Removing Nerf bars/Running Boards

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
exvin
Car: 2000 Nissan Pathfinder

Hey All,

I am thinking of removing my rotting nerf bars from my pathy and I was wondering how long did it take you guys to do and if you needed anything extra to get the job done, like a heat gun/torch/lotsa WD40?

Thanks

EXVIN

buckeye3d
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4

Breaker bar. Wrench. Muscle.

KyooX4
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 4wd

All I used was a socket and a ratchet. It took maybe half an hour. I'm not sure about bolt locations on the pathfinder, but on my Q there was one location (on either side) towards the rear that was in a position that was a bit of a pain to contort to.

abadlovesong
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE

used a socket wrench, either a 12 or 13 mm socket, and extension. that's all. make sure to remove the front and rear bolts first. then tackle the middle bolts. That way the weight of the bar can be supported by the middle bolts without contorting the bar, and potentially breaking it.

GRNMACHINE
Car: 1999.5 Pathfinder SE 4x4

Maybe took an hour at the most. Out of all the rusted/snapped off bolts these held up fine. I did not need a breaker bar at all. Just a decent socket set. The bolts are all the same size and very easy to get to on the Path. You can always spray the bolts down with PB Blaster for a few days before you take them off (or a few hours). Path is mostly garage kept and I usually spray the undercarriage a few times a year with WD40 etc, that may have helped with the bolts. One word of basic caution, lots of rust particles etc will fall once the bars are moved etc, make sure you are wearing eye protection if you are working underneath them.

Empty V
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1982 Corvette C3 Shark

Well I just dropped mine in about 15min total. I started with a manual wrachet and switched to an air wrachet + 8" extension after the 1st bolt. My bolts were all 12mm and came off like butter, but I don't have any rust to contend with. BTW thanks for the tip on removing the center bolts last, great idea.

Billy

damond
Car: 1998 QX4

So do the aftermarket bars bolt on at the existing mounting points as the OE running boards?

Does anyone have more pics? I'm surprised there aren't that many pics of aftermarket nerf bars and boards.

samhutto
Car: 1998 Infiniti QX4

Bump.
I would love to see pics (before and after would be nice).
I am interested in taking mine off my QX4.

Alfredo24.pr
Car: 2002 NISMO Turbo Pathfinder LE

BEFORE

AFTER

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”