Raw gas smell when starting up.

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
dr-rjp
Car: 1998 I30

Lately, whenever I start my '98 I30, I have been getting a smell similar to raw gasoline. Now, I am not sure if the smell is coming from my exhaust outlet, but when I back up, I seem to drive through the odor (as if it did come out the exhaust).

I changed my gas cap, but the smell is still there.

I changed all of my O2 sensors, but no change.

There are no gas leaks that I can see.

If it is coming from my exhaust, then that would indicate the F/A ratio is way too rich on startup (but not any other time).

Anyone have a clue as to the cause ?

greensparcs

in my300z when my MAF sensor was going bad it was running really rich, after i got it replaced it fixed my air to fuel ratio, dunno if thats your problem but it fixed mine have them check and see if you get a MAF code when its diagnosed

dr-rjp

greensparcs wrote:in my300z when my MAF sensor was going bad it was running really rich, after i got it replaced it fixed my air to fuel ratio, dunno if thats your problem but it fixed mine have