CHATROOM: Nissan Rogue + Snow

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
rogue612
Car: 2012 nissan rogue

I live in nj so we occasionally get snow a lot of black Ice how is the rogue in these conditions?

EDIT: IF YOU HAVE AN EXPERIENCE (either positive or negative) WITH YOUR ROGUE IN THE SNOW, PLEASE SHARE IT HERE! - ImStricken

philipa_240sx

The Rogue is equipped with both ABS, traction and stability control systems. Nissan does a very good job calibrating these systems so that they make driving easier but are not so intrusive (unlike Toyota systems). I find the Rogue does fairly well, but you must drive according to the conditions.

The real determining factor in slippery conditions is the tires, not the vehicle. The stock tires do well in the dry and wet but are no match for snow tires when the white stuff starts to fly. I have snow/winter tires on my Rogue and even though it's FWD, I find it very capable in the snow.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

To echo what Philip has said, the Rogue or any vehicle will do well if you have good tires for your road conditions.

That being said, I find the Rogue has amazing stability and traction, I've always been extremely pleased with these aspects of the vehicle.

rogue612
Car: 2012 nissan rogue

Thank you for your replys I have contentinal all seasons tires on mine which came stock with veh

Nick 568
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

To echo Kerrton and Phillipa..tires, tires, tires. They make the biggest difference. A good set of winter tires will allow you to zip past everyone in complete control. I had a set of studded tires on my Rogue (I live in Alaska, studs are basically required), and it was the best handling car I've ever driven on the snow/ice WITH those tires.
You'll just have to try out the stock Continentals and see if they work for you for your weather/roads. If you don't feel safe with the stock tires, invest in a good set of studless winter tires. Good tires will be the difference between hitting that person in front of you, or stopping in time.

daytrippr
Car: 2008 Blue AWD SL model Rogue

We live in the Seattle area and just suffered thru the worst winter storms in 2 decades (snow, sleet, freezing rain)

I have Hankook Optimo H727 all season tires on both our Rogue and my Subaru Forester and I found them to be competent handlers of both wet and snowy conditions. As with any all season tire, you hit a patch of ice and you will slip, but I find that if you drive reasonable speed, don't make any sudden lane changes and plan way ahead for stopping then, these tires worked very well in snow of 8+ inches.

The Rogue tires are 20K miles old and handle and look like new. We love them.

CTM Nismo
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 3.5-SV W/Nav

The 2010 I had was FWD. Got it in January, and the first winter was fine. Didnt get stuck anywhere, and could take steep hills without issue. By the next winter, the stock all seasons still had about 70-80% tread, but I couldnt make it up hills anymore. Same thing happened with my Altima. I now have General Altimax Arctics and cant recomend them enough. Been having some bad weather around here, and everyone is doing about 25 on main roads with a 45 limit, and the Altima can plow through with no loss of traction on ice or in deep snow at the normal speed limit.

highpwr
Car: 2012 Rogue

I just tried my wife's 2012 Rogue AWD on new snow with the stock Contis. No problem getting traction on hills but the front seems to let go soo easy when cornering :ohno: . I plan on getting some snow tires.

mag318
Car: Nissan Rogue

I replaced my OEM Continentals with the fantastic Hankook Optimos when my 2008 Rogue hit 55,000 miles. Just drove in heavy snow here in Illinois and the Hankooks handled the snow well. These tires are light years better than the factory installed Contis or Dunlops. At one point in deep snow I locked the all wheel drive and drove easily through deep snow.

300winmag
Car: 2011 Rogue SL AWD

IMHO The brand new stock tires are good for 1 winter only after that get winters. The wife and I both got X-ice 2 with winter rims and what an amazing difference.
FYI I tend to drive with the traction control off because it has almost caused 3 collisions so far this year.

NSROGUE
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD AirTech Blue

My Rogue has 8000 km on it and although here in NS we haven't had a real bad winter yer, we did have one heavy snowfall storm and one bad snow/ice pack conditions and with the continental all seasons, it was solid .I have an AWD,but i realize with almost any vehicle, if the all seasons are new, with a bit of caution, you will be fine.I will put snow tires on it next winter.

TaiLuu
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano LE AWD
2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum

Turn off Traction control and you will have fun.
But, ABS works somewhat great. Traction control kills the fun and keeps car from spinning out, You still spin your tires even with AWD. It's a pretty light car. I recommend new Tires, The OEM tires, I don't really trust.
OD Off works great. I use that a lot.
Rogue is high enough to go through at less 3Ft of snow maybe less.
Give distance between you and car in front of you. The ABS works but, Its over rated like any other ABS.
ABS isn't suppose to help slow you down but, Help you steer when you lock up.

9700Miles on the Clock.

