Shifting...?

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
RED's240
Car: Women, my 240, the gym, the beach

I was driving my car the other day and all of a sudden when shifting from 2nd into 3rd it felt like the whole transmission shifted with it. It was like a loud popping noise and then it went into third. I've also had a a little problem when shifting into 3rd and 5th, it'll make the vary slightest grinding noise, like a grr. then nothing. Another thing... My clutch has about an inch or so of play in it. I can sit there and push it down about an inch and it doesn't disengage anything, the inch is from where the top of the pedal lays to an inch downward toward the floor.

Any similar probs? Feedback please...?

1991240xs

The freeplay in the clutch is not a problem..it's called freeplay..it's supposed to be there. The grinding you hear in 3rd in 5th is the worn synchros for the gears...i dunno about the popping noise you described though...For the slight grinding sometimes just refilling the transmission fluid with mtl or redline will mask the noise and make the gear slip in without the grinding on the synchro...my second grinds like hell...my third does at high rpm's..just be easy on the transmission-

240_s14

Synchro, def. synchro

240's are notorious for synchro problems. Almost every person I have talked to in person, and alot on the internet by the way, have had problems such as your "grinding b/n gears". Mine is b/n 2nd and 3rd. I flushed my tranny and put some Mobile 1 synthetic in it and it helped a little. Good luck:withstup

Good240
Car: Cars, Music, Movies

If synchros are a common problem in the 240SX then also do the 300ZXs,Pickups,early 200SXs, and Silvia's in japan because they all use identical transmissions minus bellhousing.

1991240xs

Good240 wrote:If synchros are a common problem in the 240SX then also do the 300ZXs,Pickups,early 200SXs, and Silvia's in japan because they all use identical transmissions minus bellhousing.
Are you sure of this. I was wondering if I could get a 300zx tranny mated up to my ka Bellshousing. Would it even be any stronger than the 240 tranny?

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”