Ride Vibration at 60-65 MPH

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
RustyShackleford
Car: Red Piggy w/Black Meshies

My steering wheel starts to shake left to right at about 60-65 mph. It moves about 1/2" to 1", the wheel circumference-wise. The car also starts to vibrate a little after reaching 60. I'm not sure if it's a big deal or not. I tried searching but I couldn't come up with any answers. It's just something that's been bothering me a little. It goes away if it's under 60 or above 65 every single time. Thanks in advance. By the way I drive a 90 240 Coupe I don't know if that may help.

darens13
Car: '93 240sx, '90 chevy 1500, '49 dodge pickup

tire out of balance??

Ilvemynissan
Car: 240sx s13

I just decided to chime in and say, great username man, made me lol for a sec.

MySXisSlowerThanUrs
Car: Toyota Mr2, Nissan 350z, 89 Piggy 240sx

Something like that sounds as simple as, already mentioned tire out of balance. Bring them somewhere like walmart or somewhere cheap so they could check if the appropriate weights if any weights are attached!

clss240
Car: 1990 240sx hatch

tire rod end(s)

DMan II-40
Car: 1995 240SX SE

I test drove a 95 240sx at a dealership once that was doing the same thing. But it was alot more vibration. I told the guy about it when i got back and he said htey didn't test drive cars before the buy them, blah blah. Glad it had that problem because the wheels were ulgy and I found a way better deal later. Just a story I wanted to share, I dont know what the problem is. Pobably what these other guys said, tire balance

ANVIL
Car: RB25DET S13.5

first id say check for wheel balance, then tie rods/ends. then tires. had a friend of mine do the same thing and his lug nuts were loose, so check that too.

Dire91
Car: 1997 Nissan 240sx SE

My Kouki does the same thing, it doesn't really bother me that much but I do want it fixed. Does yours get worse when you brake? Because my goes insane when I do.

ANVIL
Car: RB25DET S13.5

Dire91 wrote:My Kouki does the same thing, it doesn't really bother me that much but I do want it fixed. Does yours get worse when you brake? Because my goes insane when I do.
that sounds like worn tie rods/ends. could be front rotor warp. check the tie rods for looseness/play and get your front rotors machined.

poems2beats
Car: s13 pignose-sold
S14, current project
99 civic, current DD

ANVIL wrote:first id say check for wheel balance, then tie rods/ends. then tires. had a friend of mine do the same thing and his lug nuts were loose, so check that too.
. Also, your rotors might be warped.

nstabl
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx

Has this been happening forever or did it just start? It could be the tires / bent or unbalanced rim. I don't know how tie rod ends would affect it at only those speeds but thats possible too. and if you're checking that, might as well have your bushings checked too.. but like I said, this is probably an issue with your wheel

Dire91
Car: 1997 Nissan 240sx SE

I'm betting it's the warped rotors because when I brake the pedal jumps back and forth./threadjack

nothing
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

Check your tire pressure too. I think it should be 29psi?

Sushibandito
Car: 1992 240sx HB

Necro-posting but I wanted to get some input before I drop $150 on unnecessary parts. My wheel vibrates fairly aggressively at or above 60 mph. I've tried testing it at up 90, same amount of vibration. I don't remember really what it was like when the car was stock, so I can't pinpoint if it was something changed since then.

I have new Tein tension rods, I don't know if this would contribute to a more direct "road feel" situation. Vibration is just as bad as it was on stock suspension, it now has KYB GR-2's and Tein S-Tech springs. I had the tires balanced, the right front tire was off by 2, pretty sure it was off by 2 lbs, but maybe 2 degrees, can't really remember.