CraigVMN
Car: 2011 Rogue SV AWD

In November, I got a set of Blizzak WS-70 winter tires. Minnesota is seeing one of the least snowy winters in a long time, but the times it has snowed, or there’s been ice, the vehicle with its AWD & traction control with these tires acquits itself very well. I’ve also read where having winter tires is also desirable when the temps fall below 45F.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

my town has 6+inches of snow currently. (yes right after that dreaded hurricane) we just got hit with it today. aside from neighboring towns having roads that are impassable and the police having to shut down whole stretches of roadways, towns under state of emergency due to large amounts of snow, and building collapsing from broken structural integrity from the hurricane and wires & trees falling = THE ROGUE HANDLED TODAY LIKE A DREAM. NO MATTER WHAT I THREW AT IT:
  • hitting the gas from a stop light
    slowing trying to accelerate from a hill
    quickly trying to accelerate from a hill
    stopping in high mounds of snow and then accelerating
    multiple combinations of vdc off, awd lock, etc - it handled AMAZING.
all in all, im super impressed. this car earns my WIFE & KIDS SAFETY AWARD. (my parents 2008 lexus rx350 awd didnt do well they said. dad said it handled like a rear wheel drive pick-up truck - all over the darn place.) their car has Michelin all season. my car has all season crap that i made them threw into the deal. i will report on them tomorrow(if i remember) but bottom line they are nothing special. THIS CAR GAINED MY COMPLETE TRUST IN THE SNOW. and it certainly gained my trust in sandy/mud from the hurricane that i went off-roading as the hurricane was making landfall.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Hurricane, earthquake, and now snow. Are we trying to one-up the ten plagues? :rolleyes:

Question, when you were 4 wheelin' on the beach sand, did you have to reduce tire pressure?

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Rogue One wrote:Hurricane, earthquake, and now snow. Are we trying to one-up the ten plagues? :rolleyes:

Question, when you were 4 wheelin' on the beach sand, did you have to reduce tire pressure?
nope i left it as is at 32 i believe i have it set at.

Black B15

I have to say, I think the biggest problem with driving in snow typically lies with the driver. Understanding your vehicle, how it sounds, how it handles, etc...will go a long way. As ImSticken said in another post, he knows how his vehicles sounds, drives, etc...during normal driving. When there is a sudden pull in the steering wheel or unknown sound he knows there is an issue immediately. I am the EXACT same way. Learning how your vehicle handles in various conditions can make a huge difference. Adding snow tires can help even that much more.

I haven't experienced the Rogue in the snow, but like any other vehicle....know the limits of the vehicle and conditions as well as the drivers limits and you should be fine. That is just my two cents worth, having driven in midwest winters for 15+ years. Of course now I am in Phoenix so I don't have to worry about such things! lol.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Black B15 wrote:I have to say, I think the biggest problem with driving in snow typically lies with the driver. Understanding your vehicle, how it sounds, how it handles,
agreed 100%
i ONLY drive with the VDC systems off in the snow. i know how to drift and would rather control my drift via the throttle & brake than have no power to the wheels at all due to the VDC system stepping in cutting engine power. very often counter steering and flooring the gas pedal will get you out of a situation quickly, versus VDC cutting power and you just sliding whereever inertia decides.

for example, my 2002 maxima in the snow was alright, thats if you feathered the throttle.(with vdc off - otherwise it would choke power off at every redlight because of wheel spin)
NOW the rogue, no matter how hard i hit the throttle - the thing just drove off quickly without wheel spin lol. this car is SUPER safe and reliable(and this was with VDC off!)

kilogram
Car: 2010 Rogue Krom
2004 350Z performance

When I was test driving Rogues, the dealer let me take the car home for the night. This was back in February in Minnesota, and it actually snowed that night so I got a chance to drive it in the snow. It was pretty decent even on balding OEM tires (which I replaced this past weekend with a set of Yokohama YK580s), but I agree with keeping the VDC off. I don't drive our 350Z with the VDC on in the snow either. The traction control is so aggressive it will kill the engine to prevent wheelspin.

Now we live in Colorado, so I went with normal all-season tires rather than dedicated snows like I had on the Audi that the Rogue replaced since any snow we get here only stays for a day or so. The Audi- as much as I hated that car- was phenomenal in the snow. I had Hankook iPikes on it and it was un-f*cking-stoppable, even in 18" of snow. From my initial snow romp in the Rogue, I have a feeling it will be almost as good.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gxEvtrMnMg[/youtube]
THE SNOW IS PAST THE FRONT BUMPER!!! :fap:

JMed
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S AWD (Pearl White)
2015 Nissan Rogue SV (Black)

For the big storm on December 29th, I went to Rhode Island with my girl on her 2012 Rogue... The next day the Rogue tires were like 60% buried in the snow, and I drove over the snow like nothing was there. I didn't even need to use the AWD Lock :mike

Just a note, the snow wasn't frozen at all yet so I have no clue how easy it would be under those circumstances :confused:

Edited: I just saw this video...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pagEBcWsOW8[/youtube]

Qashqai

JMed wrote:I just saw this video...
With all season wires, that is normal...

