Service engine soon light 2009 Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Rogue216
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue

Today at 2300 miles my service engine soon light came on, has anyone else experienced this with this many miles on theirs give or take a few ? Just curious if this is a heads up notice for an oil change coming up or what. I only seen this happen to me once when I owned a 2006 Altima & don't remember the mileage but it was shortly after I ran the tank low and refuled. Took 10 recycles of the Inigtion and disappeared.

Jerry98vert
Car: 08 Rogue 98 Cobra

Is your gas cap on tight?

If it is you need an OBDII reader to know what is going on.

RubenTheRogue
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD

again...gas cap...most common issue

Rogue216

That's what I'm thinking, did fill up yesterday morning. Just checked the cap & redid it. Started the engine up a few times but still have the light. I'll give it a few days & see if it resets. Read the manual and indicates cap but also indicates problem could be the CVT. I'm leaning toward the cap as the source of the problem, thanks for your replies.

Rogue216

Well low and behold, start up this morning light still on. Stopped for coffeee and few donuts get back in the car start up, light still on. After about 12 miles into my trip the light goes off. So I guess the problem was the Gas cap not being on tight.

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

Rogue216 wrote: Stopped for coffee and few donuts...

bronail
Car: 2008 Rogue

Just got this fixed at dealer. Gas cap was tight but evap control system valve had failed.

kcab
Car: 11 Versa

I have a 2008 I bought new my "Service engine soon" light came on when I had less than 1300 miles on it. I've had the car for about 4 mos. with the same locking gas cap on it since I bought it, this cap was also on my 98 King Cab (it had 50Kmi.) and the light never came on. I took the car to the dealer and he said it was a gas cap problem and put the original back on. After a few weeks I went and purchased a new locking gas cap the Stanton 11508/or 10508 depending on which store you buy from. Shortly after the light came back on and has been on for about 2 weeks now. I don't think this is the real problem, is there any way to have these caps checked? And how long does it take for this light to reset? I never let my tank get below 3/4 full.

chove1437
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

It take a few trips. Possibly 3 or 4 days. Depending on how many times you drive the car a day. If it is not the gas cap, its probably an emissions sensor. I personally think its the gas cap.

My personal opinion is I never like the seal of an aftermarket gas cap. Feels flimsy and loose. Just my 2 cents.

kcab

The Stanton 10508, or 11508 is the correct cap for this car the info If got from site Stanton . My other point is why would it take 3 months to come on if it were the cap.

Rogue216

I now have over 5000K on the car and the light never came back on again. Mine was due to the gas station attendent not screwing in on tight. Now I listen to the clicks and if I feel he didn't do it right I retighten it myself.

philipa_240sx

kcab wrote:The Stanton 10508, or 11508 is the correct cap for this car the info If got from site Stanton . My other point is why would it take 3 months to come on if it were the cap.
All modern cars perform a 'system readiness test' to ensure the integrity of the fuel system. It's federally mandated and is designed to reduce evaporative fuel emissions. Basically it uses a combination of sensors to test for leaks in the gas tank either by applying a pressure or a vacuum. There are some pretty strict conditions on when these tests can be done. In some cases, it can take days/weeks before the conditions are right and the system can perform the test. This is why it takes days/weeks for the light to activate/deactivate.

I have heard of many reports regarding Stanton gas caps. Some work flawlessly, others have nothing but problems. It depends on how well the cap fits and how it's used. Unfortunately there is no fix short of trying another gas cap and the dealer will not provide any help as it's not an OEM Nissan part.

MadMontie1
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD in Gotham Gray

mine had come on too, 08 Rogue with 17k miles which i recently stopped driving regularly. had the same issue as Bronail. Evap control valve failure which needed to be replaced.

service writer sid it cost warranty almost $300 to replace, which means if this is a common issue, it's gonna cost closer to $400 if its happens outside of warranty

chove1437
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

19,000 kms. Check engine soon light came on during my commute to work. Thought it might have been the gas cap. But, I'm one of those guys who constantly turns the cap to hear the clicking sound to ensure that its closed. Turns out it was the Evap Control Valve getting stuck closed. The had one in stock and changed it on the spot. Covered under warranty.

