Silverstar Scam

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
qship96
Car: 1996 Q45

I have been preaching how these are garbage on this site for years.........for the few that have not understood that and believed all the false hype Sylvania has been spewing regarding this junk,this might help you save a few bucks http://www.ledinside.com/news/2014/7/os ... se_ad_suit

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

It's hard to believe people still buy garbage halogen bulbs, opposed to aftermarket HID kits anymore. :rotfl

qship96

yeah,all the true geniuses have "upgraded" their "awesome" HID kits to even smarter LED retrofit headlight bulbs.......always a sucker out there to want someone to take their money for junk.

nismopcparts
Car: 1999 Infiniti Q45

Been going on since 2011, but appears there is finally potential settlements...

http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsuit- ... nitial-ok/

http://www.law360.com/articles/273823/s ... ights-suit

I will say this. They "are" brighter than standard bulbs and provide a wider path, but the lawsuit states they lied about the actual percentage of gains to be had to make more profit...

...they exaggerated the increase in light output and pattern by testing standard bulb vs. Silverstar in different settings, not the same.

I use a Silverstar on my bike and would recommend them to anyone requiring extra light output because the stock output sucks the llama's @$$ on some older bikes. Are they stupid expensive? Absolutely, but I have found no other bulb that is cheaper that provides any better output.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

I bought them once for a '98 Quest and found them to be s***.

qship96

nismopcparts wrote:Been going on since 2011, but appears there is finally potential settlements...

http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsuit- ... nitial-ok/

http://www.law360.com/articles/273823/s ... ights-suit

I will say this. They "are" brighter than standard bulbs and provide a wider path, but the lawsuit states they lied about the actual percentage of gains to be had to make more profit...

...they exaggerated the increase in light output and pattern by testing standard bulb vs. Silverstar in different settings, not the same.

I use a Silverstar on my bike and would recommend them to anyone requiring extra light output because the stock output sucks the llama's @$$ on some older bikes. Are they stupid expensive? Absolutely, but I have found no other bulb that is cheaper that provides any better output.
Sorry,they are NOT brighter than a standard halogen bulb they replace......they actually put out LESS lumens- it is the difference in color temperature in Kelvins that is fooling you into thinking that.No "wider path" either.If you drill into sylvanias own corporate website and find the spec sheet for their different lines of halogen bulbs you would see the actual numbers- less light,shorter lifespan than even their own non colored standard bulbs.

nismopcparts

qship96 wrote:
Sorry,they are NOT brighter than a standard halogen bulb they replace......they actually put out LESS lumens- it is the difference in color temperature in Kelvins that is fooling you into thinking that.No "wider path" either.If you drill into sylvanias own corporate website and find the spec sheet for their different lines of halogen bulbs you would see the actual numbers- less light,shorter lifespan than even their own non colored standard bulbs.
To each their own thoughts and opinions. I don't go by manufacturer spec sheets, others comments or hearsay. I go by actual results by personal use. I've purchased many things over many years based on "specs" that I regret and will admit to, but that is the name of the game when upgrades/downgrades are considered. I've also purchased many things not based on "specs" over many years that far surpassed my expectations.

I don't regret purchasing a single Silverstar H4 for my bike. I have a '94 Honda Magna and it emits a horrible light pattern, is extremely dull at night and unmistakeably horrible when using a standard H4 bulb.

The H4 Silverstar 's do emit brighter (to me) and wider light pattern compared to the standard H4 in my '94 Honda Magna. If that means the color temp is providing better light output in my situation at the same lumen as a stock bulb, then that is what it means. Proven time and time again during night time driving on unlit roads. I don't care if the spec sheets state otherwise, I don't care if the lumens are supposedly the same or as you stated lower.

What I do know is that what I see farther ahead of me in my path while riding at night using the Silverstar is all that matters to me.

My personal experience will differ from others personal experience based on specific application, vehicle make and model. I have not installed Silverstars in any of my cars over the past 27 years and have never had any reason or plan to. So I can not comment on those applications or results...

qship96

Sorry,as much as you value your thoughts and opinions,the facts just dont support your feelings.You seem to be fooled into wanting to believe you spent your money wisely,when the facts are just the opposite.

nismopcparts

qship96 wrote:Sorry,as much as you value your thoughts and opinions,the facts just dont support your feelings.You seem to be fooled into wanting to believe you spent your money wisely,when the facts are just the opposite.
I began to respond to this differently, then realized that I was right...

...to a certain extent. :facepalm:

I am not using a Sylvania Silverstar bulb. I am using an OSRAM Silverstar bulb. OSRAM is the parent company of Sylvania and I bought the bulb online which is where I buy most all of my stuff for my cars and bikes. It is NOT in the same packaging as the Sylvania retail stores and is not the same spec and it is NOT the blue tinted glass version found in retail stores.

I can only say that I am extremely happy with my Silverstar and will continue to use it. :dblthumb:

qship96

yes!!!!!!! The osram silverstar, sadly not officially marketed in the USA, is a good bulb,and constructed using a clear glass envelope VS the blue tinted sylvania branded silverstar bulbs marketed in the USA.....2 VERY different bulbs sadly sharing a similar name and nothing else!

PS...if you want an even better bulb that draws very similar amps to the OSRAM silverstar, try the Osram Rally 70/65 series,part number #64205!

OwnerCS

A few years ago I installed two Sylvania Silverstars to replace a failed OEM bulb on my Honda Ridgeline. Roughly one year later while traveling through Memphis TN during a car club event both failed within 20 minutes. Having two bulbs fail within 20 minutes taught me a lesson about Sylvania Silverstars.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

At least you know the quality control was "consistent" :D

Heath

OwnerCS

Q451990 wrote:At least you know the quality control was "consistent" :D

Heath
Yep - When they indicate XXX hours of bulb life they were serious about it.. POOF and they were both gone.. :ohno:

NightRiderQ45
Car: 1998 Infiniti Q45

the Silverstar bulbs have been a marketing genius, but the bulbs themselves suck. The Xtravision, cheaper bulbs are actually better. I had HIR on my car but those bulbs sold quickly after I posted a FS thread. Aftermarket hid kits are garbage too if they are not in a retro. I just installed M45 projectors into my Lexus GS's headlights and used OEM denso slim kit to power the bulbs. Great light.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

qship96 wrote:Sorry,as much as you value your thoughts and opinions,the facts just dont support your feelings.You seem to be fooled into wanting to believe you spent your money wisely,when the facts are just the opposite.
Sometimes personal taste > facts. I like 6000k HID output as the more-blue light highlights the white strips on the road better IMO...even though the 6000k has less lumens than the factory 4300k :)

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”