They can be equally good depending on the setup. I prefer not to rely on the strength of my block, but rather proper tuning to keep an engine from blowing.
absolutely, the ka is better than an sr at boost, alex shen at sp engineering, jwt, the cosworth guys would disagree with you.

of course, proper tuning is good for boost...but all other things being equal, i'll take an iron-block over an aluminum block any day.

it's not a coincidence that some of the best boosted engines are the rb, 2jz, vg...all iron-blocks.

sure, the vr38dett is good (and it has plasma-sprayed cylinder liner bores...not your typical aluminum-engine)...but the vq's, at high levels of boost and/or power, require iron sleeves. and you're also speaking from generalizations, do you have a high-boosted vq35hr or vq37vhr?

iron-block engines are a thing of the past because of the focus on emissions and fuel-efficiency, not because of strength and/or performance...you'll notice, performance engines, for the most part, are also a thing of the past...look at honda and toyota. two of the biggest car-makers, and they don't focus on performance cars anymore. weight, i'll give you that. i agree, it's lighter.

always great to debate with you, simmode1.

simmode1

Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of KA-T and I absolutely HATE SR's. But they both have pro's and cons in their favor. But I don't really feel like taking this thread too far off topic, so I'll just stop there.

You and I would have different power goals and perspectives, so we won't see eye to eye on this. I'm not debating whether aluminum or cast iron is stronger. The answer to that is obvious. I'm simply stating what I would rather have and that I'd be ok sacrificing some of that strength because I won't be boosting high enough to need it anyway for my application.

Sub-400hp in a V6 weighing around 330lbs is a wet dream of mine. Even the weaksauce VQ35DE can do that. Some ppl are pushing that motor to 500hp on stock internals now. The others I mentioned are going even higher. But at over 500hp, I start to lose interest to be honest. I just don't need that much effing power... lol

Z32TT
Car: 90' 300ZX TT

Plenty of guys have done it with very nice power gains, but everything is custom when they go the single route. I suggest going on 300zxclub and searching "single turbo" you will find some guys build threads with dyno numbers.

ArticDragon192
Car: 91 Z32 2+2

Single turbo, although cool and awesome for big numbers, takes a lot of work and planning of how you're gonna route your plumbing. The only VG, I think, that would work best for single turbo, would be that one out of a Leopard, since it always was single turbo and single throttle body from the factory.

simmode1

ArticDragon192 wrote:The only VG, I think, that would work best for single turbo, would be that one out of a Leopard, since it always was single turbo and single throttle body from the factory.
:werd: Yeah, the 1st & 2nd gens had single turbo VG's. The 3rd gen got the VQ30DET.

xS-13x

thats exactly what im tryin to get across to him.
1. he doesnt even know how to put a turbo on (like he just thinks u just put it on there and it works)lol
2. he doesnt have any tools
3. he has no idea of the concept of research and planning.
and thats would be a lot of custom work to take a na 300z and boost it. am i right?

Z32TT
Car: 90' 300ZX TT

eh you really wouldnt wanna boost the NA platform, I mean guys have done it but they dont always last. Better to single the TT platform instead.

simmode1

:eek: Save your save the headache and just tell him to buy one of these...
Interfoolers FTMFW! :rolleyes:

AchilleZ32
Car: 1990 Nissan Z32

simmode1 wrote::eek: Save your save the headache and just tell him to buy one of these...
:lolling:

Your friend is a tool. The Vg won't handle more than 12 psi and even then, it won't last very long. It's pointless to try to na-T the Vg30de. Power gains will be fairly minimal (300whp tops) and isn't worth the fabrication invlovled.

xS-13x

i know!!! thats what i keep tellin him.

xS-13x

simmode1 wrote::eek: Save your save the headache and just tell him to buy one of these...
and he did want an srt4 before he go his Z :lolling:

Z31toZ32
Car: 1999 Infinity QX4

why would you want to re-invent the wheel? if you have an NA and want a turbo and have the funding to TT your NA, why not sell your NA and jusr buy a tt? It is much easier. Second even if your friend could figure it out, it is just a matter of time before it goes boom. I spoke with a few (2) people that did this at Brett Rameys garage and they each lasted about 6 months with 9 PSI before they imploded.

jbracy7

yep! 6 months to the day mine starting knocking and spun a bearing and welded some valves closed. all after 3 hot laps at my local 1320 :frown: ([email protected] psi)

sodtoast
Car: 1991 2+2 300zx

why does the vg30 look so good an s14 im jealous

simmode1

^^^I think ditching the clutch fan and battery relocation helped make a lot of room. Now that I look closer, I don't see a powersteering resevoir, coolant resevior and there seems to be one fuse box missing. A pretty thorough engine shave & wire tuck.

MyfairLady
Car: 300zx

mmm let me chime in.
first becareful if you ask this topic on 300zxclub,com i almost got banned for it (just the topic no tom foolery)

second:
your both right in a way. The N/A will handle some boost. without modding the motor internals you can get it up to 300rwhp as someone has stated. Most ppl are scared of the high compression ratio of this motor. BUT...this upcomming summer im going to reveal my 450rwhp single turbo motor. Some enginering buddies of mine have put our minds together and came up with a way. So...it can be done and done with junkyard parts!!

as for the vg30de-t(from the jdm laurel) its essentially an na block with reworked heads and wristpins, Ive taken one apart from a gloria and compared. so that should further be proof that it can be done.

but NO you cant just bolt a turbo on gotta get the neccasary equipment.

if you research, a company built a single turbo N/A. It blew up...but NOT from component or build related reasons! they abandoned the idea, but if you ask them they will tell you all about it!!

xS-13x

yeah im good. i figured out all the stuff i need to know. thanks for all the help guys.

jbracy7

well share yo plans

xS-13x

idk what hes gonna do. lol
i think he's gonna try and twin it. but idk really.
all i know is he's gonna mess something up and im gonna have to help him fix it.

CrazedZ32Owner
Car: 91 Z32 TT(no motor), 2008 350Z Nismo, 05 Pontiac Sunfire speed machine!!! :)

that would be the perfect time to use the "i told you so" card lol

xS-13x

ive had to a time or two. but still he knows better than me. lol

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”