Rogue Buying Experiences: Poll and Comments

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
philipa_240sx

I want to get a bit of feedback regarding your experience when you purchased your Rogue. This is not affiliated with Nissan, any dealer, data collection agency, etc. It's just a simple poll and you can add some of your comments. You do not need to post the dealer's name or any salesperson(s) names.

Please include the following:

- Model (S, SL, SL AWD), and any options (Premium, Leather, Technology Pack, extended warranty, etc)- Month And Year purchased- State/Province and Country of purchase- Your comments... good or bad.

philipa_240sx

Rogue SL, dealer installed tint on front windowsPurchased on February 2008Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

The buying experince was pretty good. The salesperson did not pressure me and I was quite happy with the level of service. Once the basic deal agreed upon, I was presented with a never ending list of dealer options, warranties, etc. After declining most of them, I finally signed the paperwork.

On the delivery date, there were a few delays getting paperwork done and the dealer had forgotten to get my registration turned over at the local Minstry of Transportation. After another hour, I was finally able to get the proper ownership papers and of course the keys to my Rogue. The minor stuff was soon forgotten. The dealer did a great job prepping and cleaning the vehicle and I was very impressed.

Subsequent visits for service, parts, accessories has been very good. Overall I am pretty happy with the Rogue and the dealership.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

The poll will not allow me to answer, it keeps saying "you may only vote once", and this is the case for some of the other polls too, although I have never answered.

I purchased a FWD Rogue SL base in Lethbridge, Alberta and was extremely satisfied and pleased with my dealership, including the entire negotiation and final purchase.

cdmuile
Car: Nissan Rogue, Scion tC RS4.0

We bought the Rogue SL Premium package, leather in Dec or early Jan. We bought it new from the dealer here in Des Moines, Ia. USA. A very pleasant buying experience. No problems whatsoever. Nice preparation and good price.

shawnd

SL AWD Premium, Moonroof, Leather, Mud Flaps, Floor matsApril of 2008Bristol CT, USA

Started with an internet query, the whole process was relaxed and easy. They made an offer, I told them what I wanted, they agreed. The usual sales crap on delivery but they were very nice about it and accepted no as no without much effort. Got a good briefing on the vehicle from my sales rep. Two minor issues that were resolved within a week.Overall a very pleasant experience.

sarahwcu
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

let's just say we haggled for over 7 hours for the Rogue. It was exhusting. I would have loved to have gotten a sunroof, but we were trying to meet a price goal. We did get the Rogue for below invoice, so I was pretty pleased.

SL AWD Wicked BlackChicago ILBought on Memorial Day

RubenTheRogue
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD

SL AWD, premium pkg, mud flaps, moonroof

Poughkeepsie Nissan, Poughkeepsie, NY

Buying experience was what I expected. 1st visit: no pressure, very informative, good test drive (drove Rogue & Xterra), left with a good feeling.

Contacted via phone another dealership to haggle USAA buying service price down to $300 over invoice.

Called POK Nissan back to get their price...MSRP...I said O RLY?! Quoted the price from other dealership...salesman needed to talk to his manager.....called back and beat the other's price by $100...not much but now only $200 over invoice. Left $500 deposit over the phone to get the car from the other dealership.

2nd visit: Paperwork meeting, Sat at salesman's desk and Rogue was parked outside his window (after he said it would take 3 days to get). Typical leverage tactic. Agreed on price stated over phone, started trade-in negotiation. I wanted $3500 for trade, settled on $3300. Gave back the $100 and then some, my only mistake. Started finance pprwrk. Easy process. Took care on ins, tags etc...Finance guy call 1 hour later to sya we were approved and thensome...confirm our rate, monthly pymnt etc...all the numbers matched what I had previously worked out.

3rd visit: Next day, signed all final documents. Finalized DMV stuff, payed downpayment on my CC (hey I get points) and personal check ...1/2 & 1/2. Took delivery and handed over trade-in keys.

Problem: Dirt \grease from lot monkey's boot left on driver's side footrest and carpet above it. Did not give roof rack rails as I asked (read later).

