RB20DET - enough for me?

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

It's a combination of things, narrow drive eccentric and fragile gears. 33 and up crank with aftermarket pump and you will be fine.

burks

Roger that. I plan to drive it for the spring/summer and pull the motor in the fall to fix the oiling issue, head port work, and maybe just OEM replacement internals. Slap a new clutch in if funds allow too. That's a job I only want to do once (3 hour job on my SRT but it still suuuucks).

ca18detgabby
Car: 92 s13 ca18det SOLD, 03 G35

http://www.rawbrokerage.com/raw-brokera ... rb25-rb26/

Can consider doing one of these as well.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

If we are still talking about an RB20, I've never seen a 20 shred a pump and I've beaten them mercilessly.

kabob
Car: 1990 Skyline GTR R32

A JUN collar is cheaper from RHDJapan. The thing with installing the crank collar is that you'll have to pull the engine out of the bay, disassemble the engine, remove the crankshaft and then machine the oil collar section of it to accept the aftermarket collar. That's a ton of labor when you can just replace the crankshaft for a new one for $1000. It'd ultimately come out to be about the same cost. I'd recommend you not bother with this unless you build a high hp track vehicle, are rebuilding the engine anyway or get low oil pressure. The oil pump issue is not that common with mild builds or stock vehicles.

kabob
Car: 1990 Skyline GTR R32

Ah, I forgot that you were sticking with the RB20. The oil collar issue is with the RB26, as mentioned above.

burks

kabob wrote:Ah, I forgot that you were sticking with the RB20. The oil collar issue is with the RB26, as mentioned above.
GTR after talking to Rivsu. They can get me a GTR in my price range and to my liking!!

M35Squirrel
Car: 1990 GT-R, 2011 M37

burks wrote:GTR after talking to Rivsu. They can get me a GTR in my price range and to my liking!!
:dblthumb:

Raybrant
Car: 2005 CS 350Z

ca18detgabby wrote:http://rivsuimports.com/NS058434

If you are willing to wait.. you can get surprisingly good deals out there. Kind of wish I had waited for this car (or one like it).... not that I'm complaining.

Ps if you are old enough for classic car insurance, there is no better deal on the market. I pay 306/year for my car with a 15k stated value and comprehensive coverage.
Thanks for linking my car, I'll let you know if it comes in as good shape as yours did. :rotflmao
burks wrote:Been talking with Dustin. Basically the car linked above was full of rust and as he put it "a budget/project car".
Hmm really? I was told this thing is pristine.

No rust can be seen from the outside. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9BX9c-f52M

Mind sending me the correspondence from when this is mentioned? You can blank out whatever you need to.

burks

Reread the email. I swapped numbers around and gave him the wrong ones.

Numbers I had went back to a white car, not even close. Lol. Let us know how everything turns out. The waiting has to SUCK. But all good things come to those who wait.

Raybrant
Car: 2005 CS 350Z

Okay good. You had me worried.

Yeah this thing sure was an "early-bird's special". Reserved it during the summer. Even if it's a mess you can't really go wrong with the price tag. :dblthumb:

burks

Nah you'll be good. I think I meant to actually LINK another car he sent me pics of that was a true "budget" car. My apologies for F'N that post up. :facepalm: If I was making a drifter, I'd buy it as what's another dent? Big whoop.

But as a daily driver, no way.

Rivsu is going to be who I go with. Best prices, most inventory (which says something IMO about their quality), and east coast.

burks

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all their help and advice. At this time I will not be pursuing a Skyline, let alone a GTR.

Good luck to everyone. May your cars be fast, and the government stay away. :dblthumb:

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”