Review of the 2014 Nissan Versa Note

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

As seen on the homepage:

2014 Nissan Versa Note Review

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

**cliff notes**
In summary, the only thing I really, really like about the Note is the interior space. There is lots of room for people and all their stuff. The gauges and controls are nice and simple and the dash feels uncluttered. The exterior styling was OK but it wasn’t anything that grabbed my attention. The brakes were my biggest complaint, followed closely by the non-functioning turn signals and late to engage automatic door locks. These are all safety issues and I have a huge problem with that. I don’t like the CVT paired with any motor less than a 2.0L and the front seats were way too uncomfortable to even consider a long trip. I would not buy the Note for myself and I wouldn’t buy one for my daughter. Everything I dislike about the car is a much bigger priority than the fuel savings. It was a good effort on the part of Nissan but I feel like they missed their mark

Has anyone else driven one yet? Your thoughts? If you are a Versa owner, would you trade your car in on a Note?

Jesda

One positive:

"Note" is a cute and tidy name for a small car.

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

My brother has a 2011 Versa, courtesy of James. Its no where near as loaded as the Note you drove (hell, its probably the only car in production in the USA with roll up windows) and its sticker price was far less, too. In all the car is slow, boring to drive, handles poorly, has an awful interior and despite all of these short comings, it does EXACTLY what its supposed to do very well; drive for many miles in an easy & cheap to maintain car that has working a/c and a warranty until you are established and buy something much nicer. Kinda like the Yaris.

One point I'm wondering is if the Note can be ordered bare bones like the previous generation Versa to price it as cheaper, or if Nissan is adapting what seems to be the 'new' standard of 'standard equipment.' Regardless, I'm starting to see Nissan's end goal here.
If my brothers Versa is anywhere near as reliable as the 240sx I/he had (that James has now converted to a truck and regularly beats the piss out of) my guess is that he'll stay with a Nissan brand because of the reliability, affordability , and value of his previous vehicles- even if they sucked, were gutless, and poorly appointed. Like Becky said, even a Sentra is a pretty nice 'upgrade' from the bottom of the barrel. As a result, the Maxima might not be what we knew the Maxima to be, but when/if he buys another Nissan, its going to be a pretty badass car from his point of view. Either way, I'm still insisting that he buy a new Miata or used Corvette to supplement his boring mobile once he's all set and passes his Rx boards.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

So Note is a name-change from Versa? I'd gotten the impression it was a "Pathfinder Armada" style strategy to introduce a DIFFERENT car using a recognizable name. The thing looked so tiny when I saw it in person that I figured it was a whole 'nother model. Granted I don't spend more time than necessary around Versas, so I'm probably not the best judge on that front.

It's certainly better-looking than the Versa, but that...whateverthehell it is Chris Bangle copycat convex garbage going on along the doors is abominable. It looks exceptionally bad.

I really just don't understand what would lead someone to "need" a car like the Note. I'm also SHOCKED at how expensive "cheap" cars have gotten. Stuff like Notes and iQs easily cross the 18k mark. SO LITTLE CAR for the money. And by the time you add some "basic" options, you end up spending as much as a "real" car that comes with those things standard. These cars need to get a LOT cheaper without losing any "features." $12k is the most I would EVER consider spending on something like that. $10k should buy a moderately-equipped model...power steering and AC but manual everything else.

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

The cheapest model is the "S" for $13,990. You get A/C, a manual trans, and a stereo system with an aux jack. I haven't had a chance to drive the manual yet, so I'm holding back all of my ire until I do so. I'm guessing it will be similar to my experience driving the Juke. The manual trans transformed the whole car.
frapjap wrote:it does EXACTLY what its supposed to do very well; drive for many miles in an easy & cheap to maintain car that has working a/c and a warranty until you are established and buy something much nicer.
You know what I'd do instead? Go buy the 2012 hatch so you could at least get the 1.8. I'm telling you, the 1.6+CVT is effing scary :ohno:

Jesda

The old Versa hatchback had interesting, if not at all pretty French styling. This new one looks like a miniature Quest minivan.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Jesda wrote:This new one looks like a miniature Quest minivan.
The new Quest MIGHT be the most stately and classiest-looking minivan ever sold in the US. Nissan was wise to finally make use of the Elgrand, which has always had a far more upscale look than the minivans we're used to seeing on this continent. The Quest cues are what I like most in the Note.

nissangirl74

What bothers me the most is the fact that I KNOW Nissan can build an awesome 1.6L motor. We own 40 year old versions of it and they are awesome! The one in the Roadster is incredible. The itty bitty motor isn't the complete issue. It's the CVT paired with the 1.6L that's the problem. CVT + 1.8L isn't fabulous but at least you can avoid getting killed in it.

