Real world experiences with small rear window/ limited visability??

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
pinnumberr
Car: Rogue

I test drove the Rogue and love it, particularly compared to the other usual suspects (CRV, RAV4, Outlander, etc.) that I drove as well.

The only thing that's holding me back is the visability issue resulting from the very small rear window. It was a bit of a shocker to experience it for the first time at the dealership. I've been browsing through the forum and it seems many feel they have gotten used to it and have adjusted their habits to help do so (reposition the side mirrors, get rear sensors, etc.).

However I am still a little nervous about the view. More than 50% of my time in a car is with young children in the back seat so I'm not looking to take on obvious safety issues.

Have you guys really gotten used to the view? Can you tell me more about how you have done this? Is it worse at night compared to the daytime? Have you gotten into any close call ("almost accidents") situations on the road or is your driving as safe as before?

I'm trying to pull the trigger on the purchase but want to feel less nervous about this issue. The only other thing is the dirt on the sill issue that potentially causes rusting down the road...according to some of the forum posts. That's more of a nuisance and hopefully Nissan will uncover a solution. However the rear window is harder to fix so I'm looking to see how all of you have adjusted. Thanks a bunch!

paulvanharte
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

I would be a liar if I said the rear visibility is good, but I have gotten used to it. I would not always depend on the side mirrors however! Always shoulder check when changing lanes. Backing up does require a bit more attention and I do use the side mirrors more so than in any other car I have owned. My wife took it out the other day for the first time and was somewhat suprised by the small rear window. Having said that I have not had any close calls at all. Although somebody did rear end me yesterday

Paul

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

This is one of the many things I researched too before buying my Rogue 3 weeks ago, and I too have a young child that I want to ensure is safe, and that is one of the very reasons that I purchased the Rogue.

I don't see this as an issue, because the window allows you to see the top of any vehicles that are behind you. In other vehciles the larger window allows you to see more of the vehicle behind you, but basically all you need to know is if a vehicle is there or not and this window allows you to do that. Some people had worries about shoulder checking and the small rear side windows, but I see this as a "non issue", because when you shoulder check you look out the passenger side windows which are large, and not out the very back side windows - I think some people never learned to shoulder check properly and to use their mirrors, so they perceived this as an issue when in fact it isn't. Also, the Rogue has very large funcitonal side view mirrors which is a great safety feature, unlike many vehicles which give you extremely small mirrors that aren't functional.

I think you should base your decision on your impressions when test driving. Test drive it several times on different days, and maybe even get someone else to come with you and drive it, and see what they think. If you really have bad feelings while driving it, chances are it won't go away later.

Me, I never noticed what you guys are all worried about!! I test drove it and felt the visibility was great from the very first moment I drove it, and I feel totally safe and in control!!

pinnumberr

Thanks...is it more difficult for you at night or about the same?

philipa_240sx

I have to admit, the rear visibility issue has troubled my fiancee. She still cannot get used to it. She is used to her Mazda Protege and the huge expanse of glass. IMHO, most drivers should be able to adjust and many have. But for some (like my fiancee), there is no getting around it.

I have never had a close call in the Rogue. How have I adjusted?

- Proper mirror adjustment to cover the blind spots. They are adjusted outwards so that the sides of the vehicle just disappear from view. Properly set, you can follow a vehicle from your rearview mirror to the sideview mirror and then to your peripheral vision. This way you never take your eyes off the road in front of you... at least not for more than a fraction of a second. Many driving schools now teach this method and IMHO is a safer way to drive. I have used this method for the past 12+ years and in every vehicle I have driven.

- Being aware of my surroundings and keeping in mind the vehicles limitations. I am aware of the limited rear visibility and keep that in mind.

Now, backing up is still an issue and I am addressing that with a an ultrasonic backup sensor. I learned the hard way many years ago with my Pathfinder when I had accidentally run over a child's bicycle... and the child just escaped injury. Ever since then I triple check when backing up.

I honestly love adapting to new vehicles as it challenges my driving skills. But I recommend others test drive the vehicle extensively before they buy. If you don't feel you can get comfortable with it, then don't risk your safety and look for something else.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

That is the key point, when driving in a forward direction you don't shoulder check out the back window, you shoulder check out the side window and use your mirrors. This is the way driving has always been taught - if you are shoulder checking straight back out the rear window, you are DANGEROUS and not driving correctly. Like philip a said, new driving techniques actually don't teach shoulder checking at all, but rather just using mirrors - I don't know if I agree with this but basically when moving forward the Rogue is just fine. Backing up would be the only time I would say that the back window has a disadvantage.

philipa_240sx

Many drivers have learned the shoulder check method and it's not an easy habit to change. Many do not 'trust' thier side view mirrors.

Here is one thing to keep in mind: For every second you take your eyes off the road ahead, you travel 80 ft or 26 yards at 55mph. A lot can happen in 1 second. If you must, look well in front first and keep your shoulder check as brief as possible.

