S15 HLSD into S14 pumpkin part list.

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Pento240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX SE, 1981 Datsun 210 Deluxe, 1981 Datsun 810 Maxima Deluxe and 1999 Infiniti Q45t.

Hello to all. A lot of people will flame me because of this, but to be honest I have been searching for quite some time and only find S15 HLSD to S13 pumpkin and not much on the S15 to S14 pumpkin (Maybe I have searched wrong). Well if you could help me out to see if I have all the correct parts, that would be great. Also I am confused about the backlash adjusting if someone could explain I will be grateful.

Here is what I have.
- S15 HLSD Unit
- Left Side Output Shaft (Part # 38220-29U61 LH)
- Right Side Output Shaft (Part # 38220-29U60 RH)
- Timken Differential Bearing & Race (Part # 30209C)
- Differential Seal SFK (Part #550231)

Is there anything else I'm missing? Thank you, I appreciate your time.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

That's it mostly, but one more significant thing. You'll need either special bolts or a sleeve for each bolt to get the ring gear onto the hlsd unit. I mean your ring gear threaded hole is like a 12 mm and the diff hole is like a 13 mm. I have this setup and you need the bolts (someone says to torque it down and I don't recommend that at all). Here's another thread talking about it: s15-diff-bolts-t212966.html

The bolts are kind of expensive, but they add a MM to the bolt diameter. Here's a place to buy them (ask for NICO Club discount of like 10%): https://frsport.com/Nismo-38102-RS500-O ... 83185.html

The other option is to go to the parts store, get a foot or so of metal tube with 12mm inside diameter and 13mm outside diameter, go home and cut that into short sections just a hair thinner than the depth of the hole in the differential, then put those into each diff hole and run the 12mm bolts through those. The sleeves are what I did for my car... fit like a glove.

Now, the hard stuff... you may need a huge splitter to remove old bearings and do need an equally huge press to install the new ones. Consider finding a local shop and paying a few bucks to have them do it for you. I paid $15. Setting backlash requires a variety of shims to select the correct thickness from to align your gear mesh. Google it to see procedures in write ups and videos. Check out preload as well. Also, check the FSM, I'm pretty sure the procedure is in there in addition to the specs for measuring the lash and lap type stuff. The real issue here is that if your backlash doesn't just work on the first try, then you'll need different shims and they're expensive, especially if you think you need a variety to choose from. So, I took mine into a 4x4 offroad shop (they practically specialize in differentials) and had them shim it for me to set backlash and preload. This cost me $80 and I feel I overpaid a bit. Now, you could be lucky and your current shims might work (plus you can swap sides for a different fitment) and you just need some marker stuff to check the gear mesh.

Pento240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX SE, 1981 Datsun 210 Deluxe, 1981 Datsun 810 Maxima Deluxe and 1999 Infiniti Q45t.

Thank you very much centralcoaser. I will check up into some shops that could set backlash and pre-load . I really appreciate the information, I was starting to get overwhelm. Once everything comes in I will see if I do a write up.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”