VSblacktop
Car: '12 Versa Hatch, 6spd. Work in progress.

the turn signal thing and the door locks not engaging were most likely due to the "transport fuse" being pulled out. they do that when they're in transit so they can't leave something on and kill the battery. I had the same issues when I bought my '12 hatch. as for the soft brakes, it could be a similar issue (i.e. the power brakes not working due to a fuse out of place) I agree bout the CVT with the 1.6. I like my 6 speed with the 1.8, which is why we didn't wait for the Note. i'm not crazy about the body styling of the Note or the next gen Versa sedan. our '09 sedan and '12 hatch are very distinctive looking cars, whereas the new sedan and the Note tend to blend in and look just like every other econo car on the road. as for price point, I know the bone stock version MSRPs for 13,999 I only paid 14,500 for my S model hatch, which is much more nicely equipped than the base model Note. just my 2 cents.

nissangirl74

What kind of mileage do you get out of the 2012?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

MinisterofDOOM wrote:
The new Quest MIGHT be the most stately and classiest-looking minivan ever sold in the US. Nissan was wise to finally make use of the Elgrand, which has always had a far more upscale look than the minivans we're used to seeing on this continent. The Quest cues are what I like most in the Note.
^ THIS.

Honda ruined the Odyssey, and Nissan nailed the Quest.

Jesda

MinisterofDOOM wrote:
I like the Quest look on a large minivan. It's silly on the Versa. Styling that used to be geometrically funky has been snuffed out.

Small cars will never be elegant so they should emphasize personality.

VSblacktop
Car: '12 Versa Hatch, 6spd. Work in progress.

I get about 30 city and 33 hwy, with a 6 speed, but I have a pretty heavy foot. and I figured it out. Put a Note next to a Prius C (or whatever the small one's called). They look a lot alike, at least on the front and sides. No thanks.

OriginalWheelman
Car: '15 Ford Focus Electric

The old Versa hatch was made on the B Platform

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_B_platform

The new Versa Note is on the same chassis as the Micra, which is the same chassis as the current Versa Sedan. While it is a nice change in terms of styling and options, it lacks in the chassis department. I had one for a rental while my Versa was at the dealer for work, and I tried to take corners at the same speeds as my Versa S Hatch. I understeered half a lane on a mid-speed sweeping corner. I hate it. I actually returned it the next day and had them give me an Altima to drive. My wife and I tried to buy a 2013 Versa so we could get one new before this came out, as neither of us wanted to buy one. But the only local dealer who had a manual was ridiculous. So we opted to not buy it.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

OriginalWheelman wrote:The old Versa hatch was made on the B Platform

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_B_platform

The new Versa Note is on the same chassis as the Micra, which is the same chassis as the current Versa Sedan. While it is a nice change in terms of styling and options, it lacks in the chassis department. I had one for a rental while my Versa was at the dealer for work, and I tried to take corners at the same speeds as my Versa S Hatch. I understeered half a lane on a mid-speed sweeping corner. I hate it. I actually returned it the next day and had them give me an Altima to drive. My wife and I tried to buy a 2013 Versa so we could get one new before this came out, as neither of us wanted to buy one. But the only local dealer who had a manual was ridiculous. So we opted to not buy it.
This is one of the reasons I'm still thinking that this is a familiar-name-transition. I expect 2015 Notes to just be Notes. No Versa name at all. It really is a different car, on a different platform. In Asian markets, the Versa and Note have coexisted for years. I'm not sure if the note is REPLACING the Versa here, or just supplementing it, but I expect the Versa name to disappear from the hatchback either way.

