Safe for a Transmission Service?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
miccris93
Car: 2000 Infiniti I30

For a while now (cold NJ winters), whenever I start my car in the morning, the shifting can be a bit weird, as in it kinda pushes the car forward and flares/ slips a little, until it is warm. It also will hold RPMs high when doing >1/2 throttle acceleration, and kinda jerk into gear, unless I have been driving it for a long time. When I went to the dealer for a part, a technician asked me about my car (asked what year (2000), said it was in remarkable condition :big grin:) and so I asked him about what I had been experiencing. He asked me if the transmission had been serviced, and I answered probably not. I bought my car this past June with 22k, so I am unsure of its maintenance history, even how short. I asked the parts guy about the history, but he told me that to see it, I have to go to the dealer where it was done (my dad claims he saw the history at some dealer, and that it was all done at Infiniti), but that dealer is 45 minutes away. So now my question is, would it be safe to get the transmission serviced (flushed) in a few months? Since June, I have put about 8k on the car, so now it sits with 31xxx. I imagine that in the spring it will be around 35k. Would it still be safe to get a trans service at the dealer then? I saw in the manual it states to have the transmission serviced every 15k, but I am unsure if it was ever performed. Thanks for any advice!

jltibbs
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa SL
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

With that low miles, you should be perfectly fine. Do it whenever you get a chance.

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

Please check level and color of ATF. A good fluid is pinkish red in color. If it is faded or brownish, I suggest you do a flush as soon as you can. ATF deteriorates due to heat and as it ages over time.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

loystock wrote:Please check level and color of ATF. A good fluid is pinkish red in color. If it is faded or brownish, I suggest you do a flush as soon as you can. ATF deteriorates due to heat and as it ages over time.
I agree with this. Perhaps look into installing an in-line transmission filter such as a Magnefine to filter the transmission fluid. The Magnefine contains filtering media (similar to that found in a typical oil filter) which has efficiency in the vicinity of 35 microns, as well as a powerful magnet very similar to the one found in the transmission pan to trap all ferrous wear material, as well as improve efficiency of the filter somewhat since size is not a restriction for the magnet. A 3/8" one will most likely fit the current transmission cooler return line hose.

Any Infiniti dealer will be able to print out the entire service history of your vehicle (obviously that only applies for service done at dealerships). Also, you can do a transmission cooler line exchange yourself if you would like to save some cash and if the weather permits. Here are the steps:

You will need:
12 to 15 quarts of automatic transmission fluid, preferably Nissan Matic D
A clear gallon jug, something like an empty milk jug
Another large container to store used fluid for disposal

1. Disconnect the transmission cooler return line and secure it in a collection bucket such as a clear gallon milk jug. This will be the hose on the driver side of the vehicle; disconnect the end leading towards the transmission.
2. Have a helper start the car while you watch the bucket - once it's half full (2 quarts), yell for the helper to stop the engine.
3. Add 2 quarts of ATF through the transmission dipstick.
4. Drain collection jug into larger jug (i.e. a Disposoil - these only hold 10 quarts though in my experience, so have something else to hold the last 5 quarts).
5. Repeat steps 2-4 until you're out of ATF.
6. Check fluid for proper level (see the next question and answer for details), and recycle the old ATF. Any place that takes used oil will likely recycle ATF.

miccris93
Car: 2000 Infiniti I30

Thanks for all the replies. Maybe I'll think about doing that method, Towncivilian, if a trans service at the dealer has an extremely high price. My car was made in 7/99 so I'm curious if there is anything that should be changed out after some TSBs I found (see #2 in this other thread: questions-on-some-i30-maintenance-t549283.html as I replaced my O2 sensor and the code hasn't come back up.). Just since I'm sick of the slight slipping if the car is cold/ the high RPM holding if I use a lot of throttle from a stop unless I drive the car all day first.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”