Release cable for fuel door and trunk

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
skylndrftr
Car: 07 Versa S / 2010 Ariel Atom (pending...)

somehow somethign in the release mechanism for the fuel door and hatch (240sx 90 hatch) have stopped working i have kind of glanced at it and have gotten around it by prying open the fuel door and "adjusting the catch mechanism" but what/where do you thin kthis is, I figure its the little handle by the drivers seat, do i just need to reattatch somethign or new parts is this a regular problem?

PMan_S13
Car: Building car -> breaking car -> fixing car -> start over

This happened on my '91 too a long time ago.

I guess I always wondered if I would be happier just using my keys to pry it open, or spending possibly countless hours fighting with that darn latch and then being able to use my precious release flipper.

I still use my keys to this day at the gas station

Haha, I guess that's more of a virtue than an answer. Sorry :P

s13sr20chris
Car: nissans

pull out drivers seat and pull up the carpet. look to see if cable is good at the lever thing. if it is, then you are in for some work. you will want to remove the cable entirely and check it on a bench.

navysnail
Car: 1990 240sx fastback

that exact same thing happened to my friends 240, he uses his keys too, but for a temporary fix untill you do what chris sugested, bend the inside of the fuel door were it latches in a little so you dont have to pry so hard as to scratch the paint

skylndrftr
Car: 07 Versa S / 2010 Ariel Atom (pending...)

ok so i was figuring it would require some interior diassembly thanks chris, i don't care about the fuel door as much as the rear hatch not opening

Altiman94
Car: Paintball, cars, outdoor sports

mine does the same thing. I've never really even tried to fix this

MistyEyes
Car: 1992 Nissan 240SX Convrtable

I know this is probably too late, but I had similar problems with my fuel door and trunk....The little spring type piece of metal in the fuel door was bent too far in, so I sprung it out so it would pop the door open when I pushed the release.......also the trunk latch on mine has a safety....sort of like a childproof switch in the center just inside the trunk....you flip it and the drivers door latch won't let the trunk open ( they did this so anytime you leave the top down, anyone passing by would not be able to use the lever to access the trunk.....) sometimes I have to flip it again in between times....Possibly I need to oil it.....or change a spring.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”