removing factory crossbars

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

About to make my trip across the desert and although the music will probably be so loud and drown out the wind-noise, I wonder if I would notice any difference if I took the crossbars OFF for the road trip? I am sure the music will be quiet some of the time...like between songs!

Has anyone removed their crossbars?

Does it make a huge difference in wind-noise?? (will be driving an average of 70-85 MPH for almost 7 hrs)

Does it really affect gas mileage??

I think it looks MUCH BETTER with the crossbars and they would be going back on as soon as I got home.

Thanks!
;)

zarar
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

EDIT: Sorry totally misread the topic =|
Last edited by zarar on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

This is about the crossbars and not the rails...

I would be leaving the rails alone.... Just removing the removable crossbars for the road trip since I don't need to put anything on the roof....

btw - I get 19-20 MPG in city WITH crossbars. I am expecting 25+ on the trip and would love it if I could bump that up to 26-27!

zarar
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

I drive mixed but mostly stop and go traffic. On long drives I average 70-85mph I have managed to get 28mpg (straight road with cruise control or unless the computer in the car is wrong lol), its been a while though. For a better answer to your original question. I still wouldn't think it would affect mpg that much unless the crossbars weighed more than 25lbs (or at least weighed less to nothing on my Mercedes ML).

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

Thanks for the input. I wasn't even thinking about the weight factor, just the wind-drag / resistance factor. I guess they all play a part!

:)

meanie
Car: G37, EX35

I have been wondering the same thing and Plan to take them off in the fall to see What effect it has on MPG and noise. If yoU give it a try let us know how the experiMent turns out.

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

I think I will give it a try and let you know...

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

I just took them off and it probably took less than 60 seconds... have a couple freeway errands to run today so will know tonight whether there is a real noise difference or not.

oh, and they are super light too. like a feather.

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

I honestly could not tell any noise difference...

Back on they go!

box_of_lego
Car: EX35

I was going to say hey ... its eight screws ! try it ! but I won't now

Rex
Car: None

Yakima & Thule make both fairings(very visible) & slip covers (much less visible) that are supposed to help with noise, but those are aimed at the larger round & square bars. Flatter "oval" bars should be less noisy on their own.

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

Rex, I think you are right. They are definately flatter and angled in such a position that it must really reduce any possible wind noise. Good engineering.

EX-KAT-35
Car: EX35, V70R, Civic

XIS wrote:I just took them off and it probably took less than 60 seconds... have a couple freeway errands to run today so will know tonight whether there is a real noise difference or not.

oh, and they are super light too. like a feather.

Thanks for the info XIS some good guinea pigging u've done there :dblthumb:

That oughta silence the roof rack noise hypothesis. I personally think its the rear view mirrors They are so big BUT useful too - the moment I look in there to back up they always pay for themselves as to whatever noise they might be putting out at speed.

Tasman
Car: 2011 EX35 - All Options

I couldn't see how the crossbars would affect mileage at all. The dealer had the cross bars install on my vehicle but was not charged for them. The first thing I did when I got home was to remove them, wrap them up in plastic and stored in the attic so could not tell if they had an impact on milage or noise. I never did notice the noise issue but that may be because I always have my windows up (?) and kept the sat radio on. My wife also has a very pleasing voice that would drown out any unpleasant wind noise.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”