Remote start

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
prelude3174
Car: Nissan Altima Coupe 08

Hey all,

I was wondering if it was possible to have a remote start installed that will use the original key fob. I want installation to be as clean and unnoticeable as possible. Does anyone have this on their Coupe? Also, how much would something like this cost with installation?

prelude3174

Sorry, did a search and found some things for the 07 sedan...so it is possible, I still would like to know any more details possible if anyone here has this installed or has looked into it...

generic808
Car: 08 Infiniti G35S
10 Infiniti EX35

I don't think anyone here has done this. Why don't you be our guinea pig and try it

Serkle K
Car: 1996 Altima - A/C enthusiast

I talked to my buddy that works at a really good stereo shop out here... he said it is possible, and you can have it all linked to the oem key fob and you can just get in and drive... then he said it's also about a 5 hour install job... but it is very possible... I should mention that they have only done it on the '07 Sedan, but all things considered, it should be fairly the same on the coupe... at least thats what he said about it.

AltimaOnDubz07
Car: 2007 nissan altima

It can be done

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

Of course anything is possible, but how practical would it be to have it done with a 5 hour labor charge You're looking at $300+ just for the installation if you go at the standard labor rate

SpankingClean
Car: 2002 Lexus GS300 Sport Design

It is no problem it can be done. A good installation shop that doen't require you to give up a key will talke around 5 or so hours to do it. You would easily be looking at about $600 for the job complete. We have done these cars before. No picnic but NOT too difficult. Just takes some time and you canot really rush it. Good luck... find a shop that had done them before and you should be good.

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

IDK why no one can do it themselves.. its simple enough to reprogram a fob with some ebay tools lol

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

LongBeachCoupe wrote:IDK why no one can do it themselves.. its simple enough to reprogram a fob with some ebay tools lol

LBC, you should go ahead and do it. Take pics and make an article *hint hint*

LongBeachCoupe
2005 Lexus RX

i meant someone... ELSE... lol... atleast someone who knows more than me... if it were a structured finance transaction... or a LBO... id be the first to take a crack at it... ranting...

rushman
Car: '07 Altima 3.5SL Sedan

Not sure if anyone is still interested, but I just had remote start installed in my '07 3.5SL Sedan. $399 installed, no extra key needed. They program an aftermarket part and it works with both of my factory remotes. Lock-Unlock-Lock and bamn, the car starts.

Better than freezing my *** off in the mornin...

razah9

I got quoted 'about $380' w a module for my coupe. Extra key thingy...

prelude3174

rushman wrote:Not sure if anyone is still interested, but I just had remote start installed in my '07 3.5SL Sedan. $399 installed, no extra key needed. They program an aftermarket part and it works with both of my factory remotes. Lock-Unlock-Lock and bamn, the car starts.

Better than freezing my *** off in the mornin...
What is the contact information for your shop? Maybe I can have my shop talk to yours and they will be able to do the same thing.

Do you know any details on what aftermarket parts are required, etc...?

rushman

The shop was SoundTrax on Long Island. (631) 588-8435

It's an Audiovox R/S and I belive he used this bus kit:

http://bypasskits.fortinautora...-sl2i/

LongBeachCoupe
2005 Lexus RX

Long island stinks... they want an arm and a leg for an install

rushman

Being from Long Beach, I assume you are speaking from experience?

Honstely, I didn't think $399 installed was all that bad. Then again, the labor is probably 50% of that figure.

LongBeachCoupe
2005 Lexus RX

I have asked prices of things... i haven't come across skilled installers... or rather an installer that made me understand he isnt just another guy who can wire it...

The price is always high... I mean.. a remote starter for $400? i dont think thats a good deal, but then again, i dont have an alternative... So what happens is that i usually dont get it...

Do you have a good/cheap paint shop for when i get my eyelids and wing?

rushman

Can't say I know any good paint shops...I will ask around.

rjdmmfl1
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe, Radiant Silver, 3.5SE, Premium Package, VDC

Hey folks, a couple things to add...

1. there's a shop here in San Diego that charges 500 for a top of the line aftermarket remote start kit. And that price includes the price of the kit.

2. I read earlier on this forum (using the search button at the top, not to the top right) that the NIssan dealer car program the fob to do the remote start. Just checked, the price at the dealership (as an installed option) is $700... yikes... that $400 is starting to sound a hell of a lot better

Extra FYI stuff:*A negative about programming the fob for remote start is that you have to be pretty close to use it. So if its raining/snowing outside, and you're oustide of the operating radius, then you're a** out of luck.

