Shaky steering wheel after new rims...

All things Altima Coupe.
Sacky2.5
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5S 6MT + Premium Package

so I just had a chance to drive my car with my new rims on the highway and i notice that once I hit ~60mph my steering wheel starts to shake a little...

do you guys think this is an issue with balancing or not having the lugs tightened enough? or any other reason why this could happen right after getting new rims on?

thanks

Sacky2.5

booooo nobody knows?

Altima_Coupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 3.5se

when i first got my rims on, i had to go back to the shop to have my lugs retorqued after around 150 miles cuz they were new. my steering above 60 shaked after i got my wheels on too. my shop said when the new lugs get hot, they loosen a little.

mcheddadi
Car: R8

Sacky2.5 wrote:so I just had a chance to drive my car with my new rims on the highway and i notice that once I hit ~60mph my steering wheel starts to shake a little...

do you guys think this is an issue with balancing or not having the lugs tightened enough? or any other reason why this could happen right after getting new rims on?

thanks
HUBCENTRIC RINGS

SuperHeero
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 3.5

Sacky2.5 wrote:so I just had a chance to drive my car with my new rims on the highway and i notice that once I hit ~60mph my steering wheel starts to shake a little...

thanks
They might not have been balanced right or they aren't centered or maybe the alignment is bad...?

nogears909
Car: 2008 Niagra Grey Coupe 2.5S CVT

i have the same problem, i think mine gotta be retorqed cuz mine have hubcentric rings

vi3t89
Car: NISSAN ALTIMA 2.5s

get them retorqued i had a similar problem

Tommy:]
Car: Altima Coupe 2.5s MT

How do you know if you need hubcentric rings?

Sacky2.5

yeah gonna get em retorqued - that seems to be the problem, the guy just used the impact wrench to put em on and didn't do it manually afterward.

already got hubcentric rings so i'm guessing that's the prob. thanks for all the input!

08altima35
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 3.5SE 6Speed Manny Artisan Turbo Dark Slate

retorqued? i'm sure they just need to be rebalanced. if they were put on with an impact i'm sure they're torqued plenty. if your lugs were loose it would be a hell of a lot more than your steering wheel shaking. your tire could be "out of round" but i doubt it. it also could be your hcr's being too small. have them check them as well.

good luck

Sacky2.5

dammit so hard to take care of this crap that i can't do on my own when i'm working all the goddam time.... o well better get it done before my wheels pop off

Scandinavian Flick
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE

i agree completely with 08altima35, this isnt a lug torque issue, this is either a wheel balance, or a HCR issue.

Silver Dollar
Car: 2008 A/C Coupe 2.5S Premium /w CVT

I have the same problem at around 100 klicks (60 mph I guess) and I was told I just need an alignment.. Haven't taken it in yet though

Scandinavian Flick

anyone out there , question for the masses.

if your alignment is out, say even severely, like a camber angle of negative 10 degrees and a toe angle of 10 degrees out, lets say you are going 60 mph why would the tire create a vibration? what is vibrating? i know it would most likely be howling because of the angle being at such an extremity, but thats all it would do in my opinion, why would it vibrate?

people always say when cars have a vibration to check the alignment, and ive probabally told people to do that also, but i just dont see how that could cause a vibration.
Modified by Scandinavian Flick at 9:19 AM 7/31/2008

cspear
Car: A/C 3.5 Black w/ Red leather and tech package

I agree FlickI would think if it was alignment, it would pull right or left.

If it vibrates, and you feel it in the steering wheel, and rims and tires are new, then it's probably one of the front tires that is just a little out of balance.....

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

Scandinavian Flick wrote:anyone out there , question for the masses.

if your alignment is out, say even severely, like a toe angle of negative 10 degrees and a toe angle of 10 degrees out, lets say you are going 60 mph why would the tire create a vibration? what is vibrating? i know it would most likely be howling because of the angle being at such an extremity, but thats all it would do in my opinion, why would it vibrate?

people always say when cars have a vibration to check the alignment, and ive probabally told people to do that also, but i just dont see how that could cause a vibration.
Force in motion. Think about this - you have a tire and you just roll it forward on the ground. It goes straight, right? (unless the ground is uneven, but we're talking perfect world here). Of course it does - it has no reason to do otherwise.

Now take that same tire and try rolling it on edge - it wants to veer to the side with the edge, correct? You've change the contact point and the weight distribution for the contact point.

Now put this on your car. If you are out of alignment, your wheels are going to be pulling whichever way they are set. However, the car wants to go forward from the momentum you are creating by driving it. The battle of your wheels pulling the car in the direction they want versus the momentum of your car going foward is what is causing the car to shake, rattle and roll in funky ways.

So yea...it could be the alignment.

Scandinavian Flick

marlin29311 wrote:
Force in motion. Think about this - you have a tire and you just roll it forward on the ground. It goes straight, right? (unless the ground is uneven, but we're talking perfect world here). Of course it does - it has no reason to do otherwise.

Now take that same tire and try rolling it on edge - it wants to veer to the side with the edge, correct? You've change the contact point and the weight distribution for the contact point.

Now put this on your car. If you are out of alignment, your wheels are going to be pulling whichever way they are set. However, the car wants to go forward from the momentum you are creating by driving it. The battle of your wheels pulling the car in the direction they want versus the momentum of your car going foward is what is causing the car to shake, rattle and roll in funky ways.

So yea...it could be the alignment.
so what your sayin is, that the vibration would be the tire basically "skipping" because it wants to go left the vehicle is going straight and as opposed to sliding slighty its skipping.

hey if thats it, then good times, just seems odd to me still,

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”