RB25det 1000HP Build

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
Jimefam

Ok after finding out my RB was blown a few months ago I decided to build her out for big power and have been accumilating parts and doing research ever since. I was reluctant to put that number up on the thread title as i've yet to see an RB25 hit that number. Truthfully I'm planning on going a bit higher than that but I think its a good stated goal. I'm not sure what the RB25 record is but whatever it is I want it so here we go with step 1. Heres the list of things I've got so far and while I need a few things still I feel ready to take it to the machine shop and start this thread.

Every engine component including the block and head have been Cryo Treated
NOS direct port nitrous kit
R33 RB25DET bored 0.40 and line honed
Head fully port and polished with top of combustion chamber coated
Haltech Platinum Pro
CP pistons 87mm (0.40 over) Coated on top and skirts
Upgraded tool steel wristpins
Carrillo Pro H Rods
Balanced and Bullnosed stock crank
acl main and rod bearings with calico coating
arp main studs
arp head studs
arp exhaust studs
tomei cam cap studs
tomei procams 270 duration and 10.25 lift
supertech valves w/ 5 angle valve job with the face and stems coated
supertech dual valve springs w/ titanium retainers
supertech valve seals and locators
tomei solid lifters
tomei valve sheets
Barnes 5 stage oil pump
Custom 4 scavenge shallow sump
head oil drain return mod
tomei oil restrictors
Nismo N1 water pump
tomei adj cam gears
Greddy Intake plenum port matched
full-race response turbo manifold
x2 synchronic 50mm WG's
Synchronic BOV
Okada projects Plasma Booster
splitfire coil packs
tomei 1.5mm headgasket
Garrett 27.8X12.7X5.1 FMIC
Trust oil cooler
oil filter sandwich plate
Trust oil filter relocation kit
Greddy timing belt and drive belts
ati race crank dampner w/glimer belt drive
ati RB/TH400 adapter
Fuel Injector Connection 2200cc injectors
Custom -10 AN Fuel Rail
RCI 5 gallon fuel cell
x2 A1000 Fuel Pumps to one -10AN Feed Line
aeromotive fpr w/ -6 return
koyo radiator
nismo thermostat
greddy oil catch can
silicone radiator hoses and coolant hoses
dual puller electric fans
dual fan controller
4" straight pipe exhaust

Heres some pics. I have more but I dont want too long of a first post so we'll break it down over several posts and after I get some pictures back from the shops doing work with me.

Jimefam

First step was to take everything to get Cryo treated and heat and slick coated. I went with a local company that does great work and have a fast turn around time. I picked everything up today and will have more pics in a few days as he took some pictures of the processes and will email them to me. Heres what I took:

Dropping everything off

Jimefam

Next I headed to Fuel Injector Connection for some high flowing injectors to help reach my goal. I've got some 2225cc injectors which can flow quite a bit more as the rail pressure is raised. What I like about this company is every injector is individually flow tested and matched to ensure I've got a nice even flow in each cylinder. I'm blessed to have many great shops locally and so I went today to and got to watch as they went threw and selected the perfect injectors for me and also installed a filter on them. I get back my fuel rail tomorrow with the injectors already in place and will add some pics of that tomorrow.

Jimefam

I finally dropped of the motor at the machine shop at the end of the day. As I said in my previous posts I have some great shops very near my house and Proline Racing Engines is certainly no exception. They have built some of the fastest drag cars around and have two of the top drivers in house along with legendary tuner Steve Petty. They also build all the TT Lambos and Ferraris for UGR. These guys are nuts!

Krazykouki

This thread is going to be epic.

mixeds14
Car: 240

i definitely be keeping an eye on this tread... this is goin to be an one hell of a build.. :yesnod ... good luck..

robbie2883
Car: 1998 RB25 Kouki

looks like a great build. one suggestion though. i would stand that crank up on end instead of laying it flat. it can actually warp itself from it's own weight laying sideways without journal support.

Jimefam

Yeah your right about that. I had it laying down in those two picks cause it was about to be moved but they stood it up when they put the parts away. Thanks

bmxarmy
Car: 1961 rambler

Safe to say you have done all the "supporting" mods! hahaha I look forward to following this! Good Luck!

nolan

julio
Car: RB26 AWD converted S14

Wheres the snail?

Jimefam

That is still tbd. I'm considering a gtx4202r or one of the precision PTB700-7685B. Since proline is a huge precision dealer I'll probably go with that. There's still a few things missing with the turbo being the biggest. I also am having an air to water intercooler that I can swap out with my air to air.

