RB25DET Swap Thread!

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
leesredgt
Car: 1992 Toyota MR2 N/A
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

When i first do the RB swap i regreted not making a swap thread so i decided to do one this time.I bought the convertible a couple months ago,and had been contemplating putting the RB into the vert.Well i decided to go through with it and it just has really got hot enough to work on it since im outside and not inside a garage.Its kinda hard to paint when its 30 degrees outside.lol

But anyways heres what ive got done so far,im hopeing to pull the engine Monday.

This is after i got the bay stripped and sanded and ready for paint.

Heres just another close up of it.I decided to leave the brake lines and booster on so i could paint it all black.

Heres the engine bay finally primered.I had primer left over from when i painted the hatches engine bay so i just got the air comopressor out and the gun and hit it real quick.

This is after one can of black paint.

Here it is finished.Took a can and a half more.I decided not to sand down the primer and leave it a little ruff to give it a little texture and a diffrent look.I think it came out pretty nice.

Just a pic of the paint up close to show the texture.Kinda looks like a spray in bed liner,but not so ruff.

heres a picture of the two cars together.I started breaking the hatch down while i was waiting on the engine bay to dry.

Thats it for today,Im hopeing to have more pics up tomorrow when i pull the engine(if i can remeber to grab the camera).Thanks for looking guys!

EPD
Car: 94 caged vert, 87 RX7

Wait a sec, you sprayed primer through a gun then used rattle can black? lol ok.

i am interested to see what you have planned for this car

TonyStarks29
Car: 1994 240sx Convertable w/ SR20DET

wow a Rb25 vert thread this is gonna be something i gotta follow

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

EPD wrote:Wait a sec, you sprayed primer through a gun then used rattle can black? lol ok.

i am interested to see what you have planned for this car
LOL. Yeah i had the primer from when i painted the other engine bay so i just used that,and i didn't have enough money to go buy a gallon of black paint.Plus im not for sure if im gonna paint the rest of the car black either.
TonyStarks29 wrote:wow a Rb25 vert thread this is gonna be something i gotta follow

Im gonna post up some more pics once i get them uploaded to my computer.

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Heres the pics i got today.I was gonna take one or two when the engine when i got it out but by the time i got it out it was dark so that didnt work.Ill get more pics tomorrow.

These pictures are just some of when we were right in the middle of pulling it.I ended up getting two wires snagged on a bolt and tore them apart so i gotta splice them back together.Also the stupid A/C condensor tensioner pulley got caught under the core support and made a dent which in return pissed me off.lol.Any ways on to the pics.

Hopefully i have more updates in the next couple days.

EPD

sweet keep it up, and scrub down that 25 before you shove it into the vert.

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

EPD wrote:sweet keep it up, and scrub down that 25 before you shove it into the vert.
Yeah,im def gonna clean it before i drop her into the vert.

Heres some pics from today.I didnt get really anything done,i got the top half of the intake mani off thats about it.I would have gotten more done but i worked today(which is a good thing i might add) so i didnt have as much time,plus its gonna rain here tomorrow and i dont want alot of open holes that i have to cover up.Anyways on to the pictures...

A picture of the top half of the intake manifold taken off and plugged up with bags so no water will get down in them tonight.

thats all the pics i got today,nothing really changed hopefully i have some more big changes by the end of the week,if the rain will hold off.

EPD

must be raining still huh?

georgegto
Car: Nissan s13

Any more updates from ur projetct?

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Hey guys got some updates for ya!

Ok well its been a couple of days,ive had to fight rain and such but i finally got some other stuff done on it.

Heres the new manifold i got from RawBrokerage.

After i got the water tube installed.

And heres how it looks when it was first mounted without the fuel rail installed.

Same picture as above but with the fuel rail on and the Q45 throttle body on also.

Big diffrence compared to the crappy stock Intake Manifold.

So after i got that all buttoned up i wetn to take off the front cover to paint it,b/c well,with the new manifold on the rest of the engine looks like crap.lol

So when i took it off,I found that the bracket behind the cover that holds the CAS was broke completley in half.

You can see where it was craked in this picture.

So after that,i tired to weld it up.

But, because the peice is cast iron the weld wasnt really strong and i didnt trust it,so im gonna get a new one.

So that pretty much gets you guys up to speed were im at.Im kinda at a stand still untill i get that part,but i might try to drop the engine in anyways and put it on later.Well see.