RubenTheRogue
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD

I have not had any issues, nor has my wife, you just remember and get used to the fact that the visibility isnt perfect. Look behing your car when you get out or before you get in, notice any low things you can potentially back into that might not be visible with a rearview mirror check or turn around backing posture. I always shoulder check before changing lanes, no matter what car I am driving. Not so much to the right but always to the left. I have not driven a car that has perfect coverage from rearview to sideview to peripheral. There's always a blind spot or maybe someone sneaking up on you. I can't believe shoulder checking isnt taught in driver ed. Kinda like target practice without visually inspecting the entire shooting range....

tellurian

I'll chime in too. I have to echo other's sentiments ... rear visibility is a bit of an issue, I wish I could see more, but it has not interfered with anything I do or caused me grief. I back up a lot. I *only* back up into my driveway, and then into my small garage. I have not ever in my life *backed out* of my driveway. Some people just cannot backup or drive backward, or have difficulty doing so. It is just how it is, they may otherwise be fine drivers, even better than I. The bottom line is you get used to it and it is not a problem. That all being said though, there are driver out there (can I call them drivers?) that can't do anything without 'decision paralysis dilemma' and really need a personal driving coach with them at all times.

And shoulder checking, how can you not shoulder check! There are blind spots in any vehicle, not to mention blind spots in your own vision! Unfortunately your visual blind spots are close to where the vehicle blind spots are. I don't get it, but I see it often; people lazily drift into my lane as if I were not there. I wonder if driver's ed courses teach people not to drive in other's blind spots ... I see a lot of that too; some clot just sitting in the next guys (or mine!!) blind spot in an otherwise wide open road.

A bit a rant, sorry, but if everyone were as perfect a driver as I (hahaha, ya right) ...

philipa_240sx

RubenTheRogue wrote:I can't believe shoulder checking isnt taught in driver ed. Kinda like target practice without visually inspecting the entire shooting range....
My bad, I should not make such blanket statements.

Leo2005

Rear window suck at any CUV. Why don't you guys check Kia Sportage or VW Tiguan? They're all suck.

anchises868
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S

I've learned to turn my head a little farther when changing lanes because I'll miss whoever is near my right rear fender if I don't. But beyond that, my rear visibility isn't any worse than it was in my Camaro.

amr40509

The rear visibility in my wife's Rogue is pretty bad, but that's not really a big deal if you are used to it. Many people drive vans/tucks every day w/o a rear window at all and do just fine.

My Pathfinder has great rear visibility....until I hook the Deck Boat up to it, then all I can see out of the back is the bow of the boat. No big deal, even w/ that big trailer out there.

There is no saftey issue here...unless you are just an unobservant driver. You should be watching traffic in all directions frequently so that no one sneeks up on you and into your blind spot. So put down the cell phone (turn off the blue tooth), get your coffee AFTER you get to work, stop doing your makeup, and think about your driving...that's how you'll be safe.

Iridiman
Car: 2008 Rogue Iridium Graphite loaded, 1996 BMW Z3 and 2001 M Roadster

I do all of the above when changing lanes or backing up. I added small convex mirrors to the side mirrors and a Fresnel lens to the back window. HUGE improvement in rear visibility for added safety.

munkymonkjr
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S FWD

refer to this thread for my recent experiences. picture included

zer...31727

droopy170
Car: 08 Rogue S Indigo Blue

Rant follows: not directed at any one post. All this talk about the back window is kind of ridiculous. I am an EMT for the county Emergency Medical Services. IE I drive one of those big box, pick-up front end ambulances all day. The best I can see out of the rear view mirror is the inside of the paitent compartment. I cannot see directly behind the ambulence. Because of the way the "box" is designed I have to rely on the sideview convex mirrors (instead of side windows), which are pretty good. When I get into the Rogue at the end of my shift, visibilty is relatively unlimited. Proper use of side mirrors, correct head checks, and constant scanning (anybody remember to scan 12 seconds down the road?) and awarness of whats' going on around you while driving (ie don't be using a cell phone etc.) will minimize potential danges. Prior to backing, actually walk all around your vehicle, note any potential problems, not just in your path, but in the area around you (notice the kids playing down the street etc). Also don't fixate on one view, use all your mirrors and windows. Don't hesitate to back a couple feet, stop and and take a few seconds to check again. The biggest problem I see daily is people who don't pay attention to controlling their vehicle. Again I apologize for the rant and step off my soap box.

Droopy

paulvanharte
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

Totally agree with you!!!. This day and age people should focus on driving not applying make up, talking on cell phone. The other day somebody rear ended me, because he was looking at his knees???

Paul

ahhbeebee
Car: '08 Rogue SL FWD - Pearl White

At first it took a little while 1.5 weeks to get used to the reduce visibility while driving (compared to a wagon, boy I miss those vast windows in my subaru), but I haven't had any problems since.

Regarding backing up, that I still am very cautious about even after about 1 month of constant driving, backing up. Same holds true with parallel parking. It's simply impossible (good technique or not) to see anything that is under 3-4 ft tall immediately behind the vehicle. With the exception of those fresnel lenses, as someone mentioned, you just have to do spot checks while in and out of your vehicle to make sure nothing is in the area.

tehee, while testing a Rogue at a dealership, I found out first hand how difficult it can be, I was backing up in a parking lot trying to test how visibility would affect maneuverability in tight spots, ended up backing over one of those concrete parking blocks, scratching up the demo's muffler, hope the future owner doesn't see this.

Return to “Rogue Forum”