Reset tpms yourself

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
TDot
Car: 2008 M35X, Lakeshore Slate/Tan

Has anyone here had success with programming new tpms themselves? How? Throw on new tpms, set specific psi, and put the car in learning mode. Once driving the car should learn the new tpms ID. Every Nissan and Infinit is supposed to be able to do this, but I'm not picking up the ID once I have the car in learn mode. Has anyone here done this with their M?

Bayy1
Car: 2007 M45 Sport, Injen Air Intake, Stillen Exhaust Cat Back, Pilot Sport A/S Plus, Infiniti OEM Ground Kit & Spoiler, 3M Clear bra, Grey/Charcoal

This is some information that I compiled from Myg37.com by "Modme" and a couple of other members replies. I haven't tried it yet. I got a set of custom rims and OEM tires with the OEM TPMS from a 2010 g37 that were already mounted and balanced. The front tires are a tad smaller than my 2007 M45 Sport and the off set is a little different. The front tires look like they are the same off set, but the rears stick out about a half inch farther. The price was right so I put them on. The car drives great with the wheel package and I haven't noticed any anomalies. I have driven about 500 miles and the TPMS won't link-up, like they do after a few days when I rotate the original tires. I called the Stealership and they told me that they don't know if they can link up the g37 TPMS with my car and I just have to bring them in and they will try. The parts guy did say that the two cars show a different part number for each car's TPMS, but that they might still link up.
When I get a chance I'm going to try the below instructions that I cut and pasted: If anyone has had any luck with the different TPMS, let me know. I'll update too after I get a chance to try it.
This is where I got the info with some pics.
http://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-insta ... -free.html

"This method will work with any set of new TPMS as long as they are the Shrader brand sensors used by Nissan/Infiniti. When you set the car to learning mode, it is actively looking for signals sent by the sensors. When it finds them at the correct pressure, it registers these 4 sensors and remembers it. When you put on a different set of wheels, you will have to do this process again."

FWIW, for those who had problem here is what I found out. After pressing the Start button twice to be in the ON position I had to immediately start grounding the connector. If I waited more than a few seconds to start the process the light was lit solid.

After visiting the dealer today to reset/program my 19" sport wheels I just put on I observed what the Tech was doing I went home and did further investigating.Here is what I found.

It seems that every Nissan/Infiniti Equipt with OEM Schrader TPMS you can RESET/RELEARN anytime you want.

Step 1: Set the tires to the following pressures, they have to be exact:

Tire position Tire pressure kPa (kg/cm2, psi)
Front LH 240 (2.4, 34)
Front RH 220 (2.2, 31)
Rear RH 200 (2.0, 29)
Rear LH 180 (1.8, 26)

Step 2: Locate the TPMS interface plug. This is a white female plug that is attached to the OBD II wire loom under the dash right about where your left knee would be when sitting in the driver's seat. You may have to cut the tape that is holding the TPMS interface plug to the OBD II wire loom.I found mine 4 inches up and to the left inside the fuse box near your left knee.It is very short versus other vehicles I looked at. After you locate the white 2 pin connecter youll see it only has 1 wire in it.I think the wire is Yellow or white.Just stick a paper clip or small wire into the that 1 wire and tap it to a ground.I used my steering colum as it was in the area and a real ground. remember not all metal there is a ground.

Step 3: Attach a paper clip or wire into the interface plug.

Step 4: Put your key in the ignition and turn it to the last click before the engine starts.Or push the push start button twice. This is the KOEO position (Key On, Engine Off).

Step 5: Tap the end of the paper clip on any exposed ground (metal) 6 times within 10 seconds of turning ignition on.Make sure it is a real ground and not just any metal you find.

Step 6: If you completed step 5 then the TPMS warning light will start to slowly flash and you have activated the TPMS relearn process. If it flashes fast that's not right. If yours isn't flashing slowly then check your connections, turn the ignition off and start over at step 4.

Step 7: Once you confirm the lights do not stop flashing, step on the brake and start the car. Do not turn the car to OFF position. Start driving >25mph until the light goes out. It could take as long as ten minutes.

