Registering R32 in Oregon

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
whitetiger777
Car: 1990 R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R

Been doing a lot of reading and it seems like there should be a data base for the 49 friendly states and maybe even California for registering these R32's. Like what you had to go through and even branches and people you talked to to get the car titled. That way when walking in you get someone who's done this before and will eliminate a lot of confusion on both sides. For me I'm going to try and register mine in Oregon when I get one, has anyone does this yet? If so which branch and who did you talk to?

If no one has, I recently called the Oregon DMV and spent an hour talking to them. The first guy was a little confused and pushed me off to a tech. She called me back pretty quick and initially insisted the car had to meet federal standards to be registered in Oregon. I asked her about the fact that the car is 25 years old and federally exempt. We went back and forth on it for about 20 min until she saw something and asked me what year the car would be. I said 89 or 90, she responded with "Oh, that's old enough to be exempt" *Insert face palm* She then told me that everything is all good and all I would need is a title showing change in owner ship. This seems to be my hang up since, as far as I can tell, Japan doesn't use titles. However I've seen documents in Japanese that look like titles so I don't know. She also told me, since I'm getting the car in California, once I buy the car I can send a written request for temporary plates to drive the car for 29 days. That way I can drive the car up instead of having to ship it. I really wish I would have written down her name cause then I could have kept up communication and called her when I actually found a car to register.

So basically if anyone reading this has successfully registered a car in Oregon please let me know what you needed and what you did as well as who you talked to and which branches you went to. Other wise as things move forward I'll update.

RainR32
Car: R32 GT-R / 2015 STI Stage 2

whitetiger777

So I can view your profile but and not seeing a button to PM

GSX-R35
Car: 2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35
1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Grey Nismo R32

Japan doesn't have titles like the US does - they just have registration certificates that show who the owner is. When a Japanese-market car is exported that registration certificate is exchanged for an export certificate that lists the last owner of record in Japan. You'll need to show them the export certificate plus a bill of lading and/or bill of sale as proof of transfer of ownership.

I did two posts explaining the paperwork needed for registration and the difference between the registration and export certificates here on my blog:

http://23gt.blogspot.com/2015/06/buying ... rt-41.html

http://23gt.blogspot.com/2015/05/buying ... apers.html

Here's my post on tips for registering a JDM car:

http://23gt.blogspot.com/2015/05/buying ... ivers.html

whitetiger777

They said I would need to get anything in Japanese translated to english and certified translated and I'm not 100% sure who to take it to to do that. Would a Japanese teach at a college work? Would I need to go to a company that does translations???

GSX-R35
Car: 2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35
1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Grey Nismo R32

whitetiger777 wrote:They said I would need to get anything in Japanese translated to english and certified translated and I'm not 100% sure who to take it to to do that. Would a Japanese teach at a college work? Would I need to go to a company that does translations???
If you're getting a car through an export company, broker, or importer they usually provide a translated copy of the export certificate - that's really the only Japanese paperwork you should need. If you're importing it yourself then you need to find out if your DMV requires a "certified" translation because in that case you'll need to have somebody do it who can get it notarized. In my case Arizona MVD was happy with a non-certified translation but a lot of DMVs require it.

whitetiger777

Oregon DMV said it has to be certified. Does that mean that the translator has to translate it in front of a notary or has to be a notary? And I am planning on getting it from a importer. Other question, if I find another one registered in another state is just the title good enough?

RainR32

whitetiger777 wrote:Oregon DMV said it has to be certified. Does that mean that the translator has to translate it in front of a notary or has to be a notary? And I am planning on getting it from a importer. Other question, if I find another one registered in another state is just the title good enough?
If you get it from a importer they should give you everything you need to take to the DMV and if you get it registered in a other state then it should be easy to get Oregon plates, just make sure you don't live in a area that you need smog.

whitetiger777

Salem, no smog

RainR32

whitetiger777 wrote:Salem, no smog
Nice that's where I did my GT-R

whitetiger777

RainR32 wrote:
whitetiger777 wrote:Salem, no smog
Nice that's where I did my GT-R
Which DMV did you go to? Do you know which teller you worked with? Which forms did you have and did you have any issues or delays?

RainR32

I'm not sure my friend went for me. But Ken @ Vally Hill set me up with everything so I did not have to do anything but have my friend go to the dmv pay like $250 and done.
DMV told him I had more then enough paperwork . I was able to do with me having the car in So Cal, Ken just had the DMV here do the Vin Check.

Wildtraveler
Car: 2012 mazdaspeed
1989 BNR32

I used http://www.daytranslations.com/ it is a tad expensive but you have to have it. I would get it notarized as well. Here in Florida it has to be certified and notarized by a licensed translator fluent in both languages.

s2kvee
Car: 1990 Nissan Skyline

Im planning on registering my GTR in Portland / Hillsboro area... I know that area requires smog emission for registeration however is the GTR exempt from smog because of the 25yr old rule on import?... if not, any once have experienced smog in Oregon and its requirements?. any additional cats, any particular readings in for Nox or Hydro carbons? I am California based but i have family in portland...

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”