Setting KA24E Timing *HELP*

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
bassboost

Hi all,

I have a 1989 Nissan 240sx with a KA24E engine, I'm trying to set the base timing for the engine. I have both notches on the cam gear and crank facing 12'oclock with the crank dot facing about 5oclock and cam dot facing at 3oclock. I had set the chain with the shiny links on the respective dots, however when I turn the engine over by hand, these shiny links no longer match with the dots they were originally set at? Any ideas?I have a 1989 Nissan 240sx with a KA24E engine, I'm trying to set the base timing for the engine. I have both notches on the cam gear and crank facing 12'oclock with the crank dot facing about 5oclock and cam dot facing at 3oclock. I had set the chain with the shiny links on the respective dots, however when I turn the engine over by hand, these shiny links no longer match with the dots they were originally set at? Any ideas?

I have tried searching google, nico, everywhere and can't seem to find an answer! What exactly is the purpose of these "shiny" links that are on the chain? And am I doing something wrong that I'm not noticing that's throwing all of this setting off?

Thank you!!

bassboost

Here's what I have everything set at! Any clarifications on if this is correct? From everywhere I've searched and read, it appears correct?

Cam notch at 12 o'clock with dot at 3

Crank notch at 12 o'clock and 2nd dash from left lined up with pointer

Distributor pointing at cylinder 1

Oil pump shaft keyway at 12 o'clock with the "backwards D shape

And just to be sure, my spark plug wire order

The_caveman
Car: 93 nissan 240sx hatch(daily build)
1992 Coupe (drift build)
1990 240sx hatch(wrecked slut)
2008 hyundai sonota - girls car/reliable! i drive it better tho ;)

Is this just how single cam plug wires are run because that seems wrong my distributer is 180' out from what I know. So the wires are ran like that...
So I thought that was 180 out but your doing them the same way o_O

Are single cans different from de in that way?

S13_RB25
Car: A 240 but no RB yet!

Yea im kind of with caveman! Check the distributor cap and see if you have the wires going to the right cylinder!

bassboost

Well, from what I've gathered, the cylinders go as follows for KA24E:
Front of engine: 1,2,3,4
On the cap:

Firing order: 1,3,4,2 in a counter clockwise motion.

Actually managed to find a factory KA24E at a junkyard still intact with the wires still ran and a factory cap!

Got the car started too, and did some adjusting on the distributor and TPS, and it seems to be 10x better now! :mike
However, one thing I did notice I couldn't manage to get the TPS to read 0.5v @ closed throttle? What I did was disconnected it at the actual plug on the TPS, not the dangling wire off of it. Then, ran engine to operating temp attempting to adjust. The throttle appears to be at 700-750rpm, I got a reading of about .335v @ closed throttle. Then, reconnected plug and restarted car and adjusted distributor. The car idles pretty close to what I stated above, with a hiccup here and there but quickly corrects itself. In drive(automatic car) with the brake on, rpm is at 500rpm. Has strong power, and no engine noise.

Any thoughts as to why I'm getting that reading on the TPS?

jp2code
Car: 1994 2wd D21 Hardbody, Longbed, V6
2001 2wd Automatic Xterra SE
2004 Sentra

FYI: That's why it is good for forums like this to host their own images.

Now, this thread is useless.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

You resurrected a 6 year old thread to complain about not seeing pictures of a junkyard engine and of bassboost's timing marks? Is that right? This isn't a write-up and bassboost doesn't need your feedback on his timing marks anymore. The thread served it's purpose and I agree, it is now useless to most... Your post wasn't very productive (or nice) either you know.

If you need help with timing, the FSM is a great start. If you need additional help and instruction, like bassboost did, feel free to post up your own thread. We have quite a few members who would be happy to offer assistance, myself included.

jp2code
Car: 1994 2wd D21 Hardbody, Longbed, V6
2001 2wd Automatic Xterra SE
2004 Sentra

I came to a 6-year old thread to see how to work on the timing on a 30 year old engine.

If the thread is a picture tutorial on how to get the timing right on a KA24E engine and the pictures are gone, the thread should be deleted.

You are a moderator. Make it happen.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”