Replacing Fuel Pump...

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
boqibama
Car: 07 Versa 1.8L SL CVT

I also have start-up issue since last week around 12,000 mi, and I noticed that I am not the only one, the engine need the second try to start-up. Dose having fuel pump replaced really solve the problem? Does NISSAN develop an new-design fuel pump to hold the pressure? Please share your information,

Versagirlie
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa 1.8SL CVT Hatchback

mine has started the same thing....bleh only 5000 miles...I'm planning on calling the dealer today

xtwoonamatchx
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S

take it to the dealer... mine went bad pre-5k miles... works fine now.

boqibama

I'm afraid the second pump will dead again. NISSAN should redesign it since it hurts a lot of Versa.

Onyxblue
Car: 1990 300zx n/a, 08 Versa SL, 07 Pathfinder SE, 08 Sentra

No issues at all - I have 9k miles now. I am thinking maybe the issue occurs only on 07 V. Is anyone having the issue on 08?

Versagirlie
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa 1.8SL CVT Hatchback

mine is an 08

boqibama

I noticed that there is a NISSAN servive bulletin for this issuse, the problem affects Vs made before Jan 12, 2008.

boqibama

Versagirlie wrote:mine has started the same thing....bleh only 5000 miles...I'm planning on calling the dealer today
Versagirlie, what did your dealer say? I had mine in today, they told me I need an new pressure regulator not the whole fuel pump.

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

This is from the TSB info listed at

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com...07-08

"NTB07094 IF YOU CONFIRM: The engine needs to be cranked for a long time (4-10 seconds) before the engine starts. And Fuel system pressure after engine shutoff drops lower than 200 kPa (29 psi) after 30 minutes time. ACTION: Replace the fuel pressure regulator. See the Service Procedure for instructions on replacing the fuel pressure regulator. "

boqibama

thanks

GiLLT
Car: Nissan Versa S

After months of squealing brakes and my dealer saying its normal. I decided to bring it to another nissan dealer. l told them at 29k I've been having the start up issue takes atleast 6 seconds to turn over if not a second try.

Let's just say I won't be going back to where I bought my car. Getting new break pads. Rotors machined and the fuel pressure regulator put in. So hopefully this is it for me and no more issues for a while.

boqibama

Update:Had my car back with the new fuel pressure regulator, no start problem, but it looks like the fuel gauge is a little bit low than before. DId anyone pay attention to your fuel gauge after having fuel pump serviced? Any thoughts?

fjwagner
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S et al

I noted the start problem within a few weeks of purchase last November and called my dealer. He immediately told me it was probably the fuel pump and I took it in that day and drove it home the next. No problem since. Great service and no trying to hide a problem.

Gr8dave37
Car: 2008 Blue Onyx Versa S

I've had my versa oh.....six weeks now and started having a starter type problem last week after a long trip to Las Vegas. I will turn the key 4-5 times with no start and finally I had time yesterday and took it in, they just had me make an appointment, but I can't get it in til thursday due to my work schedule.

I'll let you know how it works out.

rafa2210
Car: 2004 nissan 350z roadster

I think this is the only issue i havent had with my V lol !!!! but its good to know... mine is somewhere around 17,000miles :s it has probably been already replaced in one of the accidents lmao

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

anyone know if this is covered passed the 3 year warranty? over kms allowable and it started. figures.

Promise Land
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

boqibama wrote:Update:Had my car back with the new fuel pressure regulator, no start problem, but it looks like the fuel gauge is a little bit low than before. DId anyone pay attention to your fuel gauge after having fuel pump serviced? Any thoughts?
I had my pressure regulator replaced at ~21,000 miles under the TSB. I have an '09 model. I also noticed that my fuel gauge read differently. My gauge used to read slow until half way. 200 miles to the half tank mark. Then it would go through the other half in ~120 miles. Now it's a little more uniform through the full range and it gets closer to E before the fuel light comes on. How is yours reading?

Frank:
It's listed as all 2007 - 2009 Versas, so mileage shouldn't matter (my understanding of the TSB).

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

frankoV wrote:anyone know if this is covered passed the 3 year warranty? over kms allowable and it started. figures.
No...it's not. I had mine fuel pressure regulator go out at 47,000 miles. Cost about $150 to get replaced at the dealer.
Make sure you don't have a full tank of gas when you take it to them to get fixed...otherwise you car will smell like gas for a week. I made that mistake...wasn't thinking the day before and filled up. They get to it by taking out your back seat cushions and access it through the floor.

frankoV

yup, got that news today: $48 for the part; 1 1/2 hour labour charge.

i thinkit stinks -- a known problem, but fixed onlly if it happens in the warranty period

iluvmyVersa08
Car: 2008 SL Sport

frankoV wrote:yup, got that news today: $48 for the part; 1 1/2 hour labour charge.

i thinkit stinks -- a known problem, but fixed onlly if it happens in the warranty period
That's why you should have just gone in while it was under warranty and said it was giving you a hard time to start it :)

frankoV

actually . . . I did go in and suggest they fix it, but they said it started fine so they "couldn't do it"

iluvmyVersa08

frankoV wrote:actually . . . I did go in and suggest they fix it, but they said it started fine so they "couldn't do it"
Wow, that sucks. I would definitely have been really pissed at them if they refused to fix it when the problem was first recognized ... that's what your warranty is for.

When I had my sunroof fixed, my dad told them that on a few occasions it didn't start well and asked them to replace the FPR, and they did. :D

frankoV

I'm royally PO'd right now . . . called to Nissan Canada and talked to the rep about the problem and that it should be fixed because it is an identified on-going problem . . . was basically told that I'm SOL because even if it was a problem I didn't have it until too late.

So now I'm making a case out of it . . . and I won't go quietly.

frankoV

Those who have had it: is this an intermittent problem?

Since its cooled down a bit I have had no problems at all.

It'll warm up in a week or two -- do I expect it to come back?

iluvmyVersa08

frankoV wrote:Those who have had it: is this an intermittent problem?

Since its cooled down a bit I have had no problems at all.

It'll warm up in a week or two -- do I expect it to come back?
For me, it happened a few times when the car was new. My dad noticed it when he drove it. He said he felt it was not turning over as quickly as a new car should. I did not really notice as I was used to drive a really old car that took a while to start.

We took it in last Fall (almost two years old) and told them to replace it; they did. Since then it starts much faster than before.

Promise Land
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

my problem came and went. Usually didn't have the pronblem when it was cold, but did if it was hot.

frankoV

update: wrote to Nissan Canada re: my unhappiness with the situation; they called back and are going to look into it further.

Anticipate that they'll . . . well, I won't say it until it happens.

bigdaddychia
Car: 2007 Versa 2006 Quest

223k Miles and no fuel pump issues. I am begining to think I have that car that was built by hand.

frankoV

update: Nissan Canada called and said I needed to take the car in to have it evaluated before anything could be discussed.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”