Jimefam

Got my NOS kit today, my fuel rail will take a few more days as they are out of -10 male fittings. Dropped off my exhaust manifold and valve covers at procryo to have them temp and powder coated, will have pictures by the end of next week as I have to go out of town.

the a3k
Car: 1996 Black S14 RB25

hey, maybe we can build my rb25 as well? give me some parts :)

Krazykouki

the a3k wrote:hey, maybe we can build my rb25 as well? give me some parts :)
You have a paypal account? If so, send some money.

Jimefam

the a3k wrote:hey, maybe we can build my rb25 as well? give me some parts :)
Funny you should mention it but I've got some excellent RB parts for sale! Hit me up if you need anything, since I'm replacing absolutely everything I could I have alot of stuff I no longer need.

the a3k
Car: 1996 Black S14 RB25

For free???? Lol. I'm poor ATM

l0nestar
Car: 1993 250sx, 2004 Altezza, 1963 Impala SS

This thread makes me happy.

Coolwhip
Vendor
Car: RB26 Raw Brokerage War Machine

l0nestar wrote:This thread makes me happy.
+1

Jimefam

Hell I'm just try to earn membership into the RBBA

l0nestar
Car: 1993 250sx, 2004 Altezza, 1963 Impala SS

Jimefam wrote:Hell I'm just try to earn membership into the RBBA
Looking at your "parts pile" and the current steps of fortification..
I do not foresee any issues with your candidacy.

eh?

:drool:
Good luck man.

Jimefam

Thanks guys. Ok here is the first of probably many request for help guys. So proline began going through everything and started prepping the block today and of course I forgot something(probably more stuff we'll see) I need all the freeze plugs on the long block asap. Of course I called raw brokerage but they are out of stock a few weeks. I don't want to hold them up as there are literally 7 lambo engines waiting to take my spot!(check the pics). So who's got them?

Yellow4g63
Car: 95 RB20 240, 91 NX2000 VE power, 95 Stock 240sx

Is that like what swain tech does to the pistons? gold thermal coating on the top? did they do anything else to the side skirts?

Jimefam

Yeah that is the same as swain tech gold top coat. It's a ceramic thermal barrier that keeps the pistons cooler. Yes the side skirts are coated with an anti friction slick coating. I also had the valve faces and top of the cylinder coated with the ceramic coating and the valve stems with the slick coating. That company does a ton of different processes, they cryo treated everything and are powder coating a few things for me.

Yellow4g63
Car: 95 RB20 240, 91 NX2000 VE power, 95 Stock 240sx

Nice I couldn't find the info on there web page about the piston coating.

Jimefam

Lol yeah the site needs some work but I'd call them up they're pretty helpful. Ask for Dan.

HxC_Nismo
Car: 98' Nissan 240sx SE R33 RB26DET, 07' Nissan Titan SE, 05' Toyota Corolla

looking good man id say your RBBA status when its all done

Jimefam

Thanks, it'll be awhile before she's finished. I'm hoping to have her running by the beginning of next season.

Jimefam

Ok well here is a tiny update. I picked up my valve covers that were being powder coated but I hadn't noticed the dent that comes from the factory since the intake manifold crosses over the engine. Since my aftermarket intake manifold eliminates this I will have to figure out a way to fix this as it looks terrible. I'm thinking of stripping them and welding some aluminum in there and then repowdering them. Anyway here they are:

I'm getting my exhaust manifold ceramic coated so here is a picture of the progress. I was supposed to pick it up today but it wasn't coated yet so I took a picture of it just blasted. Here it is stock:

And blasted:

I also dropped the rear subframe so that I could strip and get it powdercoated as well and Install solid aluminum bushings. I'm currently replacing every bushing in the car with either solid aluminum or polyurethane.

I got my fuel rail back but since I haven't received my intake manifold yet from getting ported they still need it to create the brackets to hold the fuel rail. Once that is done I will have it anodized. Theres the stock fuel rail in the pic also for comparison:

Also I got a few things in but I'm still waiting on a ton more. Here is one half of my fuel system but I'm still missing another A1000 pump and Filter plus they sent me the wrong FPR as this one is too small.

And here is my Greddy E-01 Boost Controller, this will be ultimately controlled by my haltech.

I also ordered my turbo today, after much debate I decided to go with the Precision PTB 7685B. This will allow me to run in most of the import classes as this was the max inducer size I could go but it will put me at a disadvantage if I decide to run some of the bigger boys in the more powerful classes. I think that this will allow me to get to my goal and then also figure out the best way to get traction out of this chassis. More pictures to come in a few weeks as I will be leaving to houston for like three weeks so everything will be put on hold.

USsil80

ohh man... +1 for subscription... and i would suggest going with a LS2 coil pack conversion instead of the split fire!

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”