S13 wont' start. battery not dead, won't turn over, but has one click noise.

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
sileightysomeday

Ok, so a few weeks ago, my car would take several tries to turn over, on the first few tries it would just make ONE click noise. after a few tries it finally turns over and starts the car. about a week ago, my car wouldnt' start and it made the typical repeated click of a bad starter, ok. so i push start the car and then run runs as before for a week, now it won't start at all. When I turn the key to the accessory spot the dash lights come on, then when I turn the key to start those lights temporarily turn off until I return the key back to the accessory position. last night i tired push starting it, and it didn't work. So i had my roommate jump it and it still wouldnt' start. I replaced the ignition coil with a spare and still nothing, Im pretty sure my starter is on it's way out, but that shouldnt' be the problem. if you can or make some good suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

BTW the car is a '90 SOHC stock KA 5spd hatch.

SeVa-S13
Car: '05 GTO 6spd

Bad battery connection.

sileightysomeday

I checked the battery connection. I just recently replaced the Terminals with brand new ones. I'll try to take them off and move them around a bit anyway. thanks for the suggestion. anything else? just in case? the ground on the battery is tight, and the positive side coming from the tranny harness seems to be intact and tight. today i pulled the steering column apart to see if there was a loose solder joint but it all looked fine.

SeVa-S13
Car: '05 GTO 6spd

The whole "accessories and clock turning off until you turn the key back" thing is pretty much always a poor connection. If it's not that, it seems you've exhausted most of the steps I'd take...

It can't hurt to check one more time and make sure the posts are clean and you're getting a tight, solid connection.

Good luck.

sileightysomeday

Ok, i just went out and cleaned my battery terminals and posts and put them back, now when i turned the car to the "on' position the lights don't turn off, they stay on, but im not getting it to turn over. i checked the fusible link underhood fuses. next im gonna check the fuses under the driver's side kick panel. this is really stumping me.

krash
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx Convertible

dude, im havin the same problem with the vert. help us both!

srpowered240sx
Car: 90 240sx-sr, 92 F-150, 00 bmw 323ci, 1991 s13 coupe, 99 F250 Dsl

you should have been able to push start it regaurdless. sounds like the starter being bad, the clutch safety switch, or the relay. test the starter by jumping the leads with the car in neutral, or remove and bench test. if its good, move on. then jump the clutch safety switch. if still no worky, replace the starter relay between the battery and the inner fenderwell.

krash
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx Convertible

if its the same problem i have, and it really sounds like it, then its not the starter. i rebuilt the starter once and still had the problem. i replaced it with a brand new one and still had the problem. but im definatly gonna try ur chinese trick thing srpowered.

S14toRPS13

1. Check battery for 12v2. Check to see if starter relay is clicking3. Check clutch switch4. Check for 12v going to starter5. Check ignition switch

Zilvia33
Car: 91 240sx Hatch SH

check the plug behind the clutch pedal. ive been having the same problem on my hatch lately...

Clawhammer

I fixed this problem on my hog today. It was the starter. Actually it was the connection on the starter solenoid. The copper bolt thing was stripped in the middle. It also didn't have a nut holding it in place (the nuts and lock washers sandwich the connector on the starter). Well the inside nut wasn't on there, probably because they couldn't get it on when they stripped the bolt. I took my starter out tonight and swapped the solenoid part and now the car starts up everytime. For the last few months I've been playing click wars with my car...finally fixed!

nismotune
Car: Boosted 1998 Nissan 240sx

S14toRPS13 wrote:1. Check battery for 12v2. Check to see if starter relay is clicking3. Check clutch switch4. Check for 12v going to starter5. Check ignition switch
SI SENOR. ES MUCHO IMPORTANTE...

Wait, importante right??****.

