Rear Wiper Replacement

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
Solution9
Car: 2005 Nisssan Murano

I have a 2005 Nissan Murano SL AWD. The manual does not tell you how to replace the rear wiper blade at all. How do you do it?

MaximA32

To be perfectly honest with you, it is in your best interest to take it to your dealer and have them replace it as if you try to remove the wiper, you will most likely break the arm and then it will cost you more out of pocket than you want to pay.

wheelsspin
Car: 2011 G37S

There are literally eight steps to replacing that G.D. wiper. I hate them. With a passion. I always replace the blade(not just the insert), break the thing into a bunch of pieces, then put in the new one. Like NSR A32 said, just take it to a dealer and let them deal with the headache.

wheelsspin
Car: 2011 G37S

Here is the set of instructions you get when purchasing a rear blade. I should have taken pics and done a tutorial on my method, but I thought of it after the fact.

omgb
Car: 2003 Murano, 2002 Ford Ranger, 1969 John Player Special Lotus Europa

I carefully read the instructions, set things up in proper order, tested the proceeedure a few times before actually doing it and then took the whole thing to the dealer. Loads easier and if he breaks the arm, he buys it. I think the whole thing, done with a cabin filter change was $100 bucks. $65 or which was the cabin filter change

neilfairall
Car: 2005 Nissan Murano

I didn't get one of those pieces of paper. I don't suppose you could get hold of a larger image or a scan of that document? I really don't want to go to a dealer just to mount a wiper blade. For that matter, you would think the buggers would have told me how much of a pig it is when I bought the thing from them.

kglazebrook
Car: 2004 Nissan Murano

I just went through the same thing with the rear wiper blade.

Once I found the pin I was able to replace the blade with relative ease.

I scanned the instructions (as requested) and attached to this message.

If you own a 2004 Murano, be aware that not all 2004 models have the same blade. Some have a plastic version (part # 28790CB000) and some have a metal version (part # 28790CA025). I only found this out because they sold me the wrong one initially. Part runs about $10.

Kevin

kglazebrook

I wasn't able to post the image of the instructions so if you need them please email me and I will gladly send them to you.

Kevin

Vikings

How to replace the rear wiper blade on a Nissan Murano: First, note that you probably will not be able to find an after market wiper arm to fit as a replacement. So, you probably should go to a Nissan dealer and buy the replacement (which comes with instructions). I managed to replace just my wiper blade with an Anco 14" refill.

To remove the old wiper arm, you will need a small jeweler's screwdriver to use as a small pry bar. Lift up the wiper as far as it will go and look up under the plastic cover. In the exact center of the wiper blade is a small roll pin which is snapped into a retainer clip. On each side of this in there is a small opening. If you stick the screwdriver into the gap, then pry the roll pin out of the retainer clip. Once the pin is popped out the blade will slide freely. You will need to slide the arm towards you and then pull down past the plastic L shaped piece, the push the arm away from you ad slip it over the other L shaped piece. Note - you may need to bend the wiper arm slightly as you push or it will bump into the spring which is near then end where the wiper is mounted to the car.

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

Thanks for the detailed instructions Vikings!!!! Welcome to NICOclub! I am the moderator here, and it is always a pleasure welcoming helpful individuals such as yourself! Everyone really appreciates the advice.

Julio Bro!
Car: 1993 240SX SE, manual tranny, Stillen intake & strut bar, Magnaflow cat + custom cat-back, NISMO sus

kglazebrook wrote:I just went through the same thing with the rear wiper blade.

Once I found the pin I was able to replace the blade with relative ease.

I scanned the instructions (as requested) and attached to this message.

If you own a 2004 Murano, be aware that not all 2004 models have the same blade. Some have a plastic version (part # 28790CB000) and some have a metal version (part # 28790CA025). I only found this out because they sold me the wrong one initially. Part runs about $10.

Kevin
Hi: I tried e-mailing you for the scanned instructions, but your e-mail didn't work. Please indicate how may I get them; you can e-mail me.

