Replace S14 Power Window Motor

Articles, modifications, maintenance, DIY's, how-to's and general information for 240sx owners.
AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

By: cstang1968

Preliminary note:I used the FSM to leak down test the electrical system to figure out is was in fact the motor that needs replacing. BF-23 is the page in the FSM where the test is located and you will need a DMM.

Door panel removal:

First remove the 3 screws at the bottom of the door panel, the 1 screw holding the entire power window switch assembly so the door panel there may be a plasic cover over the screw, the 1 screw holding the plastic cover over the inside door handle and remove the plastic cover.

Next unhook the plug that is connected to the window switch panel and slide the wires into the door as to not get caught when you pull the panel off. Now pull at the bottom of the panel away from the door, there will be 2-3 plastic plugs that will pop out. Finally lift the panel vertically off the door.

Getting to the motor:

I found it easier to get to the nut holding the window glass to the track assembly as well as getting a hand on the whole assembly by removing the speaker assembly which is held on by 4 screws. I also removed the arm rest support (u shaped stamped steel) that is held by 2 10mm bolts.

Now my window was stuck in the up position so i removed the 4 zinc plated (gold-colored) 10 mm bolts holding the track assembly to the stamped steel door (this will allow the window to go down to gain access to the 2 nuts holding the window to the glass) as well as the 2 10 mm nuts that hold the slide mechanism (the nut on the right is adjustable so mark where is was screwed in so that your window is aligned the same as before or adjust as needed on reinstallation). Also, it would be a good idea to get help from someone to hold the window up and move it up and down as need be.

Next I removed the 2 10 mm nut that holds the glass to the tracks. Now the one on the right proved to be difficult, so hold the top of the glass very low (about 3" up from the bottom of the sill) so that you can get the nut through one of the circular access holes in the stamped steel door panel. Next fold up the tracks and remove them, then slowly lower the glass down and let it rest in the door cavity.

Old motor removal and new installation:

The motor is only held by 3 machine phillips head screws. Now this is very important. The motor is tensioned by a wound spring so when you remove the old motor the track teeth will move a few teeth. The first attempt i made I didn't pay any attention to this and found out that i could not get the 4 10mm bolts back into place. So when you go to screw the new motor in place push the bar with the teeth up so that the gear on the motor is engaging somewhere in the middle of the teeth on the track.

Screw in all 3 machine screws tightly and reinstall. I regreased the tracks while they were out so now my window goes up very smoothly. Now reinstall everything hooking the window glass to the tracks first (you will need a helper again to hold the window).

Now this whole operation took me a little over 45 mins even after having to remove the thing a second time and readjust the teeth.

Return to “240sx Articles”