Removing / Replacing Power Steering Pump

Articles, modifications, maintenance, DIY's, how-to's and general information for 240sx owners.
AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Removing / replacing power steering pump

By: babowc

List Of Materials/Tools requiredSocket wrench14mm socket12mm socket15/16 or 26(??mm wrenchSocket extensions and adapters.. long the better!Rubber mallet/hammer (i didnt have a rubber mallet )Screwdriver (positive +)Low-profile bucket to put under the car, incase of spills (oil pans?)1 or 2 bottles of ATF fluid, Mercon Dexron III.

How To

Place the pan underneat the driver's side wheel/where the PS pump sits.

Remove intake assembly, undo all spark plug wires, and remove all harness out of harm's (ps fluid's) way.

Removing the emissions box, oil dipstick and the ex. mani heatshield gives you A LOT more room to work with!

1. using the 15/16 or 26mm wrench, unbolt the main nut connected to the PS pump.

Unless you are re-doing the PS High Pressure Hose, like I did, no need to unbolt it at the banjo fitting. I used a home-made straight stainless-steel-braided line from the pump back to the hardline leading to the PS Rack.

2. un-do the bottom hose using a + screwdriver and point the rubber hose upwards so the PS fluid (ATF fluid) doesnt spill everywhere.

*point both fittings upwards so they dont leak ps fluid everywhere!*

3. using the 14mm socket, start unbolting the belt tensioner for the PS pump and waterpump. un-do the 14mm bolt until the belt is able to be taken off.

4. start taking off the bottom tensioner-holder thing. (careful, there is a washer inbetween the pump, dont lose it.)

*after you take it all off, it should look like this*

5. rotate the PS pump pulley until you have access to the main bolt holding the pump to the bracket.

6. using 14mm socket, unbolt the main bolt holding the ps pump up.

7. pull on the pump and it should slide right out!

That is all for removing the PS pump, pat yourself on the back!

To Replace the PS pump

1. Check to see if your pump is for the correct application!!! I cannot stress this enough, because I burst my PS high pressure hose (thus the ss braided lines) because I used a S14 pump which creates about 1300 psi, compared to the 1100 psi that the S13 PS pump creates!!!

Left pump is the S13 PS pump, the two bolts should have a bracket on it, but i took mine off.

Only differences are that the S13 PS pump has the brackets and 2 Bolts holding it, but the S14 PS pump does not.

2. Locate where the PS pump was held on to the bracket. You will see a washer-type thing that pushes the pump against the bracket as the main bolt is being screwed in.

Use the hammer and tap it back out, hitting the inside to make it closer to the bracket.

3. Take the steps backwards from removing the PS pump.

4. when installing the belt tensioner, dont forget to put the washer in between the tensioner assembly.

5. re-connect the rubber hose from the PS reservior first, then re-connect the 15/16 bolt onto the PS pump.

Find yourself a Torque Wrench and tighten to correct ft/lbs ~65ft/lbs

HAND TIGHTEN FIRST!!! MAKE SURE YOU DONT CROSSTHREAD, as it is VERY easy to do so.

6. replace the belt connecting to the Waterpump, PS pump, and the Crank Pulley and tighten the bottom part of the tensioner first and start tightening the long bolt for the tensioner.

Tighten until the belt is firm. You can check the tightness by pushing down on the belt moderately hard and give it movement about .5 in up and down.

Reinstall everything eles and take your car out for a test drive. Try to go from lock to lock to check for any leaks.

Return to “240sx Articles”