silvia paint job in sol Cal area???

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
wickiewicked_240sx
Car: 93 240sx

I just wanted to know if any of you guys got there s13 painted in sol cal area if so how much was your paint job and what shop was it. I wanna know of any good paint shops in cali. I went to a shop in Lynwood they did and estimate and it was $1,500 dollars for intalling the ORIGIN STYLISH BODY KIT getting rid of the dents and painting the car white.

TurboSilvia7587

there is a awesome place called MOB works in orange, ca. They do a really good job. The site is http://www.mobworks.com By the way, that is a sweet color.

xxxh28
Car: vertible240sx

MOB works charge too much.. i send all my friends/family etc. to my autobody teacher. He's not only GREAT with autobody, but he's also a legitimate guy. He always tells you exactly what he's going to do, keeps you updated, and is always ON TIME. i don't know, if you're interested or want to know more info, give me an email. I'm just trying to help out, don't think of this as advertising OR ANYTHING because i'm not getting anything out of it.

Stev0n
Car: 90 LS13.5 M6
08 HD Superglide 106ci M6
94 Ranger
97 mercury sable
96 Rape Van

1500 hundred is an amazing price for any part of the country...especially cali!!

Here smack dab in the middle of Kentucky, it'll cost you $800 just to get your car primed!

no body work, just straight sanding, priming, and sealing...

1991S13
Car: '91 240sx Coupe, '00 QX4 4x4, '02 Sentra Spec V

I agree with sileighty_stev0n...

I paid $600 to get the dents taken out, body kit on, and whole car primed.

In two weeks the guy that does my body work is going to paint it for $2800. He told me the cheapest he would do was $2000, and that was without clear coat.

He told me he would do it for free if I let him paint it hot pink...

kepani

they're exactly right - unless you've got the "good deal" from that shop, $1500 won't be enough to get you a stunning paint job. a lot of the money from the paint job goes into the prep work. even looking at $300-$500 for the paint, the remaining $800-$1000 won't really cover for the prep work usually required.

i suggest you shop around and look at some cars that come from each shop.

kepani

HKSpeed

the cheapest I found was $1200, if i sanded the car and masked off or removed most of the trim/lights. this was a hook up price from a friend's body shop.

I felt weird paying for a paint job thats half of what my car is worth, but would only increase its value by a 100 or 200 dollars. so i got a $500 job from one day paint and body.

in the end, you get what you pay for.

wickiewicked_240sx
Car: 93 240sx

just came back fron ENSENADA, BAJA CALIFORNIA i went to a body shop and asked for price to paint car and they told me 1,800 dollars and they will take them about 3 to 4 weeks. i was checking out a truck they were painting it was like a 1950 something the year it was painted red with black fenders and you know how hard is to paint with black paint for no dent s to show up. The paint was good the quality of the workmanship was great. they said they would paint everything outside, door jams, trunk,under hood engine bay and the fender they will paint them seperatly from the body and they will install the body kit and paint it.

Stev0n
Car: 90 LS13.5 M6
08 HD Superglide 106ci M6
94 Ranger
97 mercury sable
96 Rape Van

1991S13 wrote:I agree with sileighty_stev0n...

I paid $600 to get the dents taken out, body kit on, and whole car primed.

In two weeks the guy that does my body work is going to paint it for $2800. He told me the cheapest he would do was $2000, and that was without clear coat.

He told me he would do it for free if I let him paint it hot pink...
WILL HE PAINT MINE HOT PINK FOR FREE????? I was thinking yashio pink... but for free I'd love to have hot pink.....i'm not kidding, and flame me all you want. I like hot pink, have 2 hot pink tattoos and my g/f likes that i like hot pink - according to her it stands for *****.... (which is apparently how she knew that I liked the color before I ever told her...)

HashiriyaS14
Car: 95 S14, 08 CL9, 08 NPS50, 03 Ninja 250, '60 Super Cub

That's why you do the prep work yourself.

If you're not towing the car to the paint shop, you haven't done enough prep work.

Pull EVERYTHING, BARE frame/body panels, positively everything else removed, spot-weld while you're at it, and then get it painted, and build back up.

