Removable Roof Racks (SL)

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
bcark

I'm wondering if the SL roofracks are easily removable. I know with Subarus you can just pop the bars off. I have a short garage and will need them off to get the car inside. I would plan to leave them off unless I take a long trip and need them.

I'm referring to the racks that run lengthwise and are standard on the SL, not the cross-bars that are optional.

Thanks.

philipa_240sx

No, the roof rails (front to back) are not easily removable. They are bolted through the roof. You may also need to remove the headliner to get at the nuts from the inside. Once removed you are faced with several exposed bolt holes that may need to be sealed to prevent water from coming in the vehicle.

According to Nissan's specs, the SL models with roof racks/rails are only 1" taller than the roof rail equipped models:

With roof rack/rail: 66.3"Without roof rack/rail: 65.3"

*Note: Crossbars may add to the overall height as they curve upwards.

At a scant 5'-6", the Rogue isn't that tall of a vehicle. I have never encountered height clearance issues with my Rogue in various parking garages, drive thru's etc. My garage door is only 7ft tall and there is loads of clearance.

MadOx75
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust
Hertz/Audison Speakers & Amps

I'm going to revive an old thread, because I have a follow up question to this... Are the silver factory roof rails physically attached to that black strip that runs front to back on the roof of the car, and then that black strip is whats bolted to the roof? Or do the roof rails just go through that piece and bolt directly to the roof? I was at the dealer getting my oil changed, and was doing some pulling and poking around on the black strip on a Rogue Krom, trying to figure out how I could possibly swap these off. I'm not looking to ever put them back on, so this would be a permanent switch...

philipa_240sx

MadOx75 wrote:Or do the roof rails just go through that piece and bolt directly to the roof?
The bolts go completely through the roof. The black trim pieces are just for decoration to hide the roof seam.

MadOx75
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust
Hertz/Audison Speakers & Amps

Thanks for posting the graphic Phillip, that definitely put it all in perspective. I'll really have to think about whether its worth it to remove the headliner to get the pieces out, replacing the roof side moulding, and sealing up the holes just to get rid of the roof rails...

YSL926
Car: Nissan Rogue 2011 S AWD

I'm trying to buy a pair of roof rack from local shop and today he just told me he does not have roof side molding with the two opening...I guess I have to cut the opening myself..

J-wood
Car: 2011 Nissan rogue s

if you get rid of your roof racks let me know

Return to “Rogue Forum”