Thanks.
Modified by Julio Bro! at 5:28 PM 8/2/2008

obmurano05
Car: 2005 Nissan Murano SL

Alrigh guys! Here's the definitive way I found to do it w/o removing the ENTIRE arm assembly blah blah blah. Okay, to remove the old one, if you look closely at the wiper blade assembly, not the arm, but the blade part only. It is in three moving parts, the main (longest part) that attaches to the wiper arm itself and then two (shorter parts) of equal length at each end where the blade actually is help in place by guides. If you look at the swivel points where each of the two smaller end pieces fit onto the larger piece there should be room to fit a small, thin, flat head screwdriver gently into that space and pop the fitting off of the maind part nipple that holds the end pieces on. Once you have gotten off the two shorter pieces you can now pull out the main arm as far as possible and rotate the longer main portion of the blade assembly kind of backwards and play with it and it should slide off. Now! After trying all the other ways I found on the internet I figured this out. You CANNOT take off the wiper arm! I tried removing the nut, and pulling it off and mine just wouldn't budge. Fearing I might break the arm I turned my attention to the NEW wiper assembly. After a minute I realized that on the underside of the NEW blade assy. where the smaller piece attaches to the larger main piece there is actually a little groove for you to use a small flat heat screw driver to apply a little leverage to pop off the end piece, repeat this to the other end. If you notice after you pop it off, the main longer portion where you popped it off is rounded over, this is because after you pop it off you may now reinstall the new main portion the way you removed the old one. After you have the new longer portion on there simply line up the two smaller portions on each end with the actual wiper lined up in their grooves and simply snap the two end pieces back onto the larger piece! And voila! There you have it!

jwkeep
Car: 2005 Murano

I needed to change my 2005 Murano rear wiper and discovered how to do it.
The cover at the base can be popped off with your fingers.
Remove the 10 mm nut.
The wiper assembly comes off by 'unscrewing' it counter clockwise. After two or three revolutions it is off.
The rear blade replaces similar to the windshield blades. Put the blade on and reassemble.
The wiper assemble will screw back in by rotating it clockwise two or three revolutions. After two or three revs it does not appear to tighten any further.
Set the blade assembly at the bottom position, remount the nut and pop the cover back on.
Hope this works as well for you as it did for me. I was getting worried I was going to have to go to the dealer.

Tigerdan
Car: 2005 Nissan Murano

I tried JWKeep's suggestion on my 2005 and it was EASY. Thanks JW, I was hoping for something less complicated than some of the other suggestions here.

frank1492
Car: Nissan Murano 2006

Murano 2006. By far the easiest way is just to replace the rubber blade insert itself. Grab the end of the old one with needle-nose plyers and pull the insert over the retaining lip at the end of the arm channel. Get yourself a Trico 14B blade. (I didn't even ask about the inserts- was told some time ago that nobody carries them.) Break off the retaining lip on the 14B and slide the blade insert out. Carefully slide the insert over the lip and into the channel of the original arm. Voila! Under 5 minutes.
There should be no glitches here at all. The Trico 14B is the arm called for by the Murano. The rubber blade insert is virtually identical to the original, though you may have to trim off about 1/4" for it to fit properly.
I'm at a loss to understand why nobody has suggested this. I looked at the suggestion to remove the rubber boot at the base of the wiper shaft and undo the nut. Too complicated for me.

frank1492

Murano 2006. By far the easiest way is just to replace the rubber blade insert itself. Grab the end of the old one with needle-nose plyers and pull the insert over the retaining lip at the end of the arm channel. Get yourself a Trico 14B blade. (I didn't even ask about the inserts- was told some time ago that nobody carries them.) Break off the retaining lip on the 14B and slide the blade insert out. Carefully slide the insert over the lip and into the channel of the original arm. Voila! Under 5 minutes.
There should be no glitches here at all. The Trico 14B is the arm called for by the Murano. The rubber blade insert is virtually identical to the original, though you may have to trim off about 1/4" for it to fit properly.
I'm at a loss to understand why nobody has suggested this. I looked at the suggestion to remove the rubber boot at the base of the wiper shaft and undo the nut. Too complicated for me.

