Re-covering Your S13 Glove Box

Articles, modifications, maintenance, DIY's, how-to's and general information for 240sx owners.
AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

by spyro187

Overview:

One of the first things I noticed when I got my s13 was the ugly door and glove box covering that didn't match the interior. Here is what I did.

Difficulty: *

Time: 1 hour

Cost: $5-$10

Tools:

- Phillips head screwdriver- scissors- hot glue gun- needle nose pliers

Materials:

- spray glue- sandpaper- vinyl

Procedure:

Step 1: Remove the glove box and disassemble.

Step 2: Using you needle nose, remove all the nails on the backside and tear off the ugly covering

Step 3: Sand down the front of the glove box to remove all the leftover fuzz, glue, etc...

Step 4: Cut out a piece of vinyl that is bigger than the glove box

Step 5: Use your spray adhesive to spray the front of the glove box and spread your vinyl over it. Keep it as tight as possible and make sure is is smoothed out with no wrinkles. WARNING: There is cheap 3m epoxy and expensive one, the cheap one doesn't work!!!!!!

Step 5: Fold the vinyl around the edge of the face and get a good measurement. Cut off the excess.

Step 6: Pull the vinyl around the edges and use the hot glue to tack it down. Only put glue on the backside that will be cover when it goes back together. If you put hot glue anywhere under the vinyl that won't be covered it will create ugly lumps. Do this all the way around the glove box until completely covered. After doing mine, I was told you can use a hair dryer to help stretch it over the edge and make the corners cleaner.

Step 7: Determine the best way to cut out the handle area and glue it down. I had to add a little vinyl inside the handle area for complete coverage. Maybe someone here can help with a better solution. The hairdryer may also work in this situation. I haven't tried it yet.

Step 8: Put it back together and see how you like it. If you dash is really clean it matches the new vinyl better. If you are very picky then color matching will be the hardest part. These picks are before I shined everything.

Here are some pics of my install. This was may first one so any assistance in technique would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “240sx Articles”