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

JMed wrote:For the big storm on December 29th, I went to Rhode Island with my girl on her 2012 Rogue... The next day the Rogue tires were like 60% buried in the snow, and I drove over the snow like nothing was there. I didn't even need to use the AWD Lock :mike

Just a note, the snow wasn't frozen at all yet so I have no clue how easy it would be under those circumstances :confused:

Edited: I just saw this video...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pagEBcWsOW8[/youtube]
if someone didnt clean the driveway, and drove on it - when the snow as just starting to come down, and created black-ice under the snow = a Ford F350 4x4 wouldn't be able to make it up a steep driveway like that. im sucked that rogue made it up that far.

(found afterwards)
not a ford, but case in point lol
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aCwNrFZ1vs[/youtube]

rickrogue
Car: 2011 nissan rouge

i live in winnipeg canada, we have most brutal winter with -40+ celsius temp and tonnes of snow. I never have a problem driving with my rogue w/ all season tires, nissan did great on their AWD system, ABS and VDC but the most important thing to me is the Transmission/CVT with O/D and the low end is awesome, I could slow down with in seconds without hitting my brakes to properly stop without skidding.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

rickrogue wrote:i live in winnipeg canada, we have most brutal winter with -40+ celsius temp and tonnes of snow. I never have a problem driving with my rogue w/ all season tires, nissan did great on their AWD system, ABS and VDC but the most important thing to me is the Transmission/CVT with O/D and the low end is awesome, I could slow down with in seconds without hitting my brakes to properly stop without skidding.
very cool post. thank you for that. i feel the same way. My rogue does great in NJ, USA winter/snow. glad to see it doing great in 10x's worse weather than i get here in NJ :)

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

(repost from STORM NEMO)

just found a parking lot that had roughly 9inches of snow. the little kid in me couldnt help it.... i drove in LOL MS.ImStricken distracted me with some "curb!!" shriek and i slowed down. the rogue was stuck. i switched the VDC off, and actuated the AWD LOCK function. gently tested the throttle... no go. it just spun its tires. So i gave it some gas(about 75% throttle to the floor) and tires started spinning and digging- and guess what..... THE ROGUE GOT OUT, WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS!!!

as i exited the parking lot i looked back and saw the whole underside of the car slid across the snow. the snow was taller than the ground clearance of the car, and yet the rogue still got out. WOW were me and the Ms impressed total lapsed time: 30seconds.

after leaving i wished asked Ms. ImStricken to film it, but it was to late :)

(PS:there was no curb, she just shrieked "CURB" as an advice, in advance. no sexy-time for her today lololol/jk)

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

ImStricken wrote:(repost from STORM NEMO)

just found a parking lot that had roughly 9inches of snow. the little kid in me couldnt help it.... i drove in LOL MS.ImStricken distracted me with some "curb!!" shriek and i slowed down. the rogue was stuck. i switched the VDC off, and actuated the AWD LOCK function. gently tested the throttle... no go. it just spun its tires. So i gave it some gas(about 75% throttle to the floor) and tires started spinning and digging- and guess what..... THE ROGUE GOT OUT, WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS!!!

as i exited the parking lot i looked back and saw the whole underside of the car slid across the snow. the snow was taller than the ground clearance of the car, and yet the rogue still got out. WOW were me and the Ms impressed total lapsed time: 30seconds.

after leaving i wished asked Ms. ImStricken to film it, but it was to late :)

(PS:there was no curb, she just shrieked "CURB" as an advice, in advance. no sexy-time for her today lololol/jk)
Wait a minute! You did a write up on your dash cam with a (boring ;) ) video, and when the time comes for some great footage, the camera was MIA??? :gotme

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Rogue One wrote:Wait a minute! You did a write up on your dash cam with a (boring ;) ) video, and when the time comes for some great footage, the camera was MIA??? :gotme
lol wouldn't have been much of a video anyway. the shot needed to be filmed from the side/exterior.

JMed
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S AWD (Pearl White)
2015 Nissan Rogue SV (Black)

More snow ! ! ! Oh God

My Rogue was a no go with over 10 inches of snow. It moved but then it did a 45 degree angle, I guess it did not help that the driveway is a little steep... After I shovel a path to get out, I had no problems whatsoever no the roads.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

JMed wrote:More snow ! ! ! Oh God

My Rogue was a no go with over 10 inches of snow. It moved but then it did a 45 degree angle, I guess it did not help that the driveway is a little steep... After I shovel a path to get out, I had no problems whatsoever no the roads.
question: did you tamper with any of the VDC/ESP or AWD LOCK buttons?

i ended up getting stuck in at least 10inch of snow (i know this because the bottom of the car cleaned itself off on the snow that i then drove off of) and the car wouldn't move. it just spun. so i turned OFF the VDC/ESP and turned ON the AWD LOCK - and after about 3 seconds of tires spinning and building up heat, the car simply pulled itself out of the deep snow i was stuck in.
PS: i dropped my tire psi about 8psi lower than 'normal'.

Return to “Rogue Forum”