RB25 water flow diagram & Greddy intake manifold

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
primedirective
Car: S14

I am writing a two part post. First I wanted to post this coolant flow diagram I made of all the water lines around the oem intake manifold setup. I'm also posting a blank one so you can make your own. I've never been able to find an image like this online. Please let me know if you think any of this is in error.

OEM water flow diagram
Blank diagram

The second part of this post is that I wanted to discuss where to place the turbo water return line when using the Greddy intake manifold. I've never seen the Greddy instruction manual that comes with the intake manifold, I cannot find it online. The only install instructions I can find is the tutorial on the skylines Australia forum which I think most everyone has seen if they have ever used google when attempting to install their manifold. I'm not sure the Greddy intake manifold was designed for people using a water cooled turbo.

The Greddy intake manifold does not have a provision for the turbo water return line or bleed screw like the oem intake manifold does. The skylines Australia forum post tells you to plumb the turbo water return line into the throttle chamber return. I'm not sure I agree with this location. According to my flow diagram you are putting the hot hot turbo water return back into the water pump inlet, and thus the rest of the engine, with out giving it a chance to flow through radiator, which could cause hot spots in the engine. See below for the diagram of a typical Greddy installation. The oem location for the turbo water return puts the hot turbo water into the intake manifold which then goes directly into the radiator, which I think would be better.

What I want to do is put a hose barb into the water balance tube that is located under the intake manifold and plump the turbo water return line directly to that. My goal is to get the turbo water return line as close to the oem location as possible. Have a better way to do this? Agree? Disagree? Let me know, I'm trying to bounce some ideas around before I test it out on my car.

Typical Greddy Intake manifold water line plumbing:

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”