=================
Looking at the pics in the article, I'm reminded of a tiny nitpick that becomes a HUGE annoyance for me on modern Nissans. The steering wheel controls.

Firstly: The cruise and radio controls on the steering wheel are on the WRONG SIDE.
Why does this matter?
Because my right hand belongs on the shifter. Yes, I drive an automatic. And yes, Notes are CVT. But I still have habit from YEARS of driving manual cars and my current superb manumatic. My right hand goes on the shifter. Even when I'm cruising on the highway in "D5" full-auto mode, that's the most comfortable driving position for me. In my LS8 I can tweak cruise settings to suit traffic without having to distrupt my comfortable driving position. I can't in the Note or my dad's Max or any other Nissan.

It seems silly, but I'd wager MOST PEOPLE are this way. Right arm goes on the arm rest, right? THAT'S WHY IT'S THERE. So the DRIVING-RELATED controls need to be left-handed.

And Secondly:
The controls are arranged in a way that isn't really usable without removing your hand from the wheel. Which ENTIRELY DEFEATS THE PURPOSE OF STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS.
Yes, IN THEORY, you could operate them with your thumbs. But anyone who's driven one knows that they're too far inboard for that to be a natural motion without at least adjusting your grip on the wheel.

My LS8 again trumps the Nissan's design by using fingertip rockers BEHIND THE WHEEL. Not only are the thumb and fingertip switches right where I put my hand naturally, but using switches BEHIND the wheel means theres's not a sea of cluttered buttons on the face.

Compare this to the Note's wheel:

txchamps
Car: 2015 Versa Note SV, 2023 Kia Rio S

I disagree with this review on a number of issues.

Before I bought my 5 speed manual ( I like manuals) I rented an SV for a 180-mile round trip. I learned quickly that if you floor it, it "down shifts", taking the RPMs up to 4000, right in the Versa's wheelhouse. It pulled the car along admirably, so I had no problems with merging, passing, or whatever you might need that power range for. But that's not enough for the reviewer, I guess. It's power was adequate for this driver, however.

I cannot imagine for the life of me what is uncomfortable about the seats. I hardly notice them, which is a good thing IMO.

Turn signal? Well, it obviously needs to be repaired. Probably a fuse. Locks slow to lock? Well, that's why I bought a car with manual locks and windows. The effort required to lock your door and roll the window up and down is minimal. I have no problems doing it myself. I have always felt that the less electrical crap you have on your car, the less the cost to maintain over the life of the car. I was very happy to find a car equipped that way. But if you buy one with the electrical stuff, yes it should work. Warranty issue -- get it fixed. On the one I rented, everything worked just fine. You can't point to that and say it's an issue with the entire line.

Styling is a personal thing. I personally love the way my buggy looks, and so does my wife. It's a matter of taste. It is also one of the last things I consider when buying a car. It is among the first things the reviewer considered. My priorities are different.

The brakes on mine work great. In fact, I thought at first that they were a bit touchy, but I learned how to modulate the pedal within the first hour of driving it.

The road and wind noise, and the smoothness of the ride, are among the best I have ever experienced in a small car. I am 60 years old, and have (with one exception) always driven small cars. I speak from experience.

Yes, it's a cheap ride. But I like to think that I got value for my car-buying dollar. It's new yet, so we shall see.

Happy driving, everyone!

AZhitman
Administrator

Good counterpoints!

I suspect, if a 5-speed with manual locks and windows had been available, it might have been a little better-received.

Keep in mind, the reviewer drives a 280hp hatchback and a 300+ hp classic Z. She might be a bit of a horsepower snob. ;)

txchamps
Car: 2015 Versa Note SV, 2023 Kia Rio S

AZhitman wrote:Good counterpoints!

I suspect, if a 5-speed with manual locks and windows had been available, it might have been a little better-received.

Keep in mind, the reviewer drives a 280hp hatchback and a 300+ hp classic Z. She might be a bit of a horsepower snob. ;)
Thanks!

At my age and income level, I can't afford to be a horsepower snob :frown: High horses means low mileage, and I'm cheap. :yesnod

Return to “Versa General Chat”