PervyDrifter
Car: 93 fastback

are you sure its not the battery? What kind of battery do you have? If its an optima, then thats your problem. Gel batteries dont liked to be dropped below 10 volts, so if it had hard starts before, its the battery. Make sure you use the meter on the battery when the car is off, testing it with the car will basically test you alternator.

sohcslammed
Car: s13 rb20det

my car did the same exact thing a year ago. i replaced the relay in the front right. behind the right head light. its a blue one that is mounted on the inner fender. i just got one from the local junkyard and its all fixed now.

dgms240
Car: '90 s13 hatch ka24det

mine's doing the same thing. starter and battery are good and new switch on clutch pedal. somebody please help, this sh*t is driving me nutz tryin to find the cause. ps i have an s14 so no relay on inner fender.
Modified by dgms240 at 12:17 PM 9/4/2007

n1smodr1ft
Car: 1998 bmw 540i 1992 sr coupe

im having the same problem tooo.. help pleaze

lbrowne

Theres an old saying when it comes to no starts like this,

One click - starter, several clicks - battery. This has never failed me yet.

jari8378
Car: 2002 honda s2000

lbrowne wrote:Theres an old saying when it comes to no starts like this,

One click - starter, several clicks - battery. This has never failed me yet.

ha ha, i thought i was the only one who thought this.

n1smodr1ft

yeah i thought it was the starter too untill i jumped the silinoid with a power prob e and it turns over... wont start but it turns over

lbrowne

n1smodr1ft wrote:yeah i thought it was the starter too untill i jumped the silinoid with a power prob e and it turns over... wont start but it turns over
If you're jumping it like that, I thought that meant the solenoid is gone on the starter? I could be wrong, but everything you're saying to far it sounds like the starter.

A rebuilt starter is <$100.

1sikS13
Car: 1992 S13 240sx

looks like im a little late on this one.. i was gonna say selenoid..anyways lbrowne i see your sig all the time and boy what a lovely bunch of coconuts.

da240
Car: 98 Coupe

had the exact same problem one week ago. I guess my starter froze so i tapped it a few times with a mallet, and it started.

s13slideways
Car: 93' S13 Coupe awaiting silvia fenders...

does any here ever have a problem where you turn the key but you dont hear any clicks and maybe after 4-6 seconds with the key turned, it just starts and turns over? cuz this has happen to me a couple times..

nisssan-drive
Car: 1993 240sx

s13slideways wrote:does any here ever have a problem where you turn the key but you dont hear any clicks and maybe after 4-6 seconds with the key turned, it just starts and turns over? cuz this has happen to me a couple times..
I am semi having same problem.I try to start my car and of course it doesnt work also makes no noise when i turn the key to start,but the dash and every thing lights up so its not my battery. tryed jumping it just in case but still nothing. checked the wires and every thing seems good. they are all new.

I also need help

slidewaysAZN
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx coupe

ok i had the same problem when i first bought my s13 over the summer and i was having pretty much everything you guys are talking about. i replaced the starter and it didnt change anything, and my battery was good but sometimes if i wiggled the key violently it starts so i was told to check the ignition cylinder. so i looked at it and pushed in the tumbler which is the electrical protion on the back and sometimes you have to push it a couple of times and it starts...just a heads up sometime it shocks you but it doesnt hurt. so if you are having the same problem i had i would replace the ignition cylinder

n1smodr1ft

yeah when i jump it i give power to the blue wire at the connector.. so it powers the slinoid first. I replaced every ground, ignition, starter, relays, and battery. i am stumped

s13slideways
Car: 93' S13 Coupe awaiting silvia fenders...

imma check that out.. too bad its raining... and i dont have a garage

n1smodr1ft

hahaha got it going!! should have listend to srpower cuz it was the interlock relay next to the battery!

nisssan-drive
Car: 1993 240sx

Yeah i got my running to hahaha it was just the little button be hind the clutch. The peace that pushes it in broke on the clutch pedal so it wasnt going in.

Flicktitty
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx 2JZ-GTE Swapped
1994 Toyota Supra
2019 Lexus GX460
1992 Lexus SC400

kind of an old thread but it's better then starting a new one.

Car 93 240SX Coupe AUTOMATIC!Car clicks 1 time for the first 2-5turns then starts.

Replaced -Battery (old one was 6years old)Did a Battery Relocation kit (from summit planned on it anyway)

Started the car up just fine. Now today i got that ****in clicking again.

only happened once so far. But now should i test the starter? or is there a connecter/wire i should check? i don't want to buy a new starer cause the KA is coming out in 3/4 months. don't wanna spend $100+ on a new starter for nothin.
nisssan-drive wrote:Yeah i got my running to hahaha it was just the little button be hind the clutch. The peace that pushes it in broke on the clutch pedal so it wasnt going in.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”