Simple fan controller for S13

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
moso
Car: 89 240sx ka24de 5spd
90 240sx ka24de RIP

I did this on my kade when i rebuilt the motor. over 5k mi and no issues!

First you will need to source a few parts from the local JY. most importantly you will need a fan, your choice, I used the Taurus SHO fan. You will need the AC fan switch housing off a 89-90 240sx, its located in the lower radiator hose. you will need a relay, i used a DPST cut out of an 89 240sx to help deal with the high amperage of my fan, but again you can choose your own as long as it is rated above the amp draw of your fan, i like the nissan one because it looks semi stock and i have a bunch of them. you will need a fuse setup, i used a self resetting breaker from auto***e but again you can choose your own. the final part you will need is pretty specific NAPA part # MPE FS130SB http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail ... 0213383702 (its from a Honda, now you can be a Honda Fanboi too! :rotfl )

Install is pretty straight forward. you will need to install the ac fan switch housing in the upper radiator hose along with your new fan switch from napa like so.....
by placing it in the upper hose it ensures that the tstat is open and water is flowing before the coolant fan kicks on and that the entire system is a uniform temp before shutting the fan off.

for wiring you will want to run all the hot side wires from your relay through your fuse (or breaker) directly to the battery hot side. the ground side of the relay you will wire through the coolant fan switch. then run wires from the relay to your fan of choice. alternatively if you don't want your fan to run when the car is off you can run the coil positive side of your relay to the fuel pump fuse.
done and done.

here are a quick couple of photos of the finished product. the relay and breaker are tucked between the battery, coolant reservoir, and fuse box.

hope this helps. if you have any q's just let me know im happy to help.

Pro ViZion
Car: 1990 Nissan 240SX w/ KA24DE

Nice write-up man. I planned on doing this as well.

So the fan comes on when the thermostat opens up? Sounds pretty bullet proof.

Pro ViZion

Oh and did you rig up the fan as a pusher or puller setup?

moso
90 240sx ka24de RIP

air should always flow from front to back, as it would if you were driving forward.

Pro ViZion

Can we get this as a sticky or in and archive or something. I believe this is truly useful info.

OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

Not bad, I should show you mine.... a headache lol. I'll post this is the ultimate sticky.

moso
90 240sx ka24de RIP

Just a quick note, I found my sensor sticking in the run position today. This makes me wish I had originally wired the relay to the fuel pump fuse instead of the battery, not allowing the fan to run after shutdown. I will probably change the sensor in the next few days, just something to keep in mind.

compactfean
Car: 89 240sx s13 sr gt3071r 23psi
B14 sentra ser sr20de-t 7psi
daily

I unfortunately can't source the coolant neck..... No 240sx's anywhere close to us. I was already planning on doing the power source to trigger the relay from a 12v ign switch source before you posted this.... And just fallow the rest of the write up. Lol. Great write up! And I'll keep looking.
Update, found a coolant neck and ran the napa sensor. Didn't even last a year so went with a fan switch from a 91 or 92 civic from orie**y. Went with the lifetime warranty switch in case I run into my fans strong on again.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”