ROGUE BACKUP SENSORS INTALLATION/PICS

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
silverboy

Well, finally I got the chance to install a great set of backup sensors.I got the sensors from Flebay and I paid like $70 incluiding shipping.I have installed sensors in almost all our SUV's but this guys are by far the best ones. They don't pick false obstacles like the ground.The only thing I see is that it measures in meters but it just a matter of getting just to it.Also, the inside of the bumper have the marks for for the sensors, you'll see it in one of the pics.

I will post pics and if you have questions, just ask.I'll let the pics do the work.

OK, to removed the bumper, remove six screws(numbers 4 and 5 in the diagram. Five clips(three number 2's and two number 3's)

This is the first piece I removed. Four clips and they are set up in a vertical position-move them to a horizontal position and just pull up that piece.Once you removed this part you'll see how easy the install can be.

On this pic below, look above the splash guard, there is a plastic cover and you need to remove it in order to get to screws #5. You do not need to removed the splash guards. Look at the picture, that is the area where I started to remove the bumper and made my way up, meaning, just pull the bumper with your bare hands and the rest will come out easier.

On this pic below, look at the big black wire, just follow it to the front and use it as a guide to run the wire from the main module to the front(LCD screen).I installed the module in the packet at the left side(red circle). In that side, there is a plastic black plug to run your wires to the outside.OK, do you see the black and red wires, there is where I got the power for the sensors. Look for the green/grey dots wire, that is the one that gets the power when you place the gears into reverse. Black wire will be your ground. Also, this particular sensors requiered a third connection, I had to get a third wire for the ACC conection(most backup sensors don't required this), I found the light Blue/grey dots wire.The three lines with red dots are the area where you have to removed three screws that hold the panel that contain your lift jack.

This mark is where you drill your holes, you'll found four alonside.When drilling the holes, put attention because you can scratch the outside of the bumper when the drill bit goes thru it.

This white piece attached to the bumper is foam material. You'll need to make room for the two inner sensors. Make the cut on those red marks.

The small red circle is the LCD monitor. You need to removed the panel(big red circle). Just pull it with your fingers. Keep in mind this area is plastic, if you use a screw driver, you may scratch it.

Blankets, blankets, blankets. Use the blankets to protect your bumper.

Black covers, removed it in order to get to screws #4 from the diagram(two screws) Checkout the allweather corgo mat, is from my old 07' Honda CRV

Checkout the area where I installed the Magellan GPS. When I remove the GPS, only the small clip stays and it doesn't block the vent. I installed the clip that retains the GPS using black calking, yes and it holds very well. I didn't want to drill holes in the dash because I don't like to place the GPS on the windows.

I like the look of the sensors and I also installed those mirrors($2.99 each) to assist on the blind spots while driving since I am big with safety

Modified by silverboy at 9:00 AM 7/31/2009
Modified by silverboy at 9:01 AM 7/31/2009

philipa_240sx

Great photos silverboy.

Perhaps you can edit your post with some instructions? If so, I can submit it to our articles manager so it can be added to our Technical Articles page:

http://www.nicoclub.com/subpages/nissan-tech.shtml

For your troubles, we can give you a custom title that will appear under your name. (look under my name... my custom title is 'Moderator'.

silverboy

philipa_240sx wrote:Great photos silverboy.

Perhaps you can edit your post with some instructions? If so, I can submit it to our articles manager so it can be added to our Technical Articles page:

For your troubles, we can give you a custom title that will appear under your name. (look under my name... my custom title is 'Moderator'.
philipa_240sx, you got it.I will add more pics.

Also, I'll take better pics and step by step when I'll do the Home Depot mod.

Question, how come you guys don't allow pics to be uploaded?If the problem is hard drive space I'll be more than happy to provide it.Thanks to this forum I already found the problem with the CVT and I'll get it replace next week.

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

Really nice write up, Silverboy.At least, it has to be put in the FAQ.

Nice work and nice finding on which car wires to plug on.

zakmartin
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue, 2008 Nissan 350Z Touring

That's an awesome write-up. I might try that on our Rogue. Thanks for taking the time to photograph everything!

Topper1
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue S

Information and pictures are great. How long did it take you from start to finish to install Sensors.

philipa_240sx

I have submitted this thread for article conversion. I won't add to the FAQ as there is already a link in there to the technical articles page. This thread will appear there in a couple of weeks (depends on how busy our article managers are).

silverboy

Just added four more pics.The third one from the top and the three last three in the bottom. I placed some info on some of them as well.
Topper1 wrote:Information and pictures are great. How long did it take you from start to finish to install Sensors.
I'll say it can take anyone between 2-3 Hrs.If you are somehow handy, you can do it.

IF YOU'RE NOT HANDY, DON'T DO IT!GET TOGETHER WITH A FELLOW ROGUE OWNER, GET THEM A SIX PACK, WATCH THEM DO THE WORK OR JUST HANDLE THE CAMERA AND TAKE MORE PICS.....

rouge-rogue
Car: 09 Nissan Rogue S AWD

Wow, I am speechless. dude it looks like a whole day's project, excellent DIY info and pics. Not sure if I am ready yet to try something like this but one of these days I think I will try this

silverboy

rouge-rogue wrote:Wow, I am speechless. dude it looks like a whole day's project, excellent DIY info and pics. Not sure if I am ready yet to try something like this but one of these days I think I will try this
DO NOT LET PICS INTIMIDATE YOU. (The first time I removed the front bumper on my new 07' Honda CRV I freakout).