Perks: Rec'd premium floor mats pkg (didn't ask for it) Rec'd mud flaps (didn't ask for them)

Called salesman about grease, got a coupon for free full detail on my first oil change in the mail..ok, I'll forgive them...as I have read here, I can do wihout the roof rails, I'll take the mats & flaps as concession.

Overall, pretty easy, some typical tactics employed, but I educatedmyself pretty well going in, had my budget in check and was willing to walk if it smelled funny. Ended up getting a $29k car for less than $25k, put less cash down than anticipated and only exceeded my monthly payment limit by $2. I'll survive

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

It was not the best one, but it is partially my fault.

We initially had a really really good contact with Wilson from Cite Nissan in Montreal (I mention him because he is a really nice and serviable guy).

When it came to buy the car, it has to be done urgently as the buyer of my car wanted as fast as possible (and I put a lot of kms daily on it).Here is my mistake: Unfortunately, Wilson was off this day and nobody wanted to take his client (normal), so I went to another Nissan dealer.

At first, everybody say they were busy doing something (even if I was telling that I was just wanting the car, not their crap talk), until one decided to give me a chance. Fortunately for him, I was already sold to the car, otherwise, I would have walked away and buy something else.

I already knew the car from the previous dealer, I have just few complementary questions: He was not able to help me with that (clearly I did not know the car, at least no more than me) and start trying to sell me the AWD model and his crap (extended warranty, etc...) instead.

Finally, we signed the papers and succeed to get my usual extra stuff (free rims for the winter tires).When I came to pick up the car, the only thing he was talking about was how hard it was to get the car I wanted (an AWD would have been so easy...) and was just worried about his feedback form (Good is not enough, you know, excellent is the standard), not my last questions.If he wants me to put excellent, maybe he should start giving the same level job: excellent.For sure, I will fill the feedback form and send it back to Nissan, but I am not sure there will be a lot of "excellent" checked in it.

The problem is that the selling service was so bad that I don't want to deal with their service department, even if it was one of the best.I will probably go back to Cite Nissan for the heavy services and do the standard ones by myself (even if I am a two left hands kind of guy )

I should have wait another day and stay with Wilson from Cite Nissan, my fault .

philipa_240sx

Pescakl1,

That was a good explanation in english. Too bad my french isn't as good!

I am sure you will enjoy your Rogue!

Pescakl1

philipa_240sx wrote:Pescakl1,

That was a good explanation in english. Too bad my french isn't as good!

I am sure you will enjoy your Rogue!
Strange. With Philippe as firstname (guess ), I thought you were a french speaking canadian. Funny how our mind can work against us.

As you may know, even if I am an "imported" quebecor, in most workplaces in Quebec, you work in english (at least we write in english for your customers).Therefore it is easier this way around (french not that bad in english instead of english not that bad in french).

Fortunately for me, in an internet forum, you are writing and not speaking (not that good in the pronunciation department ).

For the Rogue, I was circumspect at first (my wife chooses my car for me ), but now I am LOVING it!!

jka333
Car: Nissan Rogue SL

Long and Short: Excellent Experience. Got the SL with flaps, plastic strip on door panel where the scratches occur, 3 years free oil change, 3 years tire hazard and extended warranty to 75k. paid 21,300 including nissan 500 rebate.

Pescakl1

Wow, that is impressive.

I want to move to your place, live close to that dealer.

DavidNJCPA
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD

2008 Rogue SL AWD with Splash Guards

I bought this at Lynnes Nissan West in Stanhope NJ.

Firstly, let me say this is the best car that I have ever bought. It is so comfortable to drive, and AWD is better than my prior 4WD vehicle. CVT is something you dont really notice while driving, but it is nice not to have the shifting feel.

The purchase process was pretty bad. It took a whole day Saturday to accomplish. We were waiting around for hours for the finance person, had 2 young kids with me running amok.

