Rogue snow performance review

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
exeunt
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD Phantom Pearl

Well, I just got through my first snow storm in the Rogue, so I thought I'd share my experiences with everyone. We're about 3 inches into our first Canadian snow fall, and I work about 30 mins from home on a regular day. Today it took me nearly an hour to get in with the snowfall, but this isn't due to the Rogue's performance, but mostly the non-Rogues all around me.

AWD in the snow was fantastic. After the first few accelerations and turns I became somewhat confident in the Rogue's ability to handle quick starts on sharp turns to get me into traffic. I did take into account the fact that AWD doesn't do anything at high speeds, or while braking. Bearing in mind that I had my new very expensive toy to take care of, I reminded myself of all the idiots on the road, and that I didn't want to be one, so I admit I didn't take the vehicle to extremes on the open city roads with all the low profile civics I was passing.

I managed to spin the Rogue out once on the way in, or maybe they call them donuts when you do it intentionally on a closed road. I don't have snow tires on yet, so my turning / braking performance handled as well as you can expect for new tires. I really do think that the Rogue will be fantastic with snow tires, so now I'm seriously considering investing in some.

Unfortunately the limiting factor in these snow storms isn't usually the snow, but all the bad drivers and the volume of traffic around me, so AWD and snow tires will only get me so far. Comparatively though, I'm impressed and very happy with how it handled.

JFP
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Phantom White

We also had some snow to play on. Took the Rogue on a few side streets to test it out. Very impressed with how it handled, with solid feedback, and felt planted while taking corners. The stability control engaged when required and didn't take away from having some fun in the snow (safely of course). All around I was very happy with the first drive on snow. Tires weren't to bad (Dunlops) but I agree winter tires are the way to go for the extra advantage.

exeunt

I couldn't detect the stability control, perhaps I didn't shake it hard enough. What does it feel like exactly, or is there an indicator somewhere?

As for snow tires, I did a little research, and if you want to grab winter tires with winter rims for easy seasonal changes, you also need to grab tire pressure monitor sensors for each tire, which add an additional $90 or so to each tire. On tirerack.com, the whole package with shipping, brokerage to Canada and Canadian taxes ended up being between $1200 and $1500, a little high for my winter tire budget considering how well the Dunlops handle.

I think I'm ok for now

JFP

I was also checking for a light or bell, nothing. RAV4 made an ringing noise when S.C. was engaged. I gunned it around a few corners and the back end swung out a bit but from what I noticed th S.C. caught it before it went to far. I'll be out again to give it few more throws to make sure.

My dealer quoted approx. $1500 17's, wheels, tires and sensors.

I was happy with the Dunlops, I'll stick with them for now.

JFP

Had a look in the manual, a "slip indicator" light will come on when it detects slippery conditions.

I went out to see if I could activate it. One thing I did notice is the rear brakes engaging to stop the car from rotating excessively, similar noise to ABS. Couldn't get the light to come on, other factors might trigger the light.

I'll keep you updated.

JP

exeunt

Weird.. If I take my accord coupe into a parking lot and I want to swing it into a 180, the first thing I do is pull up my parking brake which locks my rear wheels. I'm not sure how that's going to help a Rogue gain control, unless its done before the car starts its slide.

JFP

Maybe the car is smart enough to detect if it's in a controlled or uncontrolled slide. Keep in mind I was pushing it to see how it would react.

killercross
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD

Speaking of Dunlops....Mine has Continental tires...They are a very passive tread pattern. I have to admit they were fine for traction in the rain yet we haven't had any snow yet. I saw a couple 2wd Rogues at the dealer with Dunlops so I am curious why two different brands of tires would be on the vehicles this early in production? Are yours US models? Anyone had the Continentals in snow yet?

