Single Turbo Question

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
justonebar
Car: 1990 Skyline GTR

Guys,

I am still waiting for my GTR to arrive in June.

Torn on keeping the twin turbo setup or going single to get rid of the worn ceramic stockers.

Over the weekend I found an old Blouch 20g turbo in my garage from my STI days. Turbo has probably been sitting for 3-5 years in a box :gotme

I was wondering if I got this rebuilt would it fit the GTR to be used as a single setup?

I want to say no because the 20g turbo is pretty much a Subaru thing.

Not sure on the power rating I would have to check the specs.

Even if it could work I would need a custom manifold and down pipe setup.

Probably easier to just buy a pair of -5's for $2500...bolt on and call it a day.

Just a thought to save money and use an existing turbo I have and maybe stand out from the crowd.

No flaming. Just a random question and I couldn't find anything on Google or using the forum search.

kabob
Car: 1990 Skyline GTR R32

That's a fairly laggy turbo to be slapping on a small-displacement engine like the RB26DETT. Just be aware that even with cams, a few other supporting mods and good tuning, that turbo still isn't going to offer much of an upgrade over stock. The Evo guys say it maxes out at 400hp for them.

justonebar

Thanks bud.

I figured it wouldn't work.

I don't even remember how it drove when it was strapped to the STI, but I probably removed it because it was too laggy :lolling:

Looks like I gotta hit the Subie forums and get rid of this sucker.

Wildtraveler
Car: 2012 mazdaspeed
1989 BNR32

You can find rebuild kits for the GTR turbo that replaces the ceramic with steel. Much cheaper than buying new turbos. Plus then you can choose your blades.

justonebar

I looked into that Wild.

I got quoted $1500 by a shop in Philly to take the turbos off, rebuild with steel wheels, balance them and reinstall.

Still have a 25 year old turbo design and the boost can pushed to maybe 1 bar.

But a set of -5 turbos go for like $2k and are good to 500-600hp.

I could probably get two small precision turbos for $1500.

kabob

I hear ya. I bought a pair of R34 GTR turbos along with the larger-diameter R34 dumps for my R32 when it arrives. I wanted the superior response of ball bearing turbos over journal bearing while still maintaining the quick spool of small turbos. I don't mind even mind that they're still ceramic. R34 stockers are capable of 1.1 bar with proper tuning and that is plenty for my goals.

justonebar

Damn Shihad....where did you find the R34 turbos and dumps!?

I just called Precision turbos.

He said they don't have anything to use for twin setup. It would require custom manifolds/dumps/down pipe.

He said all of their GTR customers go single.

Not the route I am going.

I have a lead on a used set of HKS 2530 -5 with greddy hard pipes/ HKS dumps and down pipes for like $2500, which new would be at least $3500-4000.

My only concern is you can't really rebuild the 2530 turbos because it is so expensive. Better to just buy new ones.

Are you having the R34 turbos rebuilt?

kabob

I purchased them off a bloke in Australia that had upgraded the turbochargers on his R34 and was looking to get rid of his stockers on the cheap. Australia's had Skylines for so long they scoff at stock ceramic turbos. I got them for less than $600 shipped, lol. Check out "GTR's And GTR Parts For Sale" on Facebook for some seriously good deals. It costs a bit more to ship from Australia but the exchange rate is favorable for us.

If they work fine as-is, I'll just run them that way although I need new oil and water lines since the stock R32 journal bearing turbos lack an oil restrictor in the factory lines. If they need rebuilding, Forced Performance (makers of the Big28 upgrade as well as the "FP Green" turbo that's popular with the Silvia/240sx crowd) is driving distance from me and I'll just have them rebuilt there.

justonebar

Yea I joined the Australian skyline group, SAU.

That is where I found the deal for the 2530 turbos along with down pipes, dumps and greddy hard pipe/intake kit.

Shipping all of that will be expensive though.

Two more weeks and your GTR arrives!!

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

M35Squirrel
Car: 1990 GT-R, 2011 M37

Looks like someone is thinking about getting rid of his stock R34 turbos:
http://skylineownersusa.com/forums/show ... post226561

justonebar

scientist...I looked those kits. I can't drop $3-5k just for two turbos.

I have a few leads on practically new -5 from Australia and UK along with the dumps/down pipes/hard pipes for people switching to singles.

Just looking to run a safe/reliable 400hp on stock motor until I have funds for a forged rebuild.

Lol Squirrel....nice find...didn't know you and Kabob belong to every GTR forum on the plant

kabob

Lol, you have to be. It's the only way to get enough info and parts to keep this Skyline thing chugging along without joining the Broke-Arse Skyline Club :p

wisniaPl
Car: 1990 300zx twin turbo...65k miles

They can only handle 400hp stock engine? I would.go single...small gt 35r tewin scroll spools incredibly fast on evos(4cyl engine) it would be even faster on 6cyl and if you want there is always room.to raise boost and make solid power

justonebar

No the -5 are good for 640hp. 300-320 per turbo.

I was just saying with that setup I wouldnt want to blow past 400hp without forging the Pistons/rods and upgrading fuel/oil systems.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

justonebar wrote:scientist...I looked those kits. I can't drop $3-5k just for two turbos.

I have a few leads on practically new -5 from Australia and UK along with the dumps/down pipes/hard pipes for people switching to singles.

Just looking to run a safe/reliable 400hp on stock motor until I have funds for a forged rebuild.

Lol Squirrel....nice find...didn't know you and Kabob belong to every GTR forum on the plant
And you are about to take delivery of arguably one of the most expensive to maintain used cars out there? Wow, you are going to learn real quick how in over your head you are if a set of turbos breaks you. :ohno:

This isn't some beat up old Silvia you can keep running with frugality and crossed fingers. There are no cheap parts on a GT-R. I can go right over to Nissan and buy GT-R parts direct and the s*** still heats my wallet up.

M35Squirrel
Car: 1990 GT-R, 2011 M37

Even better, fully upgraded R32 stock turbos with N1 style steel wheels.
http://skylineownersusa.com/forums/show ... post226574

kabob

themadscientist wrote:
justonebar wrote:scientist...I looked those kits. I can't drop $3-5k just for two turbos.

And you are about to take delivery of arguably one of the most expensive to maintain used cars out there? Wow, you are going to learn real quick how in over your head you are if a set of turbos breaks you. :ohno:

This isn't some beat up old Silvia you can keep running with frugality and crossed fingers. There are no cheap parts on a GT-R. I can go right over to Nissan and buy GT-R parts direct and the s*** still heats my wallet up.
It's not a matter of being cheap, it's being smarter about how to maximize where your dollars are spent. Why throw unnecessary thousands on aftermarket turbos when you have modest power goals? That's $$$ that could be spent elsewhere on maintenance, track seat time/performance driving instruction, or into a contingency fund.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”