I bought it with the Costco program, invoice price + $300 but there was a rebate from Nissan for $500. Unfortunately, I had to lease, and that is where everything started getting hazy. I rejected the first number then they came back magically with a much lower monthly payment, same down payment, I guess they raised the residual. It all gets kind of hazy. I think I could have done better but I think I am paying a fair amount, and in the end that is all I am after since I am not a good haggler.

I think I got a fair trade for my trade in, and am generally happy with the car.

Purchase was just too tiring unnecessarily.

My2cents

David

philipa_240sx

Pescakl1 wrote:Strange. With Philippe as firstname (guess ), I thought you were a french speaking canadian. Funny how our mind can work against us.
The 'a' in philipa is my last initial. My first name is just Philip. I have used this nickname on many forums. Never bothered to change it even though I don't own a 240SX anymore. BTW, my ancestry is northern Italian. Not that far from France...

cdmuile
Car: Nissan Rogue, Scion tC RS4.0

Hmmmm.....And I though you were a young lady from Greece. Goes to show!

roguetoad
Car: 08 SL AWD

My sales people were OK, but the process was a hugely long wait (5+ hours!). This didn't seem to be the dealer's fault, but rather the Nissan Call Center. It seems they use an antiquated queue system in which every time a query is answered (you're returned from a TO) to the source person, you re-enter the top queue in a FCFS.

For example, if you're talking with a person and he/she switches you to someone else you get put in at the end of the line, just as if you were calling in the first time.

This was a major PITA and, I threatened to walk out on the deal, even to a couple of Nissan phone people, but it made no difference.

There was, however, and upside: I did get to paw, drool, and pant over a new GT40 the dealer has. And they let me borrow a car to run errands.

But Nissan does have to modernize their queue software, OMO

alvam
Car: 2008 Rouge SL AWD with Premium Package

So far very, very good. I finalize deal tomorrow (6-17) and am getting a Black Rogue SL with grey cloth interior, premium package, splash guards, kickplates, rear bumber gaurd and floor mats. All this for 25k OTD (including tax etc.) Based on Consumer Reports calculations that is essentially $260.00 over what dealer paid. I am happy with that.

alvam

PS.. I have never owned a Nissan or Datsun or derivitive thereof.

alvam

Just purchased it and will take delivery tomorrow. Yippee...

I kind of changed up the purchase by getting the following:Black SL AWDGray InteriorPremium PackageMoonroof PackageWind DeflectorSpash GuardsFloor Mats

Invoice with all options = $23,859Add tax = $25648,43Out the door = $26,000Dealer margin = $351.57

Feel good about the deal.

thepettes

I purchased my Venom Red Rogue on June 9, 2008. It's a SL AWD premium package, leather and moonroof. My buying experience was awesome. I had been gathering quotes for a couple of weeks while I was trying to sell my Explorer privately. As soon as I sold it, I went to the dealer with the best price. Paper work was painless. I drove home two hours later in my beautiful car. I went back to the dealer three days later to have pin striping and bumper protector added. Service department was incredible. I strongly recommend this dealer to others--Auto Centers Nissan in Wood River, IL.

Direwolf
Car: Nissan Rogue

We purchased a Gotham Gray Rogue S model. We are trying to buy a house and go on a long planned vacation in August, but we also desperately needed a new car. So the basic model it is.

The first dealer we went to in South Jersey was terrible. It was a young kid trying to help us who was no help at all. We were completely put off and started looking at other vehicles (Santa Fe, Tuscon, Rav-4, etc). But the Rogue always turned up somehow in my searches.

We ended up finding an extremely over the top, friendly/understanding dealer in Devon, PA. Thats where we picked up the car. I cant rave enough about the service there; great people!

Since I personally wont have money to play around with until after vacation, the plans are:

-chrome grill-full window tint-fog lights-Privacy cover

So bit by bit it will get transformed. Too bad I cant get the racks on the roof too but no major loss/need.