JFP

Our dealer had a mix of both also.....???

exeunt

Mine is a US model

RedRogue
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium

Ya, I was curious about the two tires myself. Mine came with Dunlops but the Rogues at another dealership here had Continentals.

lozen13

I have the Cont. and drove through a couple Alberta snowfalls and seemed very good

Rogue Man
Car: 06 Civic EX Coupe FG1

I read and saw the comparison test from edmunds on small suvs and the CRV couldn't even climb a small hill! the Rouge can climb hills really well thanks to the intuitive AWD and i plan on getting better tires too it will tackle the snow and it does! great review!

EddNog
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

JFP wrote:Had a look in the manual, a "slip indicator" light will come on when it detects slippery conditions.

I went out to see if I could activate it. One thing I did notice is the rear brakes engaging to stop the car from rotating excessively, similar noise to ABS. Couldn't get the light to come on, other factors might trigger the light.

I'll keep you updated.

JP
I've gotten the light to come on a couple times in rainy conditions while trying some...controlled explorative maneuvers.

Will keep an eye out for it when it snows the first time, but I tend to take it particularly easy in snow after having some...moments, back in the day with the family Murano.

-Ed

amr40509

We haven't gotten to drive our Rogue in the snow yet (hope we don't have to for awhile, its too NEW)!

BUT I do have a lot of experience with the VDC system on my 4x4 '06 Pathfinder (have 35K miles on the truck) so some of it might translate.

VDC seems to use ABS to work on whichever tire will prevent a spin -- working on any of the 4 independently. In a left turn for example I tend to hear it/feel it the most on the driver's side front and passenger’s rear tires.

Does it work? YES! Last winter I played with it a lot. I 4WD High (don't have AWD as an option, just true 4WD High and Low ranges) or 2WD I could pull EASY doughnuts with the system turned off. With it on, I could not do a doughnut from slow speeds, I would have to get a good run before I tossed the truck into the spin. Basically it can't defy physics, but it can save a near spin if you would be on the borderline. It also seems to work as a form of limited slip by slowing down a freely spinning wheel so the other side with more traction can have a chance to get some power.

Where is it bad? In the mud/ruts. I've found that when you are really off road, turning it off is much better because then you don't really want the brakes trying to slow you down, you want momentum.

For snow I’d suggest doing what I do every time I get a new car that I’ll be driving in the snow. Take it out, turn OFF the VDC and find out how it will handle in a skid. Really get a feel for saving it and also what it’s limits are. Then turn the VCD on, try to slide it a bit and see how it feels. You’ll be safer out there if you do get past the traction limits if you’ve been there before, in a more controlled situation, and know what to do.

Has anyone who's been in slippery stuff played with using normal AWD and tossing it into AWD LOCK to see if it really locks you up to all 4 wheels better?

Superdave54
Car: 2008 Rogue

I have Yokohama I/T+ snow and ice tires (non-studded). I am sure that does have some affect on my accessment.

I left the AWD and VDC in auto. I also intentionally made some drifting turns and accellerated intentionally to try and get the Rogue to spin out.

The warning light came on repeatedly but I never lost control. I heard and felt the antilock brakes come on, on wheels that were slipping under accelleration. I an VERY impressed with the traction control system on my Rogue. Bear in mind that I drove in Alaska for 23 years.

I also own a Honda CRV and a Subaru Legacy (both AWD). One thing I have noted that the Rogue does better than the others, is that on initial accelleration it does not HAVE to slip the front wheels to apply power to the rear. According to the manual, it always applies 50/50 power initially, and that has been proven in my mind.

killercross

Well it didn't take that long to find out how the Rogue works in the snow. Had it out in 10cm (4") snow and it worked quite well. Also the next day we had a bit of freezing rain and again it had good traction. In a parking lot I got it to break loose and fishtale however when I wanted to get it back in line it did so with ease. So the Cont tires seem to be ok so far. Going North this weekend where there is much more snow...to be continued.

exeunt

10 inches of snow in 1 day, and I had the most fun I've ever had driving to work! I was 100% in control the entire time, and had no issues with snow, slush, or annoying 2WD car drivers who can't make it through the intersection.

