Seal leaks and other problems on a 96 max

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
maximalou
Car: 1996 Maxima

This is my first time posting and I would first like to say hello to everyone.

I live in Rockland County, NY (right above New York City) and am the owner of a 96 Max (base model) with 156K miles on it. I purchased it in 1996 with only 3K miles on it and it has mostly been problem free over the last 10 years. I normally change the oil everyone 3K and keep it maintained well. I've had no major repairs to it because I haven't had any really big issues with it (outside of the usual like struts, breaks, strut mounts, e.t.c). The car is driven everyday by my wife to work (about 30 mi per day). I recently went to a Nissan care care clinic where they check over your car for problems free of charge and was informed that the valve cover and crank seal were leaking. I was also told that the oil pressure switch, drive belts and idler pulley need replacing (the mechanic did mention something about a "pump" but his english was not too good). The total cost to repairs these items was about $1300. Wanting to get a second option I went to another clinic at another dealership and was told that it was leaking coolant out of the water pump, the rear main seal was leaking and that the drive belts needed replacing (not the idler pulley thou). But to replace these items also came up to allot of money also.

My questions are (a) is there a simple way to check all of these items myself to see if they really need to be replaced (with the exception of the belts which I know need to be replaced), (b) are the crank seal and the rear main seal the same thing and (c) with the exception of the drive belts, if none of the above mentioned items gets replaced and I always check the fluid level will the car be O.K?

Any help with the matter is certainly appreciated.

Maximalou

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

valve cover gaskets can be replaced no problem. Just have to remove the intake manifold for full access. The crank seal is probably the seal that goes behind the crank pully. This is cheap and relatively easy to replace when you replace the belts (pull the pully, pull the seal and replace).

Not sure about a waterpump at this time.

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

Those car care clinics are just a way for the dealer to try and drum-up service work.

a)Nearly every oil pressure switch (look for a sensor going into the oil pan) I've seen on any 4th gen seeps - normally not enough to drip.

The crank seal could be replaced the same time the belts are replaced. The seal costs less than $10 from the dealer; and the only additional labor required after removing the belts is to remove the crank pulley, pull out the old seal, and install the new one.

If you are not losing coolant, I would not do the water pump.

I would only do the valve cover if the oil is dripping/burning.

b) No. The crank seal is on the front side, while the rear main is on the back where the transmission connects.

c) I would personally have the crank seal taken care of. But as long as you maintain the proper levels, and provided the water pump is not bad, everything should be fine.

maximalou

I have a much better idea of things now. You reply is just in time for I am probably going by the shop tomorrow.

Thanx,maximalou

maximalou

Great info

Thanx allotMaximalou

maximalou

Almost forgot....

I understand that one of those items that I have listed to be repaired is very labor intensive and as a result expensive to do. I just don't remember what part it was. Is replacing the valve cover gasket, crank seal or rear main seal labor intensive and expensive to do if done by someone else (other than the dealer)?

Thanx,Maximalou

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

Out of the ones you listed, rear main would be the most labor intesive, since you have to remove the transmission to gain access to the seal. The water pump would also be a labor costly repair as well.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”