soylives
Car: 2007 Nissan Murano

This lil project took me 20 mins. 19 mins 30 of fist pounding and swearing trips to and from garage to workshop for tools. :ohno: And 30 secs of labor once I figured it out. :crazy: This requires no tools. Don't worry about the pin. This is how its done, whithout pictures:
1. Lift wiper blade off rear window.
2. While holding arm off window, pull wiper towards window to create flex in blade.
3. Push blade up into the hollow nook where the spring is located on the wiper arm. This, combined with the flex, when done properly, will give you enough slack to disengage the wiper blade from the outermost passenger side clip.
4. Slide out the blade towards the passenger side of the car.
5. Slide in the new blade towards the driver's side of the car maintaining the flex when required.
6. Release.

All you need is the blade and the two metal stabilizing stirps for this workaround. Discard the the the rest of the wiper.

Like everthing else in life, it's not that hard once you know how to do it. Now find me the engineer who designed it so I can punch him in the nose. :tisk:

Timmbo

That is such a PITA just to replace a wiper blade.............LOL :)

frank1492

soylives wrote:This lil project took me 20 mins. 19 mins 30 of fist pounding and swearing trips to and from garage to workshop for tools. :ohno: And 30 secs of labor once I figured it out. :crazy: This requires no tools. Don't worry about the pin. This is how its done, whithout pictures:
1. Lift wiper blade off rear window.
2. While holding arm off window, pull wiper towards window to create flex in blade.
3. Push blade up into the hollow nook where the spring is located on the wiper arm. This, combined with the flex, when done properly, will give you enough slack to disengage the wiper blade from the outermost passenger side clip.
4. Slide out the blade towards the passenger side of the car.
5. Slide in the new blade towards the driver's side of the car maintaining the flex when required.
6. Release.

All you need is the blade and the two metal stabilizing stirps for this workaround. Discard the the the rest of the wiper.

Like everthing else in life, it's not that hard once you know how to do it. Now find me the engineer who designed it so I can punch him in the nose. :tisk:
Is the 2007 different from the 2006? If not why didn't you just follow my post and replace the rubber itself?

elabmag
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano

TRUST ME ON THIS. THIS IS SIMPLE!!!! Follow JWKeep's suggestion posted November 22 2010. It was EASY. and much less complicated than some of the other suggestions here.

If you can't find his post here's the summary. First take notice of where the wiper is positioned on the window. The Cap where the wiper arm mounts to the car pulls of. Just mess with it and you will get it to pop off. Inside is a 10mm nut holding the arm on. Take off the nut. Make sure you look at where the wiper is positioned on the window. At first when you try to pull off the wiper arm it seems like it won't come off. Keep wiggling it because it is seated on a grooved shaft. Eventually you will wiggle it free an then you can change the blade and put it back on and snap the cover back on. Just make sure to put it back on in the right position back where the wiper was sitting on the window originally. SIMPLE PROCESS - DON'T GET CONFUSED OR DISCOURAGED BY ALL THE OTHER COMPLICATED AND CONVOLUTED METHODS POSTED HERE.

Murno2005Owner
Car: Nissan Murano 2005 SL

VERY SIMPLE:

You only need a 10mm crescent wrench.
Buy a compatible replacement (i think it's 14 inches. The book at the auto store will warn you that you need to take off the blade to replace)

1) There is a plastic cover over the base of the wiper. Remove it gently with your fingers.
Expose the 10mm nut
2) Remove the 10mm nut
3) There is a spring holding the assembly crooked on the bolt. The spring holds the wiper against the window.
So pulling directly up will not work unless you try and straighten it first
This is easily done with lifting the wiper apparatus up at the base with your finger between the glass and the apparatus on the left end of the wiper apparatus
and slightly pushing down on the right end of the base to work against the spring and lift it out straight.
4) Rotate the old wiper blade out
5) Rotate the new wiper blade in and reverse the steps.