So the next most likely problem is blown tie rod bushings, right? Is there a way to identify a bad bushing? Tension rods were easy, its a big crack in the rubber, but from tie rod pictures, it seems more complicated to determine if it has gone bad

OEM or aftermarket? Tein inner + outer rods are running about $150, better brand than that? Or are the Tein ones really only meant for drifters ie improved steering angle? Which I don't really need, I doubt this car will be seeing the track

NISMO24096

another thing you can check is your power steering fluid, my old 96 would have a slight shimmy at speed when the fluid would get low..i had a slow leak...so when it got shaky i knew it was time to add fluid..lol just a thought for ya...good luck...

Az24tsx

Had a similar problem on my hatch for me it was a combination of rotor warp and my tires were unbalanced as mentioned before go to walmart or something and check it out

koukidreamz

Alot of terrible suggestions in here. Wal-Mart? Really?

You dont have to know what a car even is to work at the wal-mart tire and lube. They will only make your tires worse by chasing weights all around the rim. What size wheels and tires do you have? Do you keep them rotated? Check the air in them?

They're probably right about the balance being off, either that or you have a bad tire. How old are they? Find a REPUTABLE shop to check your wheels and tires for you. For the love of God don't take it to wal-mart or sams club or sears. I'm begging you

Sushibandito

I had Les Schwab do the balancing, that was 2 weeks ago. Air in the tires is fine, rotating isn't going to work since they are staggered sizes.

I'll check the power steering fluid, the vibration is bad enough to make my watch clatter when I drive.

Tire sizes, Front- 225/45/17 17x7Rear - 255/45/17 17x9

They were off an S14, which I think explains the larger tire sizes then anyone is running on S13s.

Not really sure on the age of the tires, the clear coat on one of the 962's is peeling though, but that doesn't help much.

I didn't have the rotors resurfaced when I did my Q45 brake conversion, but my mechanic said they looks solid, and he knows what he is doing as far as I can tell.

So tie rods doesn't really sound like the culprit?

koukidreamz

Sushibandito wrote:I had Les Schwab do the balancing, that was 2 weeks ago. Air in the tires is fine, rotating isn't going to work since they are staggered sizes.

I'll check the power steering fluid, the vibration is bad enough to make my watch clatter when I drive.

Tire sizes, Front- 225/45/17 17x7Rear - 255/45/17 17x9

They were off an S14, which I think explains the larger tire sizes then anyone is running on S13s.

Not really sure on the age of the tires, the clear coat on one of the 962's is peeling though, but that doesn't help much.

I didn't have the rotors resurfaced when I did my Q45 brake conversion, but my mechanic said they looks solid, and he knows what he is doing as far as I can tell.

So tie rods doesn't really sound like the culprit?
I was actually replying to the OP, your problem sounds more like a worn tie rod maybe, and you cant tell if rotors are good just by looking at them (not if they are warped atleast) Does it shake when you hit the brakes? Your tire was 2 ounces out of balance btwm not 2 pounds.

The best way to check for a worn tie rod is to jack the car up under the control arm so the suspension does not go to full droop, grab the front and back side of the tire like you were gripping a steering wheel at 9 and 3, try to shake it back and forth left to right. If there is any noticeable slop then you prob have a bad inner or outer tie rod. Its hard to tell which is bad unless its visibly obvious or you have another person feel which one has the movement in it. You can also do the same thing only with hands and 12 and 6 and shake up and down to check for a bad ball joint

Sushibandito

Thanks for the info, I will jump on it tomorrow and update with what the situation is... Suggestion for a replacement in the event the tie rod is shot?

Gcustoms
Car: 1992 240sx LE

wheel out of balance, i had the same problem on one of my vehicles, try to determine which side it's coming from, once you find the side rotate that side front/rear to pinpoint which wheel is out, rotate them back once you find out which one isnt right, and then get it re-balanced.

Sushibandito

It was the wheels needing to be balanced, the first time I had brought them into Les Schwab, apparently they didn't check the wheel weight position, it was on the edge, and should have been in the middle. Tie rods are still pretty solid, so total cost to go back to rock solid handling...$0.00

Return to “240sx General Discussion”