Once again, very happy with my purchase

TwistyO

Took it out yesterday for a good test in some bad conditions, 1" - 2" of Ice Rain, Sleet and snowy mix. oh, and up a long and winding mountain road.

I have never felt more in control of vehicle in such conditions. Very responsive, very easy to take those turns onto side roads. And that is with the Continental tires which seemed more than adequate.

Also blasted up a driveway hill and through some big snow piles with the AWD LOCK. Once again, the Rogue was up to the task.

killercross

30cm (1ft) and it cut through like a hot knife through butter. Very Pleased!

Cristen
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD - Venetian Red

killercross wrote:30cm (1ft) and it cut through like a hot knife through butter. Very Pleased!
Did you have snow tires on? I fishtailed going around a corner last night. And the little slip indicator light blinked while I was in the parking lot at work driving out. I still have the contis on mine.

exeunt

Since yours is a FWD, you probably won't have the same winter driving experience as most. In addition, winter driving isn't all dependent on the car, but the driver as well. When going into turns, just like in dry weather, you should try to slow yourself down as much as possible before the turn, then accelerate through it. Trying to slow down when going into the turn, even AWD won't help you.

Cristen
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD - Venetian Red

exeunt wrote:Since yours is a FWD, you probably won't have the same winter driving experience as most. In addition, winter driving isn't all dependent on the car, but the driver as well. When going into turns, just like in dry weather, you should try to slow yourself down as much as possible before the turn, then accelerate through it. Trying to slow down when going into the turn, even AWD won't help you.
Actually I was going extremely slow... I drive like a granny in the snow, snow tires or not. I think I am not used to that much power... still adjusting. My Vibe was kind of wimpy.

killercross

AWD with all season tires....Been in lost of snow, slush and even ice and it's performed very well.

josh1978
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Black on Black

The rogue handles awesome in the snow. We've had over a foot of snow already and plenty of crappy days driving to work and not once did i question the ability of the rogue. Very confident.

nrdgrl
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Hello,

Just joined this forum...Have had my new Rogue AWD for 2 weeks and got to drive it in the snow this week for the 1st time. I traded in a 2005 Ford Focus (I called it my "skateboard!) for the Rogue. I have a 50 mile (one way) commute in Colorado weather. This week was the most secure I have ever felt driving on snow/ice!! While all the cars were slipping around me on I-25, my Rogue just cruised right past them with no issues. I am *so* happy with my purchase!

If you are looking for a vehicle that performs well in deep snow (about 10 inches) and maintains good traction on icy roads - the Rogue is for you!!

Wannabe08
Car: 2010 SL AWD Wicked Black

I picked up my new SL AWD on New Years Eve and had a chance to check it out on the way home and some more yesterday. So far...it's great!

We've got about a foot of snow on the ground and live on a mountain up in the woods. There are a couple of steep grades and it does great.

I really like the paddle features. They make it really convenient for gearing down when headed down the mountain. As I said it's steep enough and there are so many deer, elk, big horn sheep, etc. at any time of day or night that only a fool would go over 20mph.

I think I bought a winner.

EZ300
Car: '08 Rogue S AWD

We recently came from a trip to Whistler BC this Dec. 27-30, we didn't drive our Rogue, i saw a total of 5 Rogues up there, in the snow, and i mean deep snow, i had a chance to look at their tires and a couple had Continentals on them, same one i had. and they seemed to be doing well.

Emma

I am thinking of buying a Rogue .. need a car really good in the snow and will not be able to afford a new car AND new snow tires all at once so really need something dependable.

jckc
Car: 2004 Altima S, 2008 Rogue SL AWD

Came home from work, got hit by another snow storm, second time in a week. no complaint here with my SL AWD. The car seemed to be under control all the time. I felt comfortable change lanes in the highway, the stock tires cutting through snow and slush with no scary moment. Total accumulation is expected to be over 10 inches. I will see if it works the same going to work tomorrow. I like my AWD.

Return to “Rogue Forum”