Removing unnecessary coolant hoses from KA24DE, which must be kept?

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
Matej

Currently I am in the process of removing and/or plugging whatever I can from the vicinity of the intake manifold. Since my car does not have a heater core installed, I want to remove all the extra coolant hoses as well. However, there a few I am not sure about.

Here I marked the ones I do not know if I can plug. My marks are the yellow ones, please ignore any others. Sorry, the pictures are not mine.

#1Normally this hose would go to the heater core, but since I do not have the heater core, I have been running it looped into the hose labeled #4. Is it alright to just plug it off where it comes out of the block, or would it be necessary to loop into something else if I remove hose #4?

#2This hose runs from where the upper radiator hose enters the top of the intake manifold straight to the back of the water neck. What does it do? It seems that this hose is either very pointless, or very important. Can I remove it and plug both ends, or is it necessary to keep?

#3Alright to plug, or should something be looped into it?

#4Please see #1.

Thank you for any information.

Chris28
Car: 92 s13 KA-T

Here's a pic of an SR coolant setup. Coolant setup is similar, not sure if this helps or not.

Matej

Can anyone tell me what would happen if I removed all of those hoses and plugged the outlets? Just curious.

liquid_cool
Car: 1990 240sx ka24de-T swap 8.6:1cr ,duelsprings ,ti retainers,supertech pistons,K1 H-beems balanced internals ect ect.

Matej wrote:Can anyone tell me what would happen if I removed all of those hoses and plugged the outlets? Just curious.
you would have a cleaner looking engine bay is all...i bypassed all that crap myself...

#1.) i bypassed that hose by using it for my sending unit for my temp gauge..

#2.) where you have this #2.) i used a expanding freeze plug to block it off..i allso made a block off plate for the smaller hose barb next to it that goes to the throttle area...

hope that gives ya some idea's..good luck

Matej

Thank you!When you say you bypassed #1, does that mean it ends at your temperature gauge, or is it looped back to the radiator after the gauge? Just curious, because I was told that #1 should be looped to #3, or at least somewhere back in the system, otherwise the motor will overheat.Have you had any problems with running your motor like that, and without hose #2?

Razi
Car: Moo

I think he means you should loop #1 and #3 together so coolant can circulate through those areas and not trap any air bubbles.

And if you were running a thermostat, I should route #2 to the original place so the thermostat can get hot water and open up.If not, you probably can plug it up like LiquidCool said.

Also, I think #3 goes to #4 via a pipe on the lower intake manifold.

Matej

Alright, sounds good. I will loop #1 to #3, and I will keep #2 since I am using a thermostat.Thank you.

jt15833
Car: 95' 240SX

doesnt #1 go to the heater core?

Matej

Yes, but my heater core is removed.

jt15833
Car: 95' 240SX

you'll have to use a hose adaptor for #1 to #3 because of the ID difference right

Matej

Sorry to top this thread from the dead, but can anyone confirm whether #1 really is necessary or not?

The only reason I would see #1 being looped into #3 as necessary, instead of plugging them, is if the coolant passage in the engine block is not wide enough. That way the waterpump would be pumping more coolant than can flow through the block. Which might cause leaks and/or overheating. Thus #1 being necessary for relieving the excess coolant being pumped.

However, that is just my theory. I am not sure if the coolant passage actually is too narrow or not.

lbreevesii
Car: S13 hatch LeMons project - Kaputzen!
BMW E30

Dunno if this helps, but I got rid of ALL of it. Just plugged it all.

Granted i've only driven 30 some odd miles so far, but its been perfect.

gumby74

Since you are not running the heater core, determine the outlet source ( I think it would be the large nipple on the rear most part of the block) turn it forward and loop it into the return nipple. Remember you want to maintain coolant circulation. All of the coolant nipples that go to and from the throttle body can be shaved/plugged, but the outlets on the thermostat housing need to be looped into each other or securely plugged.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”