Redesigned Altima Revealed - Next Rogue Powertrain?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

The completely redesigned 2013 Altima was revealed today at the New York Auto Show - this is significant because the Rogue shares the Altima chassis and 4-cylinder engine and trans.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classifie ... 7819.story

The Altima has an entirely new chassis and body that is 80lbs lighter than the outgoing model with the use of more lightweight aluminum, the track has been widened by 1.4 inches and it has a whole host of other interesting upgrades.

The most interesting thing is the details on the powertrain. The 2.5 QR has apparently been redesigned or tweaked once again with an entirely new intake system, its 11 lbs lighter overall, and with horsepower increased to 182 and a flatter torque curve. It comes equipped with an entirely new CVT that is significantly more efficient with wider gear ratios AND is significantly quieter. Another interesting improvement is a "regenerative alternator" that operates when the vehicle is coasting, presumably capturing some of that normally wasted energy.

It is pretty much gauranteed that this will be the powertrain that we'll see in the redesigned Rogue that will likely debut next year as a 2014 model. I'm also hoping to see a small displacement turbo offered as an option in the Rogue, with the redesigned 2.5 as the base engine. No mention of exactly how significant the efficiency gains will be, but if nothing else I'd be excited to have a CVT that is much quieter, the high pitched whine seems to get worse every year on my 08 Rogue!

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kerrton wrote:The completely redesigned 2013 Altima was revealed today at the New York Auto Show - this is significant because the Rogue shares the Altima chassis and 4-cylinder engine and trans.
hate to break it to you - the rogue shares the nissan sentra chassis lol WE AREN'T EVEN THE ALTIMA! lololol :rotflmao
the high pitched whine seems to get worse every year on my 08 Rogue!
and yesterday while driving home, i noticed my tranny and its pitch A LOT higher. its almost like a dog whistle = not really noticeable, but really irritating once you pick up on it lol i was shocked yesterday how loud it got. and its only when you press the pedal

kerrton

Ha good catch, you're right I believe the Murano has shared chassis with the Altima in the past. Regardless the QR2.5 engine and CVT trans have been directly shared by the Rogue and Altima, likely that will continue but we'll have to wait until next year to know for sure.

Maybe the biggest news for some will Nissan's debut of it's new Infotainment system, this will likely affect all models in the future and be offered across the board.

Here's a better article, and it links to the official Nissan press release. They also state an efficiency of 6.2L/100km (38mpg).

http://ca.autoblog.com/2012/04/04/2013- ... #continued

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

hey i just had a brain fart....
that whistle or whine that we hear..... ARE YOU SURE ITS THE TRANNY?

im thinking since its only when im pushing the gas pedal - i wonder if its not the throttle body? some can develop a whistle or those who use a spacer.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

BINGO!
NTB08104

IF YOU CONFIRM A whistle noise coming from the engine during light acceleration, ACTIONS Unbolt but do not remove the electric throttle control actuator. Replace the actuator gasket. Reposition the actuator on the manifold and secure following the instructions in this Service Procedure. NOTE: The repair of this issue, if it should occur, is the repositioning of the actuator not the replacement of the gasket. The gasket is replaced because the actuator is being unbolted from the manifold.

kerrton

Hmmm, anything is possible, however my whine noise gets louder with higher rpms and in hotter weather, it doesn't occur under light acceleration but I'm sure it's possible. I would think some comparisons to elevated rpms while in park like I think you suggested earlier would be a good way to narrow this down a bit. I plan on doing this when the weather warms up and I have time. Thanks for the thoughts!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kerrton wrote:I would think some comparisons to elevated rpms while in park like I think you suggested earlier would be a good way to narrow this down a bit.
NOT ALWAYS. sometimes strange issues dont happen unless its under 'load'. like my bike - for a while i could rev it in neutral with no problem - but place it in 1st and it was very hesitant under load.
and i do agree that with yesterdays hot weather is when my whine got really noticeable. it actually took my attention away from my radio.

kerrton

Getting back on topic, I should have mentioned that the Altima V6 will almost certainly NOT be offered in the Rogue. The redesigned QR2.5 will almost certainly be the base engine on the redesigned 2014 Rogue, and there is a high likelihood that an upgrade will be available to a small displacement turbo, likely a 1.6 or 1.8 L.

