Reverse light wire? Rearview camera hook up

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
slickroger
Car: Nissan Pathfinder 2001

Hey I'm trying to hook up my rear view camera and cant figure out which light is the reverse wire. Im pretty sure the fsm says its a yellow wire but i cant locate it.

I also wanted to hook it up so that I can turn it on when I want to and have it still turn on when I put it in reverse, any ideas?

Pwnin O'Brien

It is the yellow wire. You can find it behind the passengers kick-panel. The yellow wire will be in the top wiring harness, it's pin 18 in that harness.

I had to tap into the same wire for my head unit.

rydebynite
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5l V-6

to have it running power all the time should be a constant power correct? If u just do it to the accessory wire (reverse light wire harness from the bulb) it will only come on when the car is put into reverse~!?~!?

Pwnin O'Brien

rydebynite wrote:to have it running power all the time should be a constant power correct? If u just do it to the accessory wire (reverse light wire harness from the bulb) it will only come on when the car is put into reverse~!?~!?
Well on my Pioneer head unit when it detects 12V on the reverse wire, it automatically goes to the rear view camera, and you can't do anything on the head unit until you take the vehicle out of reverse. If you fed it constant 12V then it would think the car was always in reverse and the unit would stay permanently on the reverse camera screen.

Here's the bad news: The only option would be to hook up a switch (which will be connected to a constant 12V source) and then flip the switch when you want the rear view screen to show. THis would then allow you to turn on your rear view camera whenever you wanted without having the vehicle in reverse. However, you would also have to flip this switch whenever you go to back up, because you can't hook the switch and the reverse wire up to the same wire, because whenever you flip the switch, your reverse lights would go on. So you don't want to be driving and then flip the switch to see behind you and then freak out the person behind you because your reverse lights turn on.

rydebynite

[IMG] [/IMG] o boi.why does this sound alot harder than it looks!??!?! well ill let u know how it turns out .got me a 12led infrared

slickroger

This is the one I bought.

Its not that complicated, I think your mixing up the wires the 12v wire that hooks directly to the camera can be hooked up to a constant 12v source. Than run the video to the deck.

What pwnin is talking about is the trigger wire that hooks directly to the deck from the reverse wire. This one switches the screen to the reverse camera when the trigger wire gets 12v.

I think what I'm looking for is an SPDT switch so I can have it hooked to the reverse wire but still be able to switch it to a constant to view at any time.

Modified by slickroger at 12:47 AM 10/10/2009

rydebynite

Ok I cant believe Ive had this thing for like 4 months and is only now trying to put it in. But anyway. The cam has 12v power and is grounded. I have a brown wire which comes out from the back of headunit, I tried grounding it and got nothing. I ran it to 12v power n nothing. I was told it's supposed to go to the reverse wire under the gear shift. I barely can even tell which one is the wire fore reverse~!?~!?

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

rdebynite: What camera? What head unit? If I can google up the manualsfor them, I can help.

Chuck

rydebynite

Its some off brand from China call EONON I got for 186 buks off of Ebay. Double din.Ive got everything working on it fine.hearest TV's, bluetooth,USB,SC card slot, DVD player. I got the rearview cam wired up. When I put the car in reverse I have it running 12v power off of the brake light so I see the infrared turning on, plus i tested it out inside the house on my tv so the cam is not the problem.Just not sure where the hell this so called trigger wire is supposed to go~!?~!?

Pwnin O'Brien

rydebynite wrote:Its some off brand from China call EONON I got for 186 buks off of Ebay. Double din.Ive got everything working on it fine.hearest TV's, bluetooth,USB,SC card slot, DVD player. I got the rearview cam wired up. When I put the car in reverse I have it running 12v power off of the brake light so I see the infrared turning on, plus i tested it out inside the house on my tv so the cam is not the problem.Just not sure where the hell this so called trigger wire is supposed to go~!?~!?
99% of the time the trigger wire will need to be hooked up to the tail lamps like you said above but you also may need to configure the head unit to let it know that you are using a rear view camera. On my head unit I have to configure the head unit so that everytime it detects the 12V on the trigger wire it automatically switches to the rear view RCA inputs. I just had to go into the setting menu and set it.

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

What model Eonon?

I looked at the manuals on Eonon's website, and picked the E1012 based mostlyon price. On that model, you need to have the Orange wire control selectingthe backup camera. It probably needs to be pulled to +12 to have the headunit displaying what the camera is showing. Other models may be different.

rydebynite

I have the E1091 . I been scanning through a lot of the features and I see nothing on adjusting for rear view cam function. I got to hunt for the manual. Well I ran the trigger wire to the 12v tail light (same one im using to power cam) and now it automatically swtiches to the rear view cam feature but all I get is a blue screen. Not displaying any image.

Chuck Tribolet

Blue screen usually indicates no video signal.

It took me about two minutes to find the manual on the Eonon Web site.

The brown wire on the square connector goes to the + side of the backup lights,which it looks like you've done.

The video cable from the camera goes to the violet wire on the round connector.

Empty V
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1982 Corvette C3 Shark

So Roger what did you end up doing? Since we're showing pics, here's one of my rear view camera which is wired the normal way. Put the vehicle in reverse and the screen automatically switches to the camera.

slickroger

I hooked my camera up to a switch but I will be wiring it to the reverse wire when it gets warmer.

I had hooked it to a switch so I can turn it on whenever I want. But after hooking it up I discovered that my pioneer deck had a function that displays the rearview camera at all times while providing the GPS in the corner. So if I want the full GPS screen tap it and the map takes the full screen.

here is the gps and rearview I was talking about

This is with the switch engaged

Where its mounted

I never actually use this camera when reversing I think its much safer to do it the natural way.
Modified by slickroger at 11:23 PM 2/9/2010

rydebynite

Well I had a friend check it out.Everything was connected correctly all along. Come to find out I had to send the T.V. in for repair. The video inputs and outpus and auxillary rca were not putting out any signal

Kim5

Rear view camerais especially useful in tight parking lots, dark areas or in places where children might be running around. You can install as many of these cameras as you want, though one or two is usually enough.

Chuck Tribolet

And for backing up to your boat trailer.

Chuck

slickroger

Chuck Tribolet wrote:And for backing up to your boat trailer.

Chuck
this is very true I lower the camera far enough that I can see the hitch and it makes it so easy to hook a trailer up yourself.

brianschen
Car: bmw

Rear view camera is especially useful in tight parking lots, dark areas or in places where children might be running around. You can install as many of these cameras as you want, though one or two is usually enough.
Agree !

Chuck Tribolet

Pwnin O'Brien wrote:It is the yellow wire. You can find it behind the passengers kick-panel. The yellow wire will be in the top wiring harness, it's pin 18 in that harness.

I had to tap into the same wire for my head unit.
At least on an '02, FSM says pin 13, not 18, and somebody successfully used that info:
qx4-reverse-wire-location-t523081.html

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”