Rebuilding & Building a KA

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
Josh
Car: My car

Allright, I want to rebuild my KA24DE. It only has 115,000 miles but I want to build it up reasonably well and then turbo it in a year or two down the road. Modest HP and torque gains would be nice, but I'm lookinjg for a strong, reliable NA engine with low compression right now.

So what I'm asking, since I dont do things like this everyday, is what would be a good list of items to buy and replace (and recommendations on brands/types etc). And please note that I would be doing this as a senior project for high school, and cant go over $1000 in parts.

Can it be done? And Be worth while?

All suggestions are welcome.

95_240sx
Car: My baby (car)

Always do things 150% the first time! Goto the Turbo KA forum and ask. Also, sorry to burst your bubble, but its very VERY hard to rebuild and engine, including labor and parts and all the unexpected goodies for under $1000.

Rick

Josh

Um, rebuilding a 4-cyl yourself will cost about $400. I know this because my neighbor is hard into cars and engines and building **** like hotrods and other such things... And when ever he isnt at work he's in his garage messing with stuff, and I've known him quite a while so I trust him.

But thanks for the reply, I will go to the turbo forum and see what they got.

Oh yeah, Rick, how much have you put into your engine? Just curious... sounds good so far.

95_240sx
Car: My baby (car)

The first rule about building a project engine is not to add up the costs of it.

But if you must ask I have about $2500 into it, including the full engine from the wrecking yard. I have yet to buy bearings and gaskets (another $200) and the engine will be in my shop on an engine stand, waiting for turbo, intercooler, and fuel system, then it gets put in.

Rick

Josh

Yeah, thats what I wanna do. Get an engine and put it in my garage and slowly build it up. Guess I'm gonna have to goto my 2nd choice for my school project, and do this one over the next year or two.

BinaryVertigo

95_240sx - sounds like you're building a monster :ylsuper besure to keep us updated on your project.

I, too, will be working on a turbo KA...but i simply do not have the fund for a monster project so i'll goin to use nissan pistons/rods/valve train...etc... i think it will be a pretty much brand new engine after the rebuild. I'm only planning to boost around 1 bar for a daily drive anyways so i won't need those super lightweight forge rods and pistons. I'm anticipating around 1000-1200 for all parts from nissan and 0 for labor =]

take care

Josh

Well what I need is a shopping list, the items I would need for the rebuild. I too will be using this for a daily driver.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”