Step 8: The light will quickly come back on due to the low tire pressures. Refill your tires to the correct pressure.

I did it in a different way.
1) Start the engine. ( Yes , engine is running)
2) Grounding the wire 5 times triggers the blinking.
3) Drive the car for 15 min. with the different pressures in each tires.
4) Tpms light off.
5) put back proper pressure on tires. Done.

Set the tires to the following pressures, they have to be exact:
Tire position kPa bar kg/cm2 PSI
front left 240 2.40 2.45 34.8
front right 220 2.20 2.24 31.9
rear right 200 2.00 2.04 29.0
rear left 180 1.80 1.84 26.1
Locate the TPMS interface socket. This is a white female connector that is attached to a white (or yellow) wire attached to the OBD II wire loom under the dash right about where your left knee would be when sitting in the driver's seat. You may have to cut the tape that is holding the TPMS interface socket to the OBD II wire loom.
Attach a paper clip or wire into the interface plug.
Start the engine.
Tap the end of the paper clip or wire on any exposed ground (metal) 5 times within 10 seconds.
If you completed the previous step correctly then the TPMS warning light will start to flash slowly: you have activated the TPMS relearn process. If it flashes fast, that's not right. If yours isn't flashing slowly, then check your connections, turn the ignition off and start over at step 4.
Once you confirm the lights do not stop flashing (wait more than a minute; two minutes is good), start driving at at least 25 MPH until the light goes out. It could take as long as ten minutes.
Inflate tires to 230 kPa (33.4 PSI) so the light doesn't come on to indicate that some of your tires are low. You might be able to drive 6 miles or more before light will come back on due to low tire pressure. If the light does come back on due to low tire pressures, go ahead and reinflate them and the light will probably turn off later once the tire pressures are acceptable.

TDot

Yes every Nissan is "supposed" to be able to work off this, however did you get the M to work off this? I didnt. Two pitfalls I found. First, whatever you're using to measure psi needs to be spot on. I bought three different devices and two of them gave different psi readings. Second, the receiver needs to be spot on, it seems my front left receiver had a +2 psi reading. So those two things ended up causing me to bring the car to Infiniti for them to set it after days of trying. Luckily I just told them it wasnt reading instead of me putting new ones in and I was there for other warrenty stuff, so they didnt charge me for programming aftermarket tpms. I want to see someone actually get this done with an M.

Bayy1
Car: 2007 M45 Sport, Injen Air Intake, Stillen Exhaust Cat Back, Pilot Sport A/S Plus, Infiniti OEM Ground Kit & Spoiler, 3M Clear bra, Grey/Charcoal

I'll let you know this weekend.
Thanks for the advice!

digorf
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

My tire pressure light was blinking and nissan says was two bad tpms. but i followed this instruction and now the light is off.
Inflated tires to different pressure, found tpms wire (purple in my rogue sl 2008) and inserted a long telephone wire from it to ground (used emergency brake as ground) Because was blinking before, turned to solid light. Did again and turned from solid to blinking. at this time i started the car turning the ignition just the last click of the key, not turning to off and on again. drove for about 4 miles with it blinking and suddenly the light went off. I adjusted the pressure to 38 without turning off the engine.

One more step i did that I read in other web site: I took all the air off the tires to the last drop and waited for 5 minutes, so the tpms go to learning mode, before inflate again. As estimate form nissan, i saved $500+tax for 2 tpms

i don't know if can be done with new tpms bought from internet or only works with the ones that are in place

mexillis
Car: M45s

bump, has anyone done this with an M? If not I will be doing it soon, hopefully this week.

White-Rush
Car: 06 M35S - Sold
11 M37S - Ran hard and sold
16 Q70S

i just put my factory sport wheels back on, so i could clean up my Work's really good. and after reading all of this, i was like ...... the hell with that.

I'll just spend the $60 dollars and have the dealer reflash mine. ( another sign of me getting old, because that's too much effort for something that may not work as planned)..

But thanks for the effort and posting this, because others will truly appreciate you putting this up.

