Rb26 trouble shooting

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
Madnis1988
Car: Nissan skyline

Hello guys
I'm new to the rb26 and I am trouble shooting just need some advice on what my problem might be

On start up my oil pressure spikes all over the place but after 2-3mines settles around 2bar on idle. When I give it a few revs 3000-5000rpm it idles like s*** sounds like a subaru . My oil pressure then drops to about 1.5bar oil temp 50c
If I leave it get too warm it drops off to all most 0 . This only start after I did a oil change spark plug change but on the same day I all so took it out and thrashed it a bit seemed like it was runing fine untill I started it the next morning only to find out about this problem im haveing . I am thinking my oil pump is pretty much gone or on its way out . I'll so add the battery was flat would this affect the ecu ?

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

You have a cylinder that's not firing. Your bouncing oil pressure might be caused by the missing cylinder causing weird power pulses as it comes up to the plate and strikes out.

ca18detgabby
Car: 92 s13 ca18det SOLD, 03 G35

Agreed with what TMS said. I would pull the plugs and see if one or more of them is soaked with fuel. If so that cylinder isn't firing properly and coil maybe toast. Could also be an issue with the ignitor.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Quicker way is while it's running unplug a coil at a time. If the engine stumbles, that coil is working, if it doesn't, you found the bad one. It might not be fully plugged in either so be sure to check that.

usafdarkhorse
Car: 1990 Honda NSX #382
1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R #2317
1972 Datsun 240Z

I just went through the whole misfire ordeal after taking the car to the track. It developed what felt like a nasty misfire/ignition cut upon corner exit under high load after around lap 5 or 6 (right as I was feeling comfortable) in both sessions. It seemingly went away for the first portion of the second session, but again cropped up around lap 5 or 6. After leaving the track, the misfire continued to pop up about once every few minutes on our 2.5 hour drive back, this time at all loads. It was frustrating.

I got to reading on forums and blogs which eventually led me to a great youtube video out of Australia where a guy troubleshoots the misfire he's experiencing in his '96 BCNR33 Vspec. What he ended up finding was that carbon trails, moisture, and grime along the side of the coilpack body and around the boot caused the spark to travel up away from the cylinder and ground into the metal coilpack frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qirx_G4x5i0

So I bought a tube of silicone grease and some contact cleaner

Pulled the coilpacks out of the car

Disassembled

This is the plug boot on #2 cylinder. Moisture.

This is cylinder #4, water has been sitting here at some point
Plug from #4
Cylinder #5, corroded boot seal

I had just changed all the plugs only a few months beforehand, so they all looked pretty good.

My harness was looking worse for the wear as well, so I purchased a new OE ignition harness which wasn't all that expensive. It will not arrive for another week or so. The center garnish, while looking cool, also causes the harness to bake in the valley.

After cleaning contacts at the MAFs, igniter, CAS, and my old ignition harness, I reassembled the coilpacks and reinstalled everything back into the car.

A cleaned and prepped set of coilpacks. I dabbed a little grease in the boots and at the connectors as well.

Started the car and let it warm up. No hiccups or wavering idle. Took it for a spin and it drove like a champ. Rock solid.

Take a few minutes and check over your coilpacks/spark plug galleys for corrosion and evidence of water contamination. You'll save yourself alot of headaches and probably more than a few $$$ chasing your tail when it could be just as simple as needing to be cleaned.

M35Squirrel
Car: 1990 GT-R, 2011 M37

Wow this is extremely helpful information.
I wonder if the previous owner washed the engine to cause all that.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”