Really, anyone can do it. I'll say worse case scenerio, will take you three hours. Believe it or not, the hardest part was finding the right color wires(it took me almost an hour) but I got them so you won't have to waste that time. The other hard part(time consuming) was taking the wire to the front for the LCD.

Also, it took me a little bit longer because there was no pics like the ones I posted to look for the install.

The other thing on the install is just to make sure that you do not scarpe the bumper. Also, you can have somebody to help you to remove/install the bumper.

Feel free to ask questions, I'll be happy to assist anyone.Next, HD mod.
Modified by silverboy at 10:35 AM 8/1/2009

roadside
Car: Black '09 Rogue SL FWD (Canadian)

Thanks to the awesome write-up by silverboy, I finally found the courage to install the much-needed backup sensor in my '09 Rogue.

It's only been a couple of days, but I already can't imagine backing up without it. This should be standard equipment on all models.

Here's the model I bought: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10283 Just $30 shipping included. So far, it works great. Distance is measured in meters and is quite accurate. One thing to note is that it emits a beep when it powers up from the reverse light (this happens even when you shift past R to D.

The installation was very straight forward (thanks to silverboy), but I took my sweet time. Now that I know what I'm doing, I will help a friend install one on his Rogue. I'm pretty sure it can be done in one hour.

Modified by roadside at 4:54 PM 12/2/2009

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I pickup up a nice backup camera (license plate mount) and bluetooth unit on Boxing Day, regular price was 250 I got mine for 99.99 from Canadian Tire. Here is the unit (but without Bluetooth):

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en

Install was much easier than the OP silverboy's DIY above. Step 1 was to stick the rearview mirror on over top of the existing, run the wire under the headliner edge down to 12V power (I used the 12V outlet, can wire directly to fuse box when I have spare time). The wires hid very easily and took only 10 minutes.

Next step was to remove one of the back tail lights - 3 bolts from inside the hatch. Use a wire tap to connect to power, drill a hold through sheet metal behind license plate, pull wire from tail light to license plate hole. Connect camera, sit it on license plate frame and screw license plate on as usual. Test and aim camera. Done, total time = 45 minutes, I could do it in 20 minutes now, the biggest problem was removing the tail light cover because it was stuck on with the adhesive foam seal (poor install from factory).

Communication from the camera to the rearview display is wireless, and the coolest feature I think is the camera has "night vision". I pitch black conditions you can see a clear, brightly illuminated image of whats behind you just like in daylight, even with true colors - not sure how this is possible but I like it.

This unit doesn't have the sensors to alert you to objects/impending collision, its just a camera but works great for $100! Camera display is a little small but it is better than what I had before - I would not have been happy had I spent 200+ but for 100 I'm very satisfied and I've now added $500-$1000 to the resale value of the car (wishful thinking???)!!

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

Nice Kerrton, do you have pics of the camera installed? Do you have the tech package on your Rogue? If so then your auto-dimming rear view mirror doesn't work anymore does it?

Qashqai

kerrton wrote: drill a hold through sheet metal behind license plate... I've now added $500-$1000 to the resale value of the car (wishful thinking???)!!
You should use grommets for the wire passing through the metal or at least waterproof the edges of the hole with something like RTV silicone. If I were you, I would never drill a hole on the body of the car without properly sealing. Especially the rear is one of the most salt-sprayed surfaces of the car.

From my previous experience, when you are selling a 2008 Nissan Rogue, the price is prety much set. Noone will pay 500 or 1000 more for the camera. On the other hand, my friend installed the same camera and after one or two months there happened to be a communication error between the camera and the screen. I could be a random production error but just keep the receipt well.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

daryl, no tech package on my 08 Rogue SL, so its just a basic rearview mirror. The new mirror attaches very easily and can be removed in about 30 seconds if need be. The nice thing is there is no issue mounting a seperate screen, this looks nice and clean similar to OEM.

Good point about drilling a hole through the hatch sheetmetal - I did cringe when doing this, and I did use a rubber grommet properly sized to the hole for a nice tight fit, and to be extra careful I placed a dab of sealant/caulk over the hole to be sure no moisture enters the inside of the hatch.

Agreed that my $200 backup camera and bluetooth likely won't add much if any to the resale value, but it might make the car a little more marketable and easy to sell if and when I ever decide to sell privately. Or the camera could die a year from now, in which case it can be removed in about 5 minutes.

newsysop
Car: Nissan Rogue

@silverboy, thank you very much for this great information. This is the exact information I was looking for! Unfortunately, it seems all pics are gone. I know it was posted 9 years ago but do you still have those pics? It will be greatly appreciated if you could post them again. Sincerely.

Karona
Car: '99 Infiniti QX4 (R.I.P)
'08 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I second that, would love to see the pictures. Strange that the last post was in 2013 yet this was at the top of the forum.

Return to “Rogue Forum”