Signs of dying HID ballast?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
lmheim
Car: 2002 Q45

When the original HID ballasts die on a 2002, do they begin to dim slowly over time, or do they just go at once? One of my low beams is dimmer and yellower than the other and I am wondering if I just need to replace the bulbs or if the ballast is heading toward a slow death.

On a related note, according to the service manual, changing the bulbs requires the entire headlamp assembly to be removed, which looks more complicated than I expected. Any tips or comments on that? Thanks.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

If you are certain that both of your headlight bulbs work. The typical signs of a ballast going bad are light flickering, dim light output, and/or no light output at all. The ballasts that came equipped with the F50/Q45 are known to burn out prematurely. The FSM provides instruction on how to properly change the bulbs. However, many Q45 owners change the bulbs via the wheel well. :yesnod

dferrero
Car: Infiniti 2002 Q45

For at least a couple of years, maybe much longer, I would notice every now and then my driver's side low beam out. If I turned the turn-signal/light stalk from Auto to Off, then back on, it would come back to life, no problem. As I said, this wasn't the case every time, maybe 10% of the time if that. Recently while driving in Boston, I noticed it was out. I tried my trick but this time it didn't work. Back in town, I spoke to the dealer parts dept. They said $185 for lightbulb!!! I called AutoZone which had a 'deal' for $100 - OEM. A local auto mechanic friend carefully replaced the low beam and waalaa - nothing! So $100 for the new bulb and $50 for his time and still no workie. :( Dealer tells me it is likely the ballast. Parts department quoted me like $600+ and dealer labor sounds to be $250+. What's the deal? Shelling out near $1000 for a low-beam fix feels like money wasted. I've had no other signs of a ballast going bad, no flickering, no off color, nothing. That's why I'm wondering if it's a loose wire. I'm certain the dealers method of troubleshooting would be replace ballast...

What is the forum advice? I love the car but these crazy expensive repairs every other year seem silly.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”