Roguemeister

2008 SL AWD with leather package and technology packagePurchased in Edmonton, Alberta

My buying experience was very good. Salesman was very friendly and helpful. Took out a SL AWD model (the one I wanted) for a long test drive. I had a trade and this dealership gave me the best deal for my trade-in. I also dealt with Honda on a CRV and VW on a Tiguan. Besides giving me the most money on my trade, I liked the Rogue better than the Honda and VW. I got 3M as part of the deal and was pleasantly surprised at the job they did when I picked up my Rogue last Tuesday. The 3M on the hood was probably about 14" long and also covered the whole bumper and mirrors. I also got the Rogue floor mats and locking wheel nuts.

I am very happy with the purchase and my Rogue so far.

nananina
Car: Rogue SL AWD, leather package, moonroof

Venom Red SL AWD Leather package moonroof

Ferman Dealership, New Port Richey, FL

Looked at a SL FWD in November 07 told the salesperson that I wanted a AWD with leather and moonroof. He quoted me the sticker price and wouldn't budge off the list price so I left. In March of 08 I went online for an internet price and was contacted by two dealers, one being Ferman with an offer that I though was good. I contacted the salesperson to tell her it was a good price. Her price was $24,700, sticker price was over $28,000 When I picked up the car it came with splash guards, rear bumper protector, floor mats, and roof cross bars which I wasn't charged for. Since then I installed a moonroof deflector for $64

BillLewis
Car: Nissan Rogue

Finally got my AWD SL with moonroof in White. Love it!!! Getting my extars on line and installing them myself.

Worst car buying expierience I've ever had. Contacted all the dealers in my area and did lots of research..Short version: IMO Salesmen don't know their products very well and will say anything to make a sale. Do your research and know what you want. Forums like these are excellent.Don't go by a low ball email Internet price. Once you get to the showroom the add ons start. IE: $400 for tape pinstrips and wheelwell moulding I can get anywhere for $25. I don't think so. Same with $700 Nisson "Imperial Package" on sale today only for $499. Check all your paperwork carefully before you give a deposit and leave, no matter how tired and worn out you are. They want you to make a quick decision and overlook the unexplained extra $800 they built into the contract as I almost did. Most important be ready to say No and Walk Away no matter how much you love the Rogue they have. Don't worry, Nissan's making more.

Bill in NJ

pedror
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD

SL Premium in Iridium GraphitePurchased in July 2008Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

We spent a lot of time researching the vehicle, and an initial visit to my local dealer was disappointing. They only really wanted to talk about leasing and did not want to offer much for my trade. I had already heard shady things about them and I left feeling like they were not being straight with me.

Last month, I visited the Waterloo dealer and they were great to deal with. Initially went in to check on stock and colours and three hours later had a deal. I used CarCostCanada service so I had wholesale price and all dealer incentives factored in. Had to sit through the business manager session where they offer all the add-ons like extended warranty, rust-proofing etc but I declined and they did not push.

Just picked it up this week and we were treated very well. I would recommend the dealership for sure.

Roli
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue, 2006 Murano

I started my experience with an Internet inquiry. I researched the Rogue. Since I already purchased a Murano from a dealer, I paid them the first visit. The Salesman bragged that he had his quota, and when asked what numbers we where talking about for the Rogue, he did the usual I be right back. and came back with Mid 2's for the S model and low 3's for the SL on a lease. He wasnt willing to really discuss the issue. So I asked a few questions took a test ride and left.

Once I left that dealer, I decided to call the dealer (Megadealer) that I had an appointment with for the next day and changed it to within the hour.

So I walked in with check book and title for the trade, and started to negotiate the deal. I settled on a Grey, SL with black interior with the premium package. We did have a problem with dealer fees and bank fees because I refuse to pay a dealer $375 to buy a car and I have great credit so paying a bank $950 for the lease is BS. After all said and done with the salesman we agreed on a price of $250 a month plus trade ($2000 plus taxes. No Fees no nothing else.

Well off to the finace department, where I waited hours, but before I saw the finace dept the salesman brought my car down to the lot. OOPS wrong interior color. it was grey interior not charcole as the computer said. She then did a search found another car, and redid the paperwork. Called the insurance company again and changed the insurance to the new VIN

Now a two hours later I finally sat with the finance guy, I brought no extras, he attempted to charge me the fees, which once again I refused, I did not want to pay above what was agreed on. So again he had to talk to his manager, and got approval. He made a comment that he was working for free since I would not pay the dealer fee ($375) O well.