*A negative regarding aftermarket kits is that you don't start the car with only your fob,which is the goal of many folks here. Thus requiring use of the aftermarket remote. So, it's a catch 22!

For me, I would want the aftermarket remote with a 1 mile range so that I can start, stop the car from inside my house, or across the parking lot outside of the snow, rain, or heat (which is the main reasons folks get remote starts). In addition, with the aftermarket remote, you get immediate confirmation that you actually started the car, and you get paged when someone is trying to break into your car! With all of my mods, those are things that are very valuable to me. Hope this info helps someone, meanwhile, search the old thread about remote starts and retaining your factory fob, but keep the above in mind!
Modified by rjdmmfl1 at 4:30 PM 12/11/2007

rushman

The kit I had installed ($399 + tax, was everything) does not have the two-way features you speak of, nor will it page or call me when someone is breaking in. Then again, if someone is going to break into the car to try to steal it, they will steal it whether it's running or not.

My kit works with the factory fob - lock-unlock-lock is the sequence to activate remote start (also ensures doors are locked). The break lights flash (in addition to the regular signal blink) when remote start is activated.

I don't know about a 1-mile range, but I can start my car from the office window with the car at the other end of the parking log.

rjdmmfl1

rushman wrote:The kit I had installed ($399 + tax, was everything) does not have the two-way features you speak of, nor will it page or call me when someone is breaking in. Then again, if someone is going to break into the car to try to steal it, they will steal it whether it's running or not.

My kit works with the factory fob - lock-unlock-lock is the sequence to activate remote start (also ensures doors are locked). The break lights flash (in addition to the regular signal blink) when remote start is activated.

I don't know about a 1-mile range, but I can start my car from the office window with the car at the other end of the parking log.
I understand everything you're saying... In addition to the above stated benefits, With some of them, you can actually go to a website and/or call a phone number, and start your car that way. In addition, the purpose of the two way is to verify that the car has started when you don't have clear view of the car to see the parking brakes flash. It's good to see hear that the range isn't as limited as one would think with the factory key fob... I thought it was only suppose to be like 10 meters...

One last question, is there anyone here that has an aftermarket remote start, didn't have to lose a key fob, and can still walk up to the car with the alarm on, and press the button to unlock/ unarm the car. That is the setup I'm looking for! Thanks in advance for your help!

rushman

i.e. an alarm system that disengages when you unlock the doors w/ the door push-button?

rjdmmfl1

rushman wrote:i.e. an alarm system that disengages when you unlock the doors w/ the door push-button?
Yes, exactly... anyone have their system setup that way?

tomce'
Car: 2010 Altima Coupe 2.5S, ALERT RED

We tried ABC Warehouse, a chain in Mi. and they failed.

razah9

Getting an audiovox remote starter, think the range on it'sthingy must be WAY more than the key fob don't u think?And it's key thing confirms it turned on I think.

LongBeachCoupe
2005 Lexus RX

I was thinking about an aftermarket autostart... one with 2 fobs... leave one at home.. one in office... for when i need it... i dont need to carry it around... and its a lot cheaper than the $400 install...

marbee
Car: nissan altima coupe

d
rushman wrote:The kit I had installed ($399 + tax, was everything) does not have the two-way features you speak of, nor will it page or call me when someone is breaking in. Then again, if someone is going to break into the car to try to steal it, they will steal it whether it's running or not.

did you get this done at the dealership and will it work with a manual transmission.

OneEyedDragon
Car: 2007 Altima

My salesman showed me how to remote start my 2007 Altima when I purchased it. I guess it had an aftermarket remote start set up. I have forgotten the button sequence and the lock-unlock-Lock does not work for me.

I remember he mentioned pushing the lock or the unlock button a few times then holding the trunk key or something like that. I asked him about it but he does not remember. Is there a way to reprogram the sequence or find out what the sequence is? Also, where would the remote start be located? I would like to take a look at it and see what make and model it is.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

Just get a Pursuit remote starter, they work great and are long range. The starter fob is small and will not be a burden to carry/attach to your existing key chain. http://www.adventproducts.com/remotesta ... u=PRO9056C

spoofee
Car: Nissan Altima

Definitely possible. Many aftermarket options on this.

Return to “Altima General Discussions”