Rogue need SECOND replacement transmission-What will Nissan do?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
igram124
Car: Nissan Rogue

My 2008 AWD Rogue began to make the dreaded transmission rattle at about 3,500 miles and was replaced by Nissan at about 8,000 miles. Another 3,500 miles and the rattle starts again-dealer is once again replacing transmission. Car currently has 13,000 miles on it.

I have "opened" a case with Nissan USA. I asked for them to buy my car back and they implied that won't happen. Has anyone had a second replacement transmission installed? What can I expect from Nissan? Is there a standard remedy for this?

Who else should I let know about this problem? National Highway Traffic Safety Board? State Attorney General? Thanks in advance.

Couz
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

Check the long CVT thread on the first page....I think Kertton has had his changed.

And a couple of others....they got updated trannys which seemed to help.

philipa_240sx

Couz wrote:Check the long CVT thread on the first page....I think Kertton has had his changed.

And a couple of others....they got updated trannys which seemed to help.
Some dealers have claimed that the new tranny's have been 'updated'. However it's impossible to tell if this is the case. I have not been able to get any official response from Nissan that actual tranny design has been changed.

As for pursuing it with state agencies, several reports have already been filed with the DOT/NHTSA but since it's not considered a safety defect (to my knowledge, no one has experienced an out right failure that could cause an accident), they haven't done much.

Your only recourse would be government 'lemon laws'. Do some research as I am not familiar with them.

Couz
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

Thanks for responding to my post yesterday Philipa.

Much appreciated, My car is not even a month old and I get freaked out easily when I hear things that are unusual.

I'm glad to get atleast another poster that can tell me what I hear or feel is nothing to worry about.

Ever since I came on here my ears are wide open for the littlest noise now...I'm not sure if that's good.

But Atleast I can get some answers.

Thanks

paulvanharte
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

I had my CVT replaced in December 2008, after around 3000km started rattling again. This one was replaced just a month ago. I have put on almost 2000km since and do hear a very slight ticking noise again, but not severe enough to take it in. I will just drive it and hope for the best. Its a bit frustrating because now I am actullay listening for the noise, rather than just enjoying the car.

Paul

kcfm
Car: former rogue owner

igram124 wrote:My 2008 AWD Rogue began to make the dreaded transmission rattle at about 3,500 miles and was replaced by Nissan at about 8,000 miles. Another 3,500 miles and the rattle starts again-dealer is once again replacing transmission. Car currently has 13,000 miles on it.

I have "opened" a case with Nissan USA. I asked for them to buy my car back and they implied that won't happen. Has anyone had a second replacement transmission installed? What can I expect from Nissan? Is there a standard remedy for this?

Who else should I let know about this problem? National Highway Traffic Safety Board? State Attorney General? Thanks in advance.
I believe it is PaulVanharte and F=MA that are on their 3rd tranny. I am in the same boat as well. I took my rogue in this past tuesday due to tranny number two grinding. They confirmed the grind and now I am waiting to hear back from the service manager on a response from Nissan on whether they're going to approve tranny number 3 or not. If they want me to play the waiting game again, I will be filing a lemon-law complaint. If they approve a new tranny and it fixes the problem, great i will be loving my rogue again! If they approve a new tranny and it's another sh*t tranny I will be filing a lemon law complaint. I have thought about trading mine off but Im just was unwilling to lose that much money doing it. So I am riding this out...Nissan is going to fix my car permanently, buy it back, or give me a new one but I am not going to be out thousands of dollars because Nissan cant figure out a transmission problem after a year and a half of knowing about it.

As far as what you can expect from Nissan, pretty much nothing! Their customer service isn't just bad, it's non-existent. I spent 3-4 weeks trying to get through to my case manager at Nissan consumer affairs on my first bad tranny and to this day I still have not spoke with her. Regardless of how this whole thing plays out for me, I can say without a doubt this will be my one and only Nissan.

paulvanharte
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

I will keep my fingers crossed for you. I have owned Nissan's in the past and never had any issues with them.We really love our Rogue, but when the second CVT started acting up, we looked at other vehicles( Murano, Altima, Outlander, Toyota Venza). They all have their pros and cons, but we would have lost toomuch money trading in after only one year. We may decide to just keep it at least for another year and if the CVT still acts up than trade it in. The first year depreciation is a killer, second year somewhat less, so we may be able to trade it in at that time. Only time will tell.Not someting I bargained for when we bought the Rogue Paul

igram124
Car: Nissan Rogue

This is my first Nissan as well and I think having one transmission replaced when the car is still in its infancy is major-two replacements is extreme and three would really push me over the edge-quite possibly with my car in tow!

The two issues for me are 1) resale-I mean would would you buy a car with 13,000 miles and 3 transmissions and 2) safety/reliability-what does this mean for the car down the road. I feel I have paid a financial price for the car that way way way exceeds normal depreciation.

