Removing the standard rear view mirror

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Jerry98vert
Car: 08 Rogue 98 Cobra

I just got the homelink rear view mirror and trying to figure out how to remove the old one, I found this don't know if this comment is the same for the rogue, thanks.

Here's another possibility: I just finished wrestling with removing the button from a Nissan Xterra rearview mirror. It has the wedge style button (beveled edges), rather than the channel style. At the bottom of the button I could see a small tab of spring steel. No matter what I did to the tab it wouldn't release the button. Finally, I took an old hack saw blade (you could probably use anything long and flat like that) and slid it in between the tab and the button from the bottom. Once you get in about .75" you'll bump up against the spring tab holding the button in. Push further against the spring with your hack saw blade and at the same time pull the mirror off the button. That's it! Once you get it off you see how simply it was being held on. Hope this saves someone else the time I wasted on this...

joshjv
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD

Check out the 'mirror' section of the service manual, page 18:http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Rogue/2009/MIR.pdf

sounds like your description is about the same..

Jerry98vert

Thanks I was trying to push down on the tap and wouldn't move, has anybody removed there rear view mirror? Any tricks that I am missing, thanks.

Eugor

I did this a couple of weeks ago. Originally, I thought that you needed to stick something in the slot at the bottom of the bracket holding the mirror. I finally realized that the slot was just clearance for the tab that needs to be pushed up to release the mirror. After trying to pry the tab with a screw driver, I finally just pushed the tab up with the end of my finger. Here's a picture that may help you see what needs to be done.

Jerry98vert

Eugor wrote:I did this a couple of weeks ago. Originally, I thought that you needed to stick something in the slot at the bottom of the bracket holding the mirror. I finally realized that the slot was just clearance for the tab that needs to be pushed up to release the mirror. After trying to pry the tab with a screw driver, I finally just pushed the tab up with the end of my finger. Here's a picture that may help you see what needs to be done.
Thank you so much for the picture, so let see if I got this right. The mirror is on the windshield so you push the tab down towards the floor with a screw driver and push up towards the head liner with the mirror? I have pushed down towards the floor on the tab and it seems it dosen't want to move.

Jerry98vert

Thanks to Eugor, it came out!!!! All I did was use my finger and push down toward the floor on the Tab and I pushed on the mirror to the headliner and it came out, nice.

Now have to wire the Homelink to the dome lights, I have a moonroof with the access panel behind the drivers sun visor.

Eugor

I guess up and down become subjective when you're dealing with a beveled tab on a sloped windshield. For anyone that is unclear, you need to push the tab away from the windshield, and toward the slot.

Jerry, I also took the dome light off (although I couldn't completely disconnect it) so that I could remove the short harness. The other end of this harness can be disconnected from the access panel. The other tricky part was using a coat hanger to get the mirror wiring from the access panel to the windshield. It can be done, but it may take a couple of tries.

Good luck. I really like the auto-dimming. Now I wish that the side mirrors dimmed.

Jerry98vert

Eugor per this post by mstrmstr is this how you wired yours also did you disconnect the battery, thanks again:

WIRING HELP.. if you have a Moonroof and the little access panel behind the driver sunshade you are in luck

There is a connector there with the right wiring and its a fidget/fumble to hook up. I found it way ez when I just dropped the map light assy(clips are ez to see- just depress with small screwdriver) This harness then can be completely removed to work on on the bench.

Wiring-1.Battery HOT Harness color is red..connect to Gentexyellow.2.Ignition switchedharness color is pink.. connect to Gentexred3. Ground Black/black.

Don't connect RED to RED.. its Wrong,.

The mirror draws under 1A when operating and these feeds are well fuzed and will not cause any electrical problems...IMHO

Eugor

Yes, you definitely want to disconnect the battery. I basically used the same procedure. I don't think the wire colors on my mirror were as described, but I used a 12 volt power source to verify which was which and a voltmeter to check the wires on the car.

Jerry98vert

So I wired the mirror as descried and it worked perfect, didn't even disconnect the battery. I took the harness that I tapped into at my house this was so easy and now I have a homelink, total time first try to remove the rear view mirror 20 minutes, 2nd try 5 minutes 15 minutes to take the car apart and 20 minutes to put the wire through the headliner and put everything back together, Total 1 hour if know it can be done in 20 minutes this is really easy.

lboneal

Just bought a new Rogue and joined Nico. Read the posts on removing autodimming standard mirror from Rogue SL with moonroof in order to install new homelink/compass mirror. Can't seem to find anything about how to remove the old standard mirror CABLE. It feels to me like it is firmly anchored somewhere back in the headliner. Dropped the dual map light module, but I can't see or access the old mirror cable from that hole. How did anyone get that old mirror cable out of there, let alone get a new cable down the same path? Many thanks.

epmeyer50
Car: '91 240sx
'02 Pathfinder
'09 370Z
'09 G37S
'10 Rogue SL FWD

Don't remove the autodimming mirror cable at all. Splice the new mirror cable into it with in-line crimps in the space between the mirror and the headliner. Will take about 5 minutes and you're done.

