s14- red top or notch top?

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
fiznat
Car: Grown up :(

Planning on getting an SR for my s14, but I'm not sure if I should go with the red top s13 model (does that even fit? I swear people put the red top in their s14s...), or should I (or have to?) get the s14 black (notch) top?

I know it's much cheaper for the red top... are there any real differences besides the valve timing and the turbo? If they can in fact both be used in the s14, are the benefits of the black top worth the extra $$?

Sorry if this question has already been asked before... that search function was buggin out on me :(

ITR_KILLR

the S13 uses a high port design versus the S14 low port. I'm not sure what wiring issues you would have puttin a S13 in a S14, maybe someone else could elaborate

Daunttless

The S13 will fit into the S14.

The wiring is more difficult, but still do able, the engine still bolts in just the same.

The only major difference is the blacktop has vvt, a better turbo, better cams, and is low port. If you are going ot modify the motor, none of that matters.

Lots of people put redtops in their S14s.

If you don't plan on modifying the motor at all, the blacktop would be the better choice.

Anything else we can help you with?

fiznat

well I plan on doing whatever I can for the engine of course, as long as the money lasts... :)

... but while I might change the cams and maybe upgrade the turbo, I dont think Id ever (or could?) just add VVT to the thing-- how much difference does that make?

Daunttless

As soon as you start modifying, you'll have to rip out the VVT anyways, theres no sense in adding it, the system doesn't go well with tuning.

fiznat

heh alright then! guess that solves it... I was lookin at the prices... I could have the red top installed for about the same price as just buying the black top and installing it myself... hmmmmm

SpeedRacer1
Car: 1990 240SX, G35

I never really liked the thought of crossing chassis codes and putting an S13 SR into a S14 and vice versa. If you are going to do the install yourself it would be easier on you if you had the S14 Blacktop, but if your gonna pay someone to put in a redtop then by all means let them figure it out.:pface

mattback
Car: being a big f'ng ricer

high port all day

s14 motor if you plan on keeping the stock exh manifold stock turbo type internally wastegated and stock cams

Ace
Car: S14

I have a S14 and I was going to do a S14 SR20DET but I plan on modifing it so I decided to go with a red top. I plan on swapping the motor myself but sending my harness and ECU to get adapted by Heavy throttle or someone else. BTW Daunttless are you going to be doing any wiring like Heavy Throttle does?

Daunttless

Right when we open up we'll be a bit busy, but we may be offering that as an option sooner or later. : )

fiznat

uhm... speaking of the differences... what are the differences between the high port and low port designs?

battyx

I believe the high port is better for air flow then the low port. There for better for any aftermarket modification you plan on doing.

ITR_KILLR

the high port intake manifold is different from the lowport, which places the TB in a different location(affects I/C kits) also, on silvia DET's the lowport has VVT.

so if you plan on building a high horsepower S14, a S13 blacktop would be the best basis. what are the wiring issues, on my 200 I used the stock harness and sent the stock ECU to JWT for appropriate programming.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”