Shifter is very stiff when Transmission is cold(Winter Weather cold)

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
A.Tech
Car: 1998 Nissan Maxima SE Black on Black 5-speed, and yes. I know my avatar is a Gen 5... lol

So I came under the thought that well since it is about 10-30 degrees out there everyday here in New England during winter. My Shifter is hard to move. When I get into my car start her up, my shifter is very very stiff until warm up or driving, even when I wiggle her in neutral(which is kinda odd) she is stiff.

It like as if the gear oil was way too viscous(thick). IT will get better as I drive and all, but I don't think it is too good for the tranni for me to drive under higher viscosity oil while it warms up because the gears don't get the lube they need as I shift or drive.

I had it changed about 4 months ago @ a transmission shop because I did have the time to do it myself(Was only $30 bucks) and they put 80 weight in my tranni. It was just gear oil though. That is what there computer came up with so they did it cause I did not knew what type of standard transmission oil it too.

Could this be a wrong type of oil added for the winter? IS the oil too heavy for the winter? Can I add something or completely change this oil again to something lighter? I know winter is almost over(Thank god) but I still don't want to risk any Transmission gears or Syncros to get bad on me do to lack of lubrication...

Thanks...

Modified by A.Tech at 1:45 PM 2/22/2007

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

80 weight is correct. 80w-90 is factory spec.

I would check to make sure they didn't overfill it. It's supposed to take 9 1/8 to 9 1/2 pts of oil for the VLSD, 9 1/2 to 10 1/8 pts for the open diff.

Have a look at your linkage, too. Make sure there's nothing binding or bent.

A.Tech
Car: 1998 Nissan Maxima SE Black on Black 5-speed, and yes. I know my avatar is a Gen 5... lol

I don't have VLSD though...

I Wish I did though...

O ok, Edit... I saw your Open Diff part... my bad...lol

A.Tech

Also, there is no real way to check this, mainly because it is a fill plug, and I assume like most shops do... They fill it up until it leaks out of the plug. I am getting worried though. Because if is overfill, extra air develops from that and that can cause leaks.

mbarabasz
Car: 1996 5 speed I30

My 96 I30 is like that too I just let it warm up for 10 minutes and it's fine.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”