:dblthumb:

twonissans
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano
2009 Nissan Versa

I just changed the wiper blades on a 2009 Murano and on a 2009 Versa. The rear wipers are different: the Murano wiper assembly screws off, while the Versa assembly lifts off. The Murano assembly doesn't fully seat, so I'd suggest counting the turns when you remove it. Also, the Murano cap that covers the nut is very fragile--I'd suggest removing it by gently prying the bottom apart with your fingers rather than prying it from either end with a tool. The main trick for the Versa is to depress the wiper blade so that the wiper assembly hole aligns with its shaft--it just pulls straight out.

krisjeff

I have to give a BIG :dblthumb: to Frank1492. My husband usually handles the "car stuff", but after my MANY requests for him to replace this stupid wiper blade kept finding their way to his "back burner", I figured I'd give it a shot myself.
Little screwdriver in hand, I began doing exactly what Frank posted. Course, being a chick and all, I thought I'd really be safest double checking what I was doing first, since it looked too easy...I'd never have heard the end of it had I broken anything on the car!
After a quick "rear wiper blade replacement" search, I was sent right to Frank's post (quoted below), which confirmed just how easy it really was to change out the blade. So many other posts really just over complicate things, because in about 10 minutes I was done....yep...did it all myself too!
I know, I sound like such a girl, but the look on my hubby's face- after seeing he wasn't needed after all (especially when it comes to the car) is going to be priceless :chuckle:
Frank, you're the Man!

Thanks again!

Kristina :biggrin:
frank1492 wrote:Murano 2006. By far the easiest way is just to replace the rubber blade insert itself. Grab the end of the old one with needle-nose plyers and pull the insert over the retaining lip at the end of the arm channel. Get yourself a Trico 14B blade. (I didn't even ask about the inserts- was told some time ago that nobody carries them.) Break off the retaining lip on the 14B and slide the blade insert out. Carefully slide the insert over the lip and into the channel of the original arm. Voila! Under 5 minutes.

jomama717
Car: 2007 Nissan Murano

You sir, are a genius. Following your instructions I was able to replace the wiper myself in under 10 minutes. After reading post after post on site after site saying "go to the dealer" I am very pleased to inform you that you have saved me a weekend afternoon. Thank you!
obmurano05 wrote:Alrigh guys! Here's the definitive way I found to do it w/o removing the ENTIRE arm assembly blah blah blah. Okay, to remove the old one, if you look closely at the wiper blade assembly, not the arm, but the blade part only. It is in three moving parts, the main (longest part) that attaches to the wiper arm itself and then two (shorter parts) of equal length at each end where the blade actually is help in place by guides. If you look at the swivel points where each of the two smaller end pieces fit onto the larger piece there should be room to fit a small, thin, flat head screwdriver gently into that space and pop the fitting off of the maind part nipple that holds the end pieces on. Once you have gotten off the two shorter pieces you can now pull out the main arm as far as possible and rotate the longer main portion of the blade assembly kind of backwards and play with it and it should slide off. Now! After trying all the other ways I found on the internet I figured this out. You CANNOT take off the wiper arm! I tried removing the nut, and pulling it off and mine just wouldn't budge. Fearing I might break the arm I turned my attention to the NEW wiper assembly. After a minute I realized that on the underside of the NEW blade assy. where the smaller piece attaches to the larger main piece there is actually a little groove for you to use a small flat heat screw driver to apply a little leverage to pop off the end piece, repeat this to the other end. If you notice after you pop it off, the main longer portion where you popped it off is rounded over, this is because after you pop it off you may now reinstall the new main portion the way you removed the old one. After you have the new longer portion on there simply line up the two smaller portions on each end with the actual wiper lined up in their grooves and simply snap the two end pieces back onto the larger piece! And voila! There you have it!

nafddur
Car: Nissan Maxima, Nissan Murano

obmurano05 wrote: You CANNOT take off the wiper arm! I tried removing the nut, and pulling it off and mine just wouldn't budge.
This is not true at all. Granted, the wiper arm is a precise (ie snug) fit onto its splines, but it DOES come off. While there are several ways to replace the rear wiper blade, removing the entire arm and doing it on your work bench is still (IMHO, of course) the easiest.

MadwunMurano
Car: 2007 Nissan Murano S

Followed the steps supplied by obmurano05 and it literally took me less than 10 minutes!!!