lboneal

Thanks for replying. The old mirror cable has only 2 wires, though--ignition batt + and grd. The new mirror cable has 3 wires. The homelink circuit on the new mirror uses batt +, and grd. so you can open/close the garage door for example without the ignition on. The compass is powered only when the ignition is on, so it uses the ignition batt +. Previous posters say you can access all 3 wires from the short cable that runs from the driver's sun shield access panel to the connector block accessible from the twin map light module hole in the head liner. That I understand; but I can't figure out how to remove the original mirror cable to make room for the new 3-wire cable running from the spliced short cable down to the new homelink/compass mirror. Thanks!

lboneal

Figured this out on my own if anyone else is ever interested in installing a homelink/compass mirror in a 2010 Rogue SL. I cut the original 2-wire cable to the old autom-dim mirror about 6 in. from the connector end leaving the connector attached to the mirror. I then taped over the cut end of the headliner cable and tucked it up under the head liner, pulling the wires away from the original slot in the headliner. There's no way you can pull that old cable out as far as I can see. (tip: I took a 6" x 1/2" piece of thin scrap sheet metal, bent it at a right angle 3/8" from end and used it to pull down the headliner edge by the windshield) I didn't take out the short cable running between the access port behind the drivers sunshield and the dual map light port. I couldn't figure out how to get those connectors parted. It's very easy to access the cable behind the sunshield anyway. I used a coathanger wire to pull the new 3-wire cable from the front of the headliner straight up through the sunshield access port. I then stuffed the cable under the headliner and ran it over to the slot above the mirror and down to mirror. Spliced the wires per instructions already posted. Works great! Anyone know if there's a market for the old auto-dim mirror?

Andybond
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35

Hi guys, I bought a Homelink mirror with compass, which came off the wrecked 08 Rogue. The mirror came w/o any harnesses, so I went to our local dealer and bought the connector which has all 10 BLACK wires (it's a 10 pin connector) sticking out of it. Anyone have a pin-out diagram for 10 pin connector? Thanks!

...Ok found it. If anyone is interested, I have the installation manual/wiring diagram in PDF.

epmeyer50
Car: '91 240sx
'02 Pathfinder
'09 370Z
'09 G37S
'10 Rogue SL FWD

lboneal wrote:Thanks for replying. The old mirror cable has only 2 wires, though--ignition batt + and grd. The new mirror cable has 3 wires. The homelink circuit on the new mirror uses batt +, and grd. so you can open/close the garage door for example without the ignition on. The compass is powered only when the ignition is on, so it uses the ignition batt +. Previous posters say you can access all 3 wires from the short cable that runs from the driver's sun shield access panel to the connector block accessible from the twin map light module hole in the head liner. That I understand; but I can't figure out how to remove the original mirror cable to make room for the new 3-wire cable running from the spliced short cable down to the new homelink/compass mirror. Thanks!
I guess its too late now, but if you get the autodimming/homelink/compass mirror kit for the '08-'10 Altima, it only has two wires in the cable, the third wire comes jumpered in the connector on the mirror. If you have that mirror, then the quick splice is definitely the way to go. Thats what I did, works fine.

brianschen
Car: bmw

Jerry98vert wrote:I just got the homelink rear view mirror and trying to figure out how to remove the old one, I found this don't know if this comment is the same for the rogue, thanks.

Here's another possibility: I just finished wrestling with removing the button from a Nissan Xterra rearview mirror. It has the wedge style button (beveled edges), rather than the channel style. At the bottom of the button I could see a small tab of spring steel. No matter what I did to the tab it wouldn't release the button. Finally, I took an old hack saw blade (you could probably use anything long and flat like that) and slid it in between the tab and the button from the bottom. Once you get in about .75" you'll bump up against the spring tab holding the button in. Push further against the spring with your hack saw blade and at the same time pull the mirror off the button. That's it! Once you get it off you see how simply it was being held on. Hope this saves someone else the time I wasted on this...
Thanks a lot ! if you can post some photo, it's perfect ! :rotfl

lurlette

Hi Guys And thanks for all the instructions,very informative,but can you guys please advise those of us that want to install the mirror with homelink and compass and don`t know where to get them,how can we purchase them other than e-bay,and which one is the better one and the model number,they are so much different kinds,so its kind of hard to choose,and of course the cheapest.Thanks.

Kat T
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV

Our daughter has a 2016 Rogue SV. It has the standard bottom of the line mirror. it broke on Friday and we are trying to figure out how to remove the part that is attached to the windshield. The mirror and the mount is off but it's the part that was attached to the window that broke. Is it attached by adhesive? If so, how do we go about getting it off? Is it possible to just purchase this part or is Nissan going to try to sell us the whole thing, which isn't necessary. TIA

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Kat T wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:16 pm
Our daughter has a 2016 Rogue SV. It has the standard bottom of the line mirror. it broke on Friday and we are trying to figure out how to remove the part that is attached to the windshield. The mirror and the mount is off but it's the part that was attached to the window that broke. Is it attached by adhesive? If so, how do we go about getting it off? Is it possible to just purchase this part or is Nissan going to try to sell us the whole thing, which isn't necessary. TIA

You could ask the parts department at your local Nissan dealership if they can order just the button/bracket. Dorman makes a replacement kit with an assortment of types, of which one might work (no guarantee). It's available at Advance Auto Parts for about six dollars.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dor ... lsrc=aw.ds

Basic review mirrors are relatively inexpensive ($15 or less), and can be found at any car parts supply store, including Walmart.
Last edited by Rogue One on Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited

Kat T
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV

Thank you so much. We will try this tonight when she gets home from work.

Return to “Rogue Forum”