HKSpeed

sileighty_stev0n wrote:
WILL HE PAINT MINE HOT PINK FOR FREE????? I was thinking yashio pink... but for free I'd love to have hot pink.....i'm not kidding, and flame me all you want. I like hot pink, have 2 hot pink tattoos and my g/f likes that i like hot pink - according to her it stands for *****.... (which is apparently how she knew that I liked the color before I ever told her...)

doohopark
Car: 97 240sx

um hello there is more to prep work then sanding, and there is more to sanding then getting some papaer and going to town, a crappy sanding job, ie useing the wrong grit, wrong technique ect can lead to a really crappy paint job, and shop that will paint a car preped by some one else is ripping you off, it will look like crap, thay can also blame what ever happens during the paint job on the prep work, just pay the professionals to do it if you really want a good paint job.

GripR
Car: 92 miata

i track my car and auto x it a lot. i'm not much of a show car type. have any of you guys had any experiance with earl scheib paint & body? i got a friend who has a friend that works at one. he said he would paint my car stock color for $300 6 year warranty. to an avid road racer that is a great deal. so have any of you guys done any of kind of body or paint work there?

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

Why dont you search the name in our database?

Geez, you newbs sure are lazy people.Take some initiative already.

GripR

Dude I did check, no info on earl sheib from what I've found. I read all the post about paint, paint codes and how to do your own back yard paint job. So don't tell me

"Why don't you search the name in our database? Geez, you newbs sure are lazy people. Take some initiative already"

Why don't you use the search engine before you start clowning people? I could have started an earl sheib paint job thread but I rather hi-jack a (n) old thread so I wouldn't waste server space. If there is another way I could search for this info on this forum please let me know. So far I've used the search engine provided by this forum.

Red coupe
Car: 92 Nissan 240sx Coupe

umm I think cause we were already talking about it he just asked here, its not like he started a new thread or even realy hijacked one...And im curious too, HKS how did it come out? and how long ago was it?

kepani

this is how i see it.

if you "veterans" have enough energy to post "do a search" or something along those lines, you ought to have enough to help a fellow out and post up a handy link or something.

kepani

HKSpeed

earl scheib is okay for the money. there are horror stories of earl schieb's quality, but those stories are from the 1980's where Earl Schieb painted cars for $29.95. Thats not a typo. $29.95. Of course any place that does a $29.95 job will turn out crappy.

That being said, earl schieb's $300 job is good for the money. If appearance is very important to you, save your pennies and get a $1500 job. If your car is ghetto ugly and you want something decent, Earl Schieb and 1 Day are good.

For $300 they will maske everything up instead of taking the time to remove and reinstall trim/moldings/etc. You will get orange peel look and some super minor blemishes. The paint is super brittle/super thin. It will chip and crack easily, then flake easily. From 5 feet away, the car will look like a champ. For $300, I'm not complaining.

Everyone I've met who was happy with their Earl Scheib/1 Day Paint & Body jobs, all had cars that looked like *** before the paint job (flat black like me, primer paint jobs, oxidized paint, mismatched body panels, bondo repair spots, etc). Remember, you get what you pay for. For some people that means taking in a large grain of salt.

Heres a $300 Earl Schieb job (red jetta). The original paint was faded and oxidizing bad.

$300 1 Day Paint & Body job (red S13). The original paint was faded, clear coat was chipping, and the Sivia front conversion was a different color than the rest of the car)

My $300 1 Day Paint & Body job.My Silvia conversion parts were all different colors, so I did a krylon flat black job. I painted my fmic flat black to match the krylon. 1 Day color matched it when they painted my car. Idiots. Oh well.
Modified by HKSpeed at 10:45 PM 5/17/2005

GripR

thanks for the info/pics hkspeed, what color is your blue?

kepani, i feel the same way sometimes...

ButtaSc0ttch
Car: *91 Sil-80

Hey whoever wanted Paint Jobs in So. Cal let me know. My friends "friend" owns a body shop in Pomona, they told me they would do my whole car for 1000.00 flat and its pretty decent. (no body work) I actually went mickey mouse and decided to go with Earl S. When I first got the car back I was excited, but its been a few years and the paints already chipping and really you get what you pay for, but at the time I wasn't too crazy about 1000.00 paint jobs. I plan on re-painting my car Silver (the right way...aka No Earl S. or 1 Day Paint) But as for now the impact blue isn't that bad. LMK if you guys want more info on this paint shop in Pomona. Their is also a shop in West Covina called CITRUS AUTO, which does pretty decent work. Consider it a step above Earl S. and 1 Day Paint. Prices range from 500-700.

PS. I'm in the mood for tARO BOBA!

Return to “240sx General Discussion”