Thanks!!!
jomama717 wrote:You sir, are a genius. Following your instructions I was able to replace the wiper myself in under 10 minutes. After reading post after post on site after site saying "go to the dealer" I am very pleased to inform you that you have saved me a weekend afternoon. Thank you!
obmurano05 wrote:Alrigh guys! Here's the definitive way I found to do it w/o removing the ENTIRE arm assembly blah blah blah. Okay, to remove the old one, if you look closely at the wiper blade assembly, not the arm, but the blade part only. It is in three moving parts, the main (longest part) that attaches to the wiper arm itself and then two (shorter parts) of equal length at each end where the blade actually is help in place by guides. If you look at the swivel points where each of the two smaller end pieces fit onto the larger piece there should be room to fit a small, thin, flat head screwdriver gently into that space and pop the fitting off of the maind part nipple that holds the end pieces on. Once you have gotten off the two shorter pieces you can now pull out the main arm as far as possible and rotate the longer main portion of the blade assembly kind of backwards and play with it and it should slide off. Now! After trying all the other ways I found on the internet I figured this out. You CANNOT take off the wiper arm! I tried removing the nut, and pulling it off and mine just wouldn't budge. Fearing I might break the arm I turned my attention to the NEW wiper assembly. After a minute I realized that on the underside of the NEW blade assy. where the smaller piece attaches to the larger main piece there is actually a little groove for you to use a small flat heat screw driver to apply a little leverage to pop off the end piece, repeat this to the other end. If you notice after you pop it off, the main longer portion where you popped it off is rounded over, this is because after you pop it off you may now reinstall the new main portion the way you removed the old one. After you have the new longer portion on there simply line up the two smaller portions on each end with the actual wiper lined up in their grooves and simply snap the two end pieces back onto the larger piece! And voila! There you have it!

mura2009
Car: 2009 Murano

I have a 2009 Murano. The rear wiper blade is 12" long and I replaced the blade refill, generally following comment by frank1492, in 5 minutes. I ordered the refill "ANCO N-12R Narrow Series" (the refill base is 6mm wide and they come in pairs; one end of the refill has a 1/4" plastic cap - no need to remove it). I ordered it at rockauto.com - but the part appears widely available. I pulled the old blade out (after lifting its edge over the retaining lip) using both hands (pulling with the right hand while pushing with the left hand). No tools were needed. I then inserted the new refill into the arm channel and pushed it in (also using both hands). Finally, I slided the plastic cap (at the end of the blade) over the retaining lip and it locked in place.

Just in case, check first whether you have this kind of the blade installed: try to slide it out a bit and check the dimensions. If they match, the process I described will do it.

Timmbo

mura2009 wrote:I have a 2009 Murano. The rear wiper blade is 12" long and I replaced the blade refill, generally following comment by frank1492, in 5 minutes. I ordered the refill "ANCO N-12R Narrow Series" (the refill base is 6mm wide and they come in pairs; one end of the refill has a 1/4" plastic cap - no need to remove it). I ordered it at rockauto.com - but the part appears widely available. I pulled the old blade out (after lifting its edge over the retaining lip) using both hands (pulling with the right hand while pushing with the left hand). No tools were needed. I then inserted the new refill into the arm channel and pushed it in (also using both hands). Finally, I slided the plastic cap (at the end of the blade) over the retaining lip and it locked in place.

Just in case, check first whether you have this kind of the blade installed: try to slide it out a bit and check the dimensions. If they match, the process I described will do it.
Greetings from the staff here at NICOclub! Glad to have you as a new member of the Murano forum! Thanks for the feedback on the blade install. :)

Tahoe Sneak
Car: 2005 Nissan Murano SL AWD
2004 Infiniti G35X

Thanks Jwkeep! Took me 3 minutes to replace on my 2005 Murano after reading your post.

Xcel64
Car: Murano 2004

Just joined to thank Fran1492 for his suggestion, replacing rubber insert made trick for my '04 MO. Bought Trico "Exact Replacement" 14-B and for the life of me wasn't able to find a way to attach wiper arm into MO wiper plastic cover. Dealer asked $20 but believe it was just parts. If indeed includes labor, next time I'm having dealer performing rear wiper blade replacement.

Return to “Murano Forum”