Seeing as it was in stock, I can only assume that they were aware of the problem.

captcab
Car: Nissan Rogue

This happened to my 2008 Rogue. It could be coincidence but it happened the day after I filled up the gas tank and overfilled by squeezing a little extra in. It went away after the next fillup. Weird.

mfsn

The service engine soon light came on about a month ago on my 09-SL-AWD Rogue and the dealer ordered a new gas cap to have it replaced. After 2 visits (2 40-mile roundtrips on toll road) to the dealer and 1.5 hrs wait each, the gas cap was replaced and the light was gone.

Filled-up the tank yesterday and guess what? Today the service engine soon light came back on and I am starting to regret my decision to have purchased a Nissan Rogue. I am feeling such a foolish right now.

RubenTheRogue
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD

You feel foolish purchasing a Rogue b/c of a know gas cap issue?! I hate to see what happens if you have the dreaded CVT rattle or center console squeek!!!

It's one of 2 things: 1) You have bad luck and got 2 faulty gas caps OR 2) You do not tighten the gas cap the 3 or 4 clicks as recommended after filling up.

I see you live in Boston, do you use self -service gas stations where you pump your own gas, or full-service where someone else pumps it for you?

My SES light/gas cap issue happened after filling up in New Jersey where you cannot legally pump your own gas. The gas monkey did not tighten the cap enough and the light came on.

I read the code with my OBDII scanner and had a scheduled service in a few days anyway, so I had the dealership clear the code. They also re-flashed the computer so as to not make the system so sensitive.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

mfsn wrote:The service engine soon light came on about a month ago on my 09-SL-AWD Rogue and the dealer ordered a new gas cap to have it replaced. After 2 visits (2 40-mile roundtrips on toll road) to the dealer and 1.5 hrs wait each, the gas cap was replaced and the light was gone.

Filled-up the tank yesterday and guess what? Today the service engine soon light came back on and I am starting to regret my decision to have purchased a Nissan Rogue. I am feeling such a foolish right now.
What??!! This is a minor little issue that'll be gone in no time, lets keep things in perspective here!! Every vehicle has a good chance of having a minor little problem, and if this is the worst thing about your vehicle then you've got a damn sweet ride!!

lexsim
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD Wicked Black

Mine came on around 4300 miles. It stayed lit for about a week before I took it in. They reprogrammed the ECM (??) per a tsb. I haven't had any problems since then.

jandrewm
Car: 2008 nissan rogue sl awd

Ok, I have a 2008 my SES light came on around 20k. Figured it was gas cap, checked couple of trips later light went off. Two weeks later light back on again. Re-capped cap (which was on tight) light did not go off until I filled up a week later. Light comes on last week. Checked cap, all seemed tight. Light wouldn't go off. Filled up...light still on three days later. I take it to the dealer with my story. Put it on the code reader and tell me it's the gas cap. Pressure test system and reset code. Charge me $53.00 and give me a lesson on how to put on a gas cap. BullS...!!! How about replacing my cap and bill nissan under warranty??? No will do. Help! I emailed Nissan but have yet to hear back. Com'on, I'm the only driver and after driving the car 18months just now I'm not putting the cap on right? Get real.

kcab

Don't hold your breath waiting for Nissan to respond. I contacted them in regards to another problem I had with my key fob; the set screw fell out one day, leaving the metal key part in the ignition. My local dealer couldn't fix it because their key cutting machine was broke. The dealer said that Nissan would send them a blank; didn't make sense to me, I thought all they would need would be the number from the tag attached to my key. So I contacted Nissan USA I believe it took a couple of weeks before I heard back from them. That was a waste of time, Nissan's answer was that the dealer's machine was to be repaired. I knew this the part's guy told me that just didn't say when. Key still broke, think I'll just go to Home Depot and see if I can't match up a set screw. NOT THE QUALITY I EXPERIENCED IN THE PAST WITH NISSAN! Don't think my next vehicle will be a Nissan.

jandrewm
Car: 2008 nissan rogue sl awd

Well Nissan USA did contact me in the time period they said they would. Seems they're going to side with the dealership. Told me that if the problem continues to take it to another dealership. Reps excuse is "I'm not a technician, I can only go by what the dealer tells me." Dealer told her I had the cap on crooked. Last I knew the cap only went on one way...if it clicks its on right. Maybe my fault for not taking it to the dealership I bought the car from.

At least I got her direct telephone number. I'll be sure to call when the light comes on again.

Chas1
Car: 2009 ROGUE SLAWD

Three month old thread.. My MIL SES light came on tonight at 3140mi. Checked the cap, sure enough, it was on crooked. I click it in too but it seems that this thing gets hung up on the retainer somewhat.

Return to “Rogue Forum”