Scotch Guard for Leather Seats

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
sschantz
Car: 08 Nissan Rogue AWD SL

Is there such a thing as scotch guard for leather seats? Looking at a car with Beige leather and am wondering if I should chance it as I have a 2 and 5 yr old, generally very good about eating and drinking in the car but...

sileung

I have the fabric seats on my Rogue and have been using the 3M scotchguard. I initially sprayed in when I first purchased the car back in Aug. 2008 and just the other day I spilled some water on it and the liquid still beads. This product is great.

As for leather, 3M also makes a product for it and I think it would be worth while to get some extra insurance by giving it a good spray.

philipa_240sx

There are lots of good 'leather conditioners' on the market that should do the job just fine.

takeshi
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

sschantz wrote:Is there such a thing as scotch guard for leather seats?
Not that I'm aware of. I'd recommend asking someone who specializes in automotive leather care though.

woolsocks
Car: 2009 Rogue SL & 2003 Frontier SE

I don't mean to take over your thread, but... I recently purchased a Rogue with cloth seats. Where does one find Scotch guard? Can you get it at you local auto parts supply store like Advanced or Auto Zone?

duck411
Car: Current 2009 Rogue + 1998 Pathfinder, and Former 1980 Datsun 210

sschantz wrote:Is there such a thing as scotch guard for leather seats? Looking at a car with Beige leather and am wondering if I should chance it as I have a 2 and 5 yr old, generally very good about eating and drinking in the car but...
Here's something I found while I was doing the same research.http://www.properautocare.com/propleatcar.html

silverboy

woolsocks wrote:I don't mean to take over your thread, but... I recently purchased a Rogue with cloth seats. Where does one find Scotch guard? Can you get it at you local auto parts supply store like Advanced or Auto Zone?
I got it from Home Depot. I used it in the past and appplied it to a cloth seats.

zakmartin
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue, 2008 Nissan 350Z Touring

I wouldn't put anything on your leather except cleaner and conditioner that you can buy from any auto parts store. Scotchguard is good for fabric and can be found at just about any supermarket, but be warned, it will make your car stink for WEEKS. Also protect your plastic trim from overspray (a towel should work).

Elton Noway
Car: 2009 Rogue SL FWD Phantom White Black Cloth

woolsocks wrote:I don't mean to take over your thread, but... I recently purchased a Rogue with cloth seats. Where does one find Scotch guard? Can you get it at you local auto parts supply store like Advanced or Auto Zone?
silverboy wrote: I got it from Home Depot.
Yep! Got mine from Home Depot as well. I did the WHOLE interior... and not just the seats! I did the carpet, headrests, backs of the seats (kids kicking the seatbacks) and I even did the headliner. Yep! In my previous car my nephew opened a can of soda in the car and it sprayed the headliner. I lived with that stain until we sold the car. Never again. Headliner + ScotchGuard = Piece-o-mind.

Anyway to do ALL the interior (all fabric surfaces) I used 4 ½ cans. Even at $5 a can… $25 -$30 to protect the interior of your new car is cheap piece of mind insurance. Word of warning… mask off, cover, or use some type of spray shield so the ScotchGuard will not get on any plastic interior surfaces (like door trim etc) Scotchguard will leave a whitish foggy film on it when it dries. You can clean it off but it requires some elbow grease. Your best bet is to mask or shield, and… have a wet cloth nearby. If you accidentally spray some on plastic it wipes off easily when its still wet.
sschantz wrote:Is there such a thing as scotch guard for leather seats?
Not really. ScotchGuard is absorbed by the fibers of the fabric, sealing them so liquids can't soak in. Leather on the other hand is like your skin (cow skin... but still skin) As skin... it has has pores in it just like your skin. Yes... it can certainly stain but you can offer it some protection. Like your skin it leather interior needs a quality moisturizer (no... not the cheap crap from the automotive isle at Walmart.

If you have a good quality leather conditioner on all exposed surfaces it will be protected from stains since the staining liquid cannot get to the actual surface of the leather.

FYI: I've always had good luck with Malco Leather Conditioner:

http://www.google.com/search?h...ell=1

crayb
Car: 09 Rogue SL Fwd (Prem,Lther,Snrf), 11 Hyundai Sonata SE, 04 Lexus RX330, 92 Mazda Miata C 5spd

Lexol is the best for leather IMHO. They make a cleaner and a conditioner. It will protect the leather and prevent stains from setting in. I've used it exclusively on my Miata and it's a 1992 with ZERO wrinkles or tears in the leather, also used it in my RX330 since 2003 and leather is in excellent condition.

The Lexol is easy to apply, spray it on wipe it off with a cloth and it smells great, refreshes the "leather" smell. I've even removed ink with the cleaner.

Ray

SquiggyFreud

I Use mequiar's cleaner/conditioner 2 times a month, smell is good, seems to work. usually a 15 minute job.

Elton Noway
Car: 2009 Rogue SL FWD Phantom White Black Cloth

crayb wrote:Lexol is the best for leather IMHO. They make a cleaner and a conditioner. It will protect the leather and prevent stains from setting in. I've used it exclusively on my Miata and it's a 1992 with ZERO wrinkles or tears in the leather, also used it in my RX330 since 2003 and leather is in excellent condition.
WOW! ZERO wrinkles or tears in the leather interior of a 1992? Either I've been using the wrong conditioners, or you've found a winning combination, or your 92 Miata has bullet proof interior.

As careful as my wife an I were, no pets, no kids, and using conditioner on a regular basis, our 92 Vigor had its share of wrinkles and two deep wrinkles that eventually cracked. There were no stains and the color and finish was still as pretty as the day we purchased it... but the driver and passenger seats had their share of wrinkles. I keep my cars a long time. Because the leather interior did not last as long as the car itself... I swore I'd never buy another car with leather.

After reading your claims I did a little Googling and found an Amazon review where a guy claims he used Lexol every month and when he sold his Jeep it had 300,000 miles on it and not a single crack in his leather!

Hmmm… I didn’t apply conditioner every single month… maybe that was my downfall.

NOTE TO sschantz: Forget my recommendation on Malco... based on crayb's statements and what I've read online it sounds like you'd be crazy not to use Lexol.

NOTE TO Self: If you ever buy another car with leather interior use Lexol every month!

crayb
Car: 09 Rogue SL Fwd (Prem,Lther,Snrf), 11 Hyundai Sonata SE, 04 Lexus RX330, 92 Mazda Miata C 5spd

I only apply the Lexol twice a year. I might add that my Miata has 109,000 miles and is always garaged.

I had a 98 Honda Accord that had awful leather, felt like plastic. I kept it in good shape but when I sold it in 07 (285,000 miles) the leather was shot. I think Honda was going on the cheap with the leather they put in those 90's cars. Not sure how it is now as Honda has no vehicles I wish to own.

Ray

KCS

I've been involved with horses a long time, and am very picky with the way I treat expensive leather gear. I give Lexol the thumbs up -- it's great stuff.

Return to “Rogue Forum”