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Ok shes almost ready to drop into the car now just putting the finishing touches on.Heres what i did today.I did have more pieces done but it got dark before i could snap some more pictures.

As you can se its been cleaned up,and its a big diffrence compared to what it used to be.

Ill have some more pictures in the next few days hopefuly.

wmdavis007
Car: 1992 240SX Convertible
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L

Looking great Lee!! Keep us posted on updates.

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

wmdavis007 wrote:Looking great Lee!! Keep us posted on updates.
Thanks and will do.Im hopeing to try and drop it into the vert Thursday,if the weather will hold off.

EPD

Updates?

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

I finally got the engine dropped in Wed. and i sold the hatch on Wed to.But its has rained since then so i havent been able to get any pics,so hopefully ill be able to get some tomorrow.

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Ok well i finally was able to work on the vert and snap some pictures.I got the harness through the fire wall and shifter on.Ive still got to drill my hole through the fire wall for the 5-speed conversion,but thats the next in line thing to be done.Any ways heres the pictures of were im at now on the car,hopefully ill be getting more things done on the car now since it has stopped raining.Oh i almost forgot, I also got the Hatchback sold Wed. to so theres the rest of the money i needed to finish the swap!

EPD

awww, it looks so pretty sitting in there.

Did you get a new cas bracket? or are you running the broken one still?

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

EPD wrote:awww, it looks so pretty sitting in there.

Did you get a new cas bracket? or are you running the broken one still?
Thanks,it turned out alot cleaner then what i was exspecting.lol

Yeah i got a new bracket from RawBrokerage and got it put back on.I didnt feel to safe running the broken one.

serah31500

Looking good there my friend! You better make a vid when you get that beast on the road!!! BTW what mount kit are you using?

phulawless
Car: 93 240sx vert, 04 350z

nice man. i just bought my rb25det automatic ;D oh and out of curiosity...did you drop the motor in from the top or from the bottom? just trying to figure out whats the easiest.

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

serah31500 wrote:Looking good there my friend! You better make a vid when you get that beast on the road!!! BTW what mount kit are you using?
Yeah i plan to, i cant wait!!

Im using the McKinney mount kit.
phulawless wrote:nice man. i just bought my rb25det automatic ;D oh and out of curiosity...did you drop the motor in from the top or from the bottom? just trying to figure out whats the easiest.
Thanks!I dropped it in from the top.I did it on dirt to.

phulawless
Car: 93 240sx vert, 04 350z

haha you have guts doing in the dirt ill be checking back to this forum to progress my swap so keep up the good work man! i know i got a lot more researching/ work to get these automatic wires properly worked out.

S13k
Car: Mazda miata 99 NB
Nissan 240sx 91 s13

nice build, hope everything turns out right

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Alright heres some more updates.

This is how the engine looks now.Not much has changed really except for a few things.Been working on the 5-speed swap part of it.

Painted my coolent reservoir black to math the rest of the car.

Finally got my Clutch reservoir painted,drilled,and mounted.

Got the brake fluid reservoir painted black and put back on also.

Both together.

And heres a picture of my pedals mounted and finished.

Thats all the pictures i got for now.I also got the new fuel pump installed and the power steering lines and power steering reservoir on also.

Ill keep you guys updated!

positron1
Car: Project: 1993 Nissan 240SX Coupe SR
Daily: 2010 Honda Civic Coupe

Can't believe I haven't come across this thread before, looking good and keep the updates coming. I've been wanting to see someone do this with pics.

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Thanks man!

Should have some more updates here shortly.Im waiting for some parts to get in.

positron1

What do you have coming in if I may ask?

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Ive got a new shifter bushing coming in,ive got a 90 degree elbow and some t-clamps coming for the intercooler pipeing.Im to a point were i need the intercooler stuff out of the way before i can progress on it any futher.

Ive also got to get a new fuel filter and a bunch of little items,beofre i can run my fuel lines and such.Ive also got to get a battery relocation kit also.

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

I havent posted a pic up in a while.Heres how it looks now.Its gotten really dirty with pollen and crap.Apparently theres some kind of rodent thats been s***ting on my valve cover and eating nuts aswell.There is also s*** all on then inside on the carpet.I shouldnt have left the shifter hole open for 2 months.

Heres some more pics i forgot i had taken.

Heres a random pic i took of the Supra.I snuck it into the garage when my mom left.

positron1

That freakin' pollen FTL!!!

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”