So after 7 hours of entering the dealer I drove home with my New Rogue, all happy and feeling good.

Now the fun begins, three days later the sale person calls to ask if all my keys and remotes are working, and of course they are. She informed me she had an extra remote for me. So I went and picked it up, and low and behold it was to the first vehicle that had the grey interior. No problem I would have it just reprogrammed.

Now Saturday comes, 8 days after I purchased the car, I receive numerous phone calls from my salesperson, I figured it was about the key, She leaves me multible messages that I must call right away. Since she was good and friendly I figured what now.

She informs me to look at the VIN on the temp registration sticker vs the vehicle vin and see if they match. Well to my suprise they did not match. What seemed to happen was that the Finance department never changed the vehicle and sold me and registered me the first Rogue with the gray interior. and since they already registered the grey interior to me they wanted to work something out. Since now in the mind of DMV that vehicle is considered used if they resold it since it was registered. But another problem was the vehicle I was driving was un insured, un registered, Not good.

So here is the deal they made me. Three monthly payment- check for $750Remote startBumper protectorSun Roof SpoilerExtra remote and keyand rental car anytime I bring vehicle in for service.

So once again back to the dealer, and I swapped the vehicle, but had to wait another 2 hours for the remote start to be installed, even though the first car had one installed from a private shop and it took 20 minutes to do.

So my overall experience sucked, the dealer makes you wait for ever, the finace dept plays games, and then they still screwd the paperwork up. and I ended up with a Rogue with an interior that I really dont care for, which is too light of color. Well 36 months left to go on the lease. I will deal with it..

Sorry for the long post but figured some might find it interesting.

dmw98path
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Anyone able to get SL AWD Rogue with Premium package, Leather and no moonroof? Costco program here is Invoice + $500. With $500 current Nissan discount you get it at Invoice plus DMV fees (~$200 - seems steep). No taxes here in Oregon. I'm looking at $25k for all we want though it seems tough to get the black leather and black color without that moonroof. Maybe we should get 2009 version and special order???

-dan

jmbones

Wife wants a black Rogue, AWD prem pkg, moonroof pkg, splash guards and prem floormats. No more options, no less. Exact MSRP $26,150.

Thus begins our very poor experience with, so far, two dealers. Went to dealer 1 ready to buy on 7/20, they didn't have the exact model in stock. Said they can search, were blowing smoke up our *** about the "deal" they were giving us. The usual drivel of a salesman. I have the "D" plan, it's black and white, there is no "dealing" involved other then what they would offer for the trade. Which we were getting raped on anywho. They told us we can't use the "D" plan if they "locate" a vehicle, BS. Plus locating costs $300-500. Tried selling us a diff color on the lot. Told them we'd get back to them.

Went to dealer 2 on 7/22, had the trade appraised, $1000 better then dealer 1 (still not what KBB or NADA lists). Car not in stock, they will locate it for us and we can use "D" plan (which I already knew I can use it whether they locate it or not). But again they want us to buy one from the lot that had leather. Wife doesn't want leather, the xtra $$ for leather isn't the issue. She just doesn't want it.

Ok.. dealer will search. Found one in CT (I'm in PA), says they are having problems contacting the dealer, left him a message. Day goes by. How can you have problems, I'm sure they're open. So I went home and found about 8 of the EXACT model we want and emailed him VIN #'s and dealer names/locations. Two days pass, they find one on my list and said they'll get it. They drive it back to their place, rock chips window on their way back. (This was on Thursday 7/24). They have to order new window and install.

Monday 7/28 comes around, window will be in this afternoon, they need time to install it, let it seal and then detail Tuesday for delivery. I finally get the VIN of the vehicle and it has the black/RED seats, which my wife didn't want. When they said they located the car, they said the only things different were it had a pinstripe and paint sealer, totaling $298 extra. They didnt say anything about the black/red seats. So here we are today, and they are now searching again for the exact model with black/grey seats.