The dealer tried to tell me my car has a new and improved transmission so it should be more valuable than a car with the original equipment but I am not buying it, especially because the last transmission was suppose to be improved as well. Off to check the Lemon Laws and hit my head against a wall......

kcfm
Car: former rogue owner

igram124 wrote:The dealer tried to tell me my car has a new and improved transmission so it should be more valuable than a car with the original equipment but I am not buying it, especially because the last transmission was suppose to be improved as well.
Yes, don't buy into that new and improved tranny lecture. If there really was an upgraded tranny don't you think they would be putting them in all of our cars rather than spending $4,000-$5,000 a pop for these pieces of crap they're putting in them and having to do it two, three, four times?!

I'll give my dealer credit for being straightforward. At least they have never told me there was an upgraded tranny. When they replaced the last one there was no guarantees the rattle wouldn't return....which obviously it did.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

kcfm wrote:I'll give my dealer credit for being straightforward. At least they have never told me there was an upgraded tranny. When they replaced the last one there was no guarantees the rattle wouldn't return....which obviously it did.
I see your point, if honesty is the issue then definatley that is a good thing. But I think them stating that they don't know what the solution is to such a fundamental problem, offering to change the CVT but not guaranteeing that it will solve the problem is completely unacceptable. Find a soluton to the problem before moving foward. How can they say "I don't know what the problem is, or what the solution is, but we'll replace the whole thing and maybe it'll work, maybe it won't"? Nothing in life is 100%, but they should be reasonably confident in their solution and before moving forward with it. They should do the research, contact Nissan engineers if they're unsure and then take responsibility for the work. Saying that the noise could return makes no sense to me, and is their way of avoiding responsiblity, and does nothing to solve the problem.

Is the problem a bad CVT or not? If yes, then a replacement should solve the problem 99% confident, shouldn't it? If replacing the CVT doesn't solve the problem and the rattle returns after 3500 miles, then logic dictates that the CVT wasn't the source of the problem, it just displayed the symptoms or was damaged as a result of the mysterious cause. So if it's not a bad CVT part, then what is causing the damage, is it a computer problem, or something else mysterious? The fact is there are hundreds of thousands of these exact model CVT's in Rogues/Qhashi/Dualis, Altima's, Sentra's, Ford Escape Hybrids, Jeep Patriot/Compass, Mitsubishi Outlanders and I see no evidence of mass failures, not even close, probably much less than 1%.

So the argument that the Rogue CVT is "crap" is not valid at all. There is obviously some other unique problem in the few Rogue's experiencing these issues, rather than simply a defective CVT. My service department was very confident in the solution, as they contacted Nissan Canada and were told that a slight redesign of the CVT had eliminated any chance of problems, and so the replacement CVT was the answer. The logic made sense, and 5000 km later I'm driving trouble free still. We'll how things go over time, and of course there is no way to know if someone is being untruthful, but I respect that the service manager is a professional and when stating his opinion/guarantee that a solution is appropriate, I assume that he is putting his professional reputation on the line and as a result I have no reason to doubt it.

philipa_240sx

Kerrton,

Much as I hate to admit it, I may have to take my Rogue in as well. If just to have my 'slight tranny rattle' documented for future warranty claims.

Occasional noise aside, my Rogue has been performing very well! I don't want them to start replacing tranny's for no good reason.

sckeith
Car: 2017 Versa Note SL, Red

We had our CVT replaced at 20,000km and now we are at 27,000 and all is well so far

daytrippr
Car: 2008 Blue AWD SL model Rogue

kerrton wrote:
.. There is obviously some other unique problem in the few Rogue's experiencing these issues, rather than simply a defective CVT. ...
It seems to me that the obvious source of the 'rattle' is the belt. There must be some conditions where there is too much play in the belt. Much like the rattle of a bicycle chain.

The question is: is damage being caused by the belt looseness? The answer would have to be yes.

Although, if this was the case, then why hasn't Nissan figured it out yet?

philipa_240sx

daytrippr wrote:
It seems to me that the obvious source of the 'rattle' is the belt. There must be some conditions where there is too much play in the belt. Much like the rattle of a bicycle chain.
The Rogue's CVT computer is capable of detecting a slipping belt condition by monitoring the selected gear ration and the pulley rpms. If the rpm's are not what the computer expects, it will trigger an diagnostic code.

A minor slipping belt situation is plausible, but from what I understand any considerable amount of slip can seriously damage the belt and pulleys and the CVT is toast.

sfl
Car: Silver S FWD

I'm definitely no expert, but is it possible that some of these cvt's aren't being properly broken in? I really don't know how much of an effect that would have, just a thought.

Return to “Rogue Forum”