single DIN head unit and gauge cluster install

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
masoQist
Car: 1990 Q45

The gauges are made by Stri. The plastic housing was purchased off an ebay seller in the UK. It is designed for installing gauges in a VW, but it conforms to DIN dimensions, so is usable elsewhere too. It is a single piece plastic molding and is very nice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIN-Pod-Rack-Headun ... 33639dac19

The brackets that you see were removed from the OEM head unit. The holes match up perfectly with the tapped holes in the Alpine head unit. The mounting depth and positioning are perfect. I drilled mounting holes in the plastic gauge housing and used short screws and speed nuts to mount it to the brackets.

The OEM radio brackets have 3 holes each, one for alignment and two for screws. I did have to elongate some of the holes slightly to get the alignment with the radio bezel just right. With the head unit, you leave the trim ring off. There are no noticeable gaps between the head unit and the bezel, and the faceplate comes on and off normally.

The gauges are a press fit into the plastic housing. Very tight, so they are not going to move. I did have to file the sides of the trim rings slightly to get the gauges to clear each other in the housing.

Not shown: I mounted two relays on the back sides of the gauge housing. One allows the head unit to work with the car's radio dimmer circuit, and the other allows the volt gauge to get a reading directly from the battery side-terminals (for what it's worth).

Here is the sender for the fuel pressure gauge.

masoQist

One nice feature of Stri oil pressure gauge is the illuminated needle flashes continuously if the pressure gets below 8 PSI or so. Unfortunately, my oiling system is a bit worn, so when hot, the pressure often dips to 7.5 PSI or so at stoplights.

paranoidjack
Car: 2012 M56s
2003 M45
2001 QX4
2000 Q45
1998 Pathy
1996 J30

Great job!

Looks really nice - how far would you say the plastic gauge housings project from the black plastic face? 3/8"?

Lokim
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 acquired 4/25/10 w/192K
Now at 222K and going strong!

That's BOSS! I wanna do something similar; I'd like the gauges in the HVAC slot, the radio in the top of the double-DIN and the HVAC at the bottom. Thanks for the link!

TBrack
Car: none

Needs turbo gauges ;)

masoQist

paranoidjack wrote:Great job!

Looks really nice - how far would you say the plastic gauge housings project from the black plastic face? 3/8"?
These particular gauges have aluminum housings and lens bezels. The lens bezels protrude a little over 0.4" past the face of the black plastic housing.

mcrews
Car: 2002 Q45 Sport

Very nice, very clean. I would black uot the rings but besides that I really like it.

qsiguy
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 Turbo

Nice. I will eventually be doing something in that area for some gauges and/or displays, just haven't decided what I want to do yet. Good job and thanks for sharing.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”