All this time, we can drive 1.5hrs to our south, get the exacta model, probably cheaper because it is in stock and a more metro area so I expect more for the trade. If they can't locate it today, we'll goto dealer 3 and see what kind of experience that gets us.

This whole ordeal is a crock. I've bought nearly $100k in vehicles (Dodge/Chevy/Saturn) for myself in the past 8 years. Almost every time the vehicle had to be located and I used some sort of "D" plan. Each time I had my vehicle in approx 2 days.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

jmbones wrote:Wife wants a black Rogue, AWD prem pkg, moonroof pkg, splash guards and prem floormats. No more options, no less. Exact MSRP $26,150.

Thus begins our very poor experience with, so far, two dealers. Went to dealer 1 ready to buy on 7/20, they didn't have the exact model in stock. Said they can search, were blowing smoke up our *** about the "deal" they were giving us. The usual drivel of a salesman. I have the "D" plan, it's black and white, there is no "dealing" involved other then what they would offer for the trade. Which we were getting raped on anywho. They told us we can't use the "D" plan if they "locate" a vehicle, BS. Plus locating costs $300-500. Tried selling us a diff color on the lot. Told them we'd get back to them.

Went to dealer 2 on 7/22, had the trade appraised, $1000 better then dealer 1 (still not what KBB or NADA lists). Car not in stock, they will locate it for us and we can use "D" plan (which I already knew I can use it whether they locate it or not). But again they want us to buy one from the lot that had leather. Wife doesn't want leather, the xtra $$ for leather isn't the issue. She just doesn't want it.

Ok.. dealer will search. Found one in CT (I'm in PA), says they are having problems contacting the dealer, left him a message. Day goes by. How can you have problems, I'm sure they're open. So I went home and found about 8 of the EXACT model we want and emailed him VIN #'s and dealer names/locations. Two days pass, they find one on my list and said they'll get it. They drive it back to their place, rock chips window on their way back. (This was on Thursday 7/24). They have to order new window and install.

Monday 7/28 comes around, window will be in this afternoon, they need time to install it, let it seal and then detail Tuesday for delivery. I finally get the VIN of the vehicle and it has the black/RED seats, which my wife didn't want. When they said they located the car, they said the only things different were it had a pinstripe and paint sealer, totaling $298 extra. They didnt say anything about the black/red seats. So here we are today, and they are now searching again for the exact model with black/grey seats.

All this time, we can drive 1.5hrs to our south, get the exacta model, probably cheaper because it is in stock and a more metro area so I expect more for the trade. If they can't locate it today, we'll goto dealer 3 and see what kind of experience that gets us.

This whole ordeal is a crock. I've bought nearly $100k in vehicles (Dodge/Chevy/Saturn) for myself in the past 8 years. Almost every time the vehicle had to be located and I used some sort of "D" plan. Each time I had my vehicle in approx 2 days.
You're right, you are getting hosed. I did the same as you - gave them the exact details of what I wanted including exterior and interior color, options, etc. AND I still got to negotiate a price well under MSRP by about $2500. The salesman said they dont' charge extra to bring a vehicle in. What they did was found one that was in Japan, and they ordered it and had it sent over by boat, and then by truck so it wasn't actually driven. That is crap when they locate a vehicle at another dealership then drive it over, which adds mileage to your new vehicle and they always manage to ding it up, like in your case - I think the guys who drive the vehicles over are just out for a joy ride and bag the hell out of your vehicle. Anyway, my experience in Lethbridge, Alberta was awesome, these guys didn't bull**** around, we had a deal negotiated in UNDER 20 minutes, and they had my new Rogue located in Japan in about 2 days, and another 10 days for shipping. Total mileage on it when I bought it was 20 km. Tell your dealership to shove it and go somewhere that knows how to treat you right.

jmbones

Well they found the one we want at the dealer that is 1.5hrs south of us. He says "I'm not sure why it did not show up when I tried to locate it... I did an inventory check at that dealer and then it showed up..."

So now we'll see how long it takes to get this one delivered.

Return to “Rogue Forum”