JOHNQ
Car: 99Qt
02 Q
03 M

Worked like a charm on my 2003 M45. Set the tires to the different pressures first. I started the engine then the paper clip relearn within 10 seconds and got the slow blinking TPMS light. Went for a drive and within a mile the light went out, I heard a set of beeps first one then two then three then four and a confirmation beep and voila the pressures then showed up on the screen. Thanks op your appreciated.

TDot

Here's a sad (for the store owner) and amusing story.

My rear left air valves was bad, so I went to this place I've been going for the past 5 years to get quick things done, inspection, alignments, etc. I was a loyal customer to him. He says i need to replace the tpms, gives me a good price. I said, "Wait, when you put that in are you sure you can program it? I've had an issue before where I went to MANY places asking them to program new tpms and they ALL said they couldn't do it, only Infiniti has the gear to program M35s. They don't let anyone else do it. So before I give you the go ahead, I'm not paying you, to then have to go to Infiniti and pay them even more." He tells me not to worry he can take care of it. I say fine...in the back of my head I know this isn't going to work. So they do it. When it's done they tell me it's working but the rear right one went out. What?!?! How did that happen?!?! He says, "It can't be explained, sometimes it just goes, battery, malafunction." I tell him I don't want to hear that. We go back and forth for less than two minutes and I'm actually being very nice and diplomatic. All of a sudden he straight loses it. "You're accusing me of taking the other tpms out!?! Here, take your money back and get out! I dont need this $#/T! I Knew it, I knew this would happen!" What did he know? Anyway, I explain to him I'm actually not accusing him of anything, just that the likelihood of what he's saying happened is just extremely unlikely and I need him to take the time to figure things out. Back and forth he's ranting, gives me my money back and I leave.
I drive off, and what do you know, the same tpms I came to have the valve replaced is now showing no signal. You know why? Because he couldn't program it!! So I guess I KNEW IT. I felt like going back and telling him he was a jackass and he was reading it backwards, but decided forget it and go on my way with a free tpms and service. He lost $80 and a loyal customer with two cars all because of paranoia, impatience, and pride smh. :facepalm:

antzrus
Car: '06 M35x Premium/Obsidian/Bourbon/
Rosewood/XM/Tint/
ClearBra/SteelSkidPlate/Genuine CoCo Mats/Michelin CrossClimate2/Nav Hack/M-1

:nono: :nono: Sounds like he didn't take his Prozac that morning...

satown210
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37
2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road

Tried this procedure on a 2012 M37. Does not work. My light is flashing due to 4 new sensors. So each time I start the car, the light is already flashing. Grounding the wire does not change it or keep it flashing. I did the same procedure on my Xterra for new sensors and it worked right away.

gavnator
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35X Obsidian Black, Bourbon Interior, Journey, Navigation
2013 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring

I had a problem with my tpms system about 6 months ago after tires were rotated and balanced. I purchase my tires and Discount Tire. I informed them the system was not working (displaying tire pressure) and they reset the system with a handheld device. No charge.

Vanv
Car: 2006 M35x

Same thing with me. Discount tire was able to reset mine after they replaced one for me.

TDot

After my failed attempt a decade ago to do this myself and massive digging for the past week, I think I found the light.

Previous attempts seem to have been done with sensors with new IDs vs simply putting in new sensors with already learned IDs. The theory, the car is simply looking at the same old sensors.

Step 1: Buy https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BGN ... DPT9&psc=1
Step 2: Rent https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and- ... 044660_0_0 for free
Step 3: Clone them, put them in and drive.
Step 4: Smile

I'm contemplating putting them in myself, or taking them to Mavis to put them in for $20 a tire. I kind of want to try something new, but I just don't trust messing with the whole tire bead thing.

So I'll be trying this in about a week, if anybody knows for certain that cloning and replacing wont simply work, let me know.

TDot

It all worked out, you can do this yourself without the dealership. Rent a Autel maxitpms ts508wf from your local auto store, and buy Autel MX1 Sensors. Clone your original sensors and put them in. Put the sensors in yourself (youtube university) or pay a shop to do it.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”