Honestly I'm a little surprised the Altima will still have the V6 option, this is quickly becoming abnormal in many segments including midsize and large crossovers. The newly redigned Hyunda Santa Fe was also revealed yesterday at the New York Auto show and it was quite impressive. The Santa Fe is slightly larger than the Rogue, it shares most components with its sister the Kia Sorento, and the new model will come standard with a 2.4 L GDI (Gasoline Direct Injection) 4 cylinder that produces around 185 horsepower. The upgraded engine is not a V6 as you might expect in a vehicle this size, it is a 2.0 L GDI Turbo that produces an amazing 265 horsepower and torque numbers around 245-50 lb feet. There is no V6 option!!! GDI technology is amazing in that it improves efficiency AND increases horsepower and torque - it's a win-win technology. Combine it with a turbo charger and the V6 loses out. The big and heavy Ford Explorer 3-row crossover is now available with a 2.0 GDI Turbo "Ecoboost" as well, although this is a heavier vehicle than the Santa Fe, this points to a 1.6-1.8 L displacement as a logical size for the Rogue.

I was expecting at some point the Rogue's QR25 to receive direct injection (GDI), but I was wrong which is why I'm sure Nissan will reveal a small turbo with GDI and I'd expect it will account for the majority of sales, especially in later model years and eventually the QR25 may get retired all together.

Another interesting fact about the new Santa Fe (I am referring to it because Hyundai seems to be on the cutting edge forefront of powertrain technology and offers a glimpse into what all manufacturer's will soon be offering): it will be available as a Long Wheelbase 3-row model to compete with industry leaders Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, and Ford Explorer. It will be available only with a 3.3 L GDI normally aspirated V6 that produces 290 horsepower and excellent efficiency which is superior to Toyota and Honda's current offerings of 3.5L regular V6. Hyundai has really pushed the envelope and this will stimulate the competitors to do better, so even if you don't buy a Hyundai you should benefit from the pressure to compete.

I also should mention the redesigned Pathfinder was released last month as a crossover unibody (no more truck body on frame). It looks very good with standard 3rd row seating, but it's powertrain is reported to be the same as in the Murano, a 3.5 V6 with next generation CVT, no GDI or turbo has been reported yet. The CVT will be a competitive edge in terms of efficiency but Nissan may be lagging in the engine department unless they can offer a small turbo - it will be fun to see how the competition plays out!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i heard the that they dropped the v6 in the altima and are using a supercharged inline 4cyl
dont quote ME on that, i was at the dealer test driving a murano last night ;) ;)

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

and i know nissan is working with Renault on a diesel engine. i think that is why they are not to worried about gasoline diesels, hybrids, and direct injection for gasoline.
Turbo's require EXTREMELY watchful eyes over the oil levels, condition. In a gasoline car it gets even worse because RPM's are much higher, versus that of diesel that rev's much lower. This is why you see tons of mid 2000's Jetta's in great condition in junk-yards with engines torn apart because little 25yr old 'Kelly" didnt change her oil on time and after mom & dad paid a couple hundred dollars to diagnose the problem - they opted to junk the whole car because its just not worth rebuilding it all.

kerrton

Yeah I forgot to mention diesels, I agree this offers probably the best oppurtunity to increase efficiency without sacrificing low-end power and without the need for expensive technologoy development like GDI, turbo and the worse offender hybrid-electric.

The Mazda CX5 that Philipa_240sx has been raving about will be available with a small clean diesel later this year, so there is some new precedants being set - Japanese know diesel too, not just VW!

kerrton

.....and you were test driving a Murano! How did you like it, I've heard the CVT is a little more refined and matches well with the 3.5 V6.

The thing about CVT is, it offers a lot of advantages in efficiency, simplistic design, manufacturing costs, but I still am not a fan of the fact that it's not a serviable component. If you have any trouble it requires an expensive $5000ish replacement unit. If the cost of replacement was say half of that, then there'd be no issue because rebuilding a conventional tranny can get you up into the $2000 range. But with the new conventional tranny's and the ever increasing number of gears (Dodge Ram announced today that next years model will come standard with an 8-spd, and all others are looking at 8-10 speed tranny's in the next couple years), the cost to service and repair will go up too.....

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kerrton wrote:.....and you were test driving a Murano! How did you like it, I've heard the CVT is a little more refined and matches well with the 3.5 V6.

The thing about CVT is, it offers a lot of advantages in efficiency, simplistic design, manufacturing costs, but I still am not a fan of the fact that it's not a serviable component. If you have any trouble it requires an expensive $5000ish replacement unit. If the cost of replacement was say half of that, then there'd be no issue because rebuilding a conventional tranny can get you up into the $2000 range. But with the new conventional tranny's and the ever increasing number of gears (Dodge Ram announced today that next years model will come standard with an 8-spd, and all others are looking at 8-10 speed tranny's in the next couple years), the cost to service and repair will go up too.....
"SHE" realized i was right about getting a 2door 6mt g37s and now wants something bigger LOL
she loved my rogue, but of course needs to stand out with the Murano. all i can say is MMmmm MMmmm GOOD!
flawless car.

if she gets it, im gonna withhold sex until she trades me for the rogue..... oh wait a min- thats not how it works LOL

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

ImStricken wrote:i heard the that they dropped the v6 in the altima and are using a supercharged inline 4cyl
dont quote ME on that, i was at the dealer test driving a murano last night ;) ;)
Wait...WHAT!?! Test driving a Murano? :nono:

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

kerrton wrote:Yeah I forgot to mention diesels, I agree this offers probably the best oppurtunity to increase efficiency without sacrificing low-end power and without the need for expensive technologoy development like GDI, turbo and the worse offender hybrid-electric.

The Mazda CX5 that Philipa_240sx has been raving about will be available with a small clean diesel later this year, so there is some new precedants being set - Japanese know diesel too, not just VW!
Diesel is already available overseas in the Qashqai (that's the Euro version of the Rogue)

Here: http://www.netcarshow.com/nissan/2012-qashqai/

And here: http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/news/drive-nis ... 00083.html

Nissan Qashqai 2012 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdQxQPLWGnc

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Rogue One wrote:
ImStricken wrote:i heard the that they dropped the v6 in the altima and are using a supercharged inline 4cyl
Wait...WHAT!?! Test driving a Murano? :nono:
LOL - i love your avatar patch.
and i gotta say, the Murano is gorgeous inside & out. i love that car.

harryg
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

ImStricken wrote:BINGO!
NTB08104

IF YOU CONFIRM A whistle noise coming from the engine during light acceleration, ACTIONS Unbolt but do not remove the electric throttle control actuator. Replace the actuator gasket. Reposition the actuator on the manifold and secure following the instructions in this Service Procedure. NOTE: The repair of this issue, if it should occur, is the repositioning of the actuator not the replacement of the gasket. The gasket is replaced because the actuator is being unbolted from the manifold.
BUMP
when my Rogue is traveling at 60-70km/h and I tap the throttle I can hear a slight whistling noise...is this normal?

A louder different type of whistle is heard when it de-accelerates and comes to a stop
2009 Rogue SL AWD

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

harryg wrote:
ImStricken wrote:BINGO!
NTB08104

BUMP
when my Rogue is traveling at 60-70km/h and I tap the throttle I can hear a slight whistling noise...is this normal?

A louder different type of whistle is heard when it de-accelerates and comes to a stop
2009 Rogue SL AWD
id LOVE to be able to see the internals of a CVT working full speed, in reality. whining & whistling can be simply air, or the rotational speed of something - or a combo of both: JUST LIKE A TURBO. When a turbo begins to spool, it whistles so loud that it can easily hurt your ears. (think of an airplane and the speeds of the impeller and that whistle it creates)

when we slow down, our gear ratios begin to change, and 1 of the pulleys while become smaller, and begin to turn faster than it did while traveling at higher speed = more rotational speed = higher whistle.

Return to “Rogue Forum”