s14 head unit wiring

Post all your Nissan electronics, car audio and stereo questions here!
DriftingJesus

Does anyone have any s14 stereo wiring diagrams ("premium")I tried to hook up my Panasonic head unit last night with an adapter I got from crutchfield and its not right since Im not getting power to the head unit and the antenna keeps on trying to rip its self from the car.

Also I bough some infinity refernce 2-way speakers for the car is it alright if I run them off of the factory amps. Or can I hust power them through the head unit 50x4 amps.

Rex
Car: None

Here's what I found ...

Quote »Bypassing the factory remote mounted amps when installing a stereo into a '95+ SE model

I recently purchased a ’95 SE with a malfunctioning OEM Clarion CD stereo (the front speaker amp was dead). No problem, I thought – bought a Kenwood stereo and a wiring adaptor for ’95 and up Nissans ($7 at Wal-mart), connected everything up, and…nothing.

Not good.

The first issue I ran into was that the SE model uses a diversity antenna setup (one in the rear glass as well as the usual power rear antenna) with a non-standard two prong plug. Additionally, the system is wired to use the antenna as the ground, so it has to be hooked up in order for the system to power up. Fortunately, an adapter exists that plugs into the standard antenna receptacle ($12 at a local stereo chain). So, I hooked up the adapter, and…nothing.

Aargh.

The ’95+ SE (as well as other Nissan/Infiniti models of the same era) uses a system with remote mounted amps – in this case, under the rear package shelf. If you want to avoid re-wiring all six OEM speakers, these have to be disconnected and bypassed. The problem is that they are connected to the rest of the system by two plugs containing a total of twenty wires.

Again, no problem, right? – just find a wiring diagram. Good luck. An extensive search of the Net did turn up a copy of the European S14 factory service manual…but the Euro version apparently didn’t offer the CD system – at least, it wasn’t documented in the manual. Bought the appropriate Chilton manual for the car, but the wiring diagrams it included were too high level to be of any use.

My research had allowed me to identify about half of the amp wires, but trial-and-error connecting had resulted only in blown fuses and the triggering of the “Check Engine” light ($90 to have the codes read, diagnosed, and cleared).

Taking the gun out of my mouth, I decided as a last resort to remove the OEM amps, take them apart, and see if I could figure out which wire went where. Salvation! Turns out that Clarion has thoughtfully marked the circuit board in each amp with the function of each wire (in English, no less!). So, to prevent other S14 SE model owners from going through this little “challenge”, I have shown below the layout of the connector wires, and a “map” to show what to splice to what:1 Blue left front speaker neg. input2 Black right front speaker pos. input3 Blue/yellow left front speaker neg. output4 Brown/white right front speaker neg. output5 Brown right front speaker pos. output6 Pink left front speaker pos. input7 White right front speaker neg. input8 Blue/white left front speaker pos. output9 Blue acc.10 Green/red on/off11 Purple left rear speaker neg. input12 Pink right rear speaker neg. input13 Green left rear speaker neg. output14 Pink right rear speaker neg. output15 Blue right rear speaker pos. output16 Green left rear speaker pos. input17 Blue right rear speaker pos. input18 Red left rear speaker pos. output19 Blue acc20 Green/red on/off Splices:1 to 32 to 54 to 76 to 811 to 1312 to 1415 to 1716 to 18 It will be noted that the above scheme leaves out four wires – the two “acc” and the two “on/off” wires. No combination of connections or grounding of these wires powered up the stereo, so I ran a new switched power wire from the fuse block to the stereo (red wire). Stereo works, antenna works, no popping fuses or flashing lights. [/quote]Does this look like the right image?

DriftingJesus

Im not sure if thats what i'm looking for since it only shows one of the plugs but its a good start. Thanks

Plus its a hell of a lot better then my plan to stick an m80 fire cracker in the dash

Rex
Car: None

See if any of these look like the back of your OEM HU you took out.

http://www.carstereohelp.net/i...1.gifh ... /i...1.jpg

A couple of them may be what I linked in above.

Also found this ...

Quote »The amps are located at the rear deck. Unplug both amps and toss them into the garbage, then jump the following together:

Front Amp---------White to Brown - Front Right Input (+) to Front Right Output (+)Black to Brown/White - Front Right Input (-) to Front Right Output (-)Red to Blue/White - Front Left Input (+) to Front Left Output (+)Blue to Blue/Yellow - Front Left Input (-) to Front Left Output (-)

Rear Amp--------Blue to Blue - Rear Right Input (+) to Rear Right Output (+)Pink to Pink - Rear Right Input (-) to Rear Right Output (-)Light Green to Red - Rear Left Input (+) to Rear Left Output (+)Purple to Green - Rear Left Input (-) to Rear Left Output (-)[/quote]

DriftingJesus

Whoa! rex u the man

I was about to put all this crap on here but you already posted it

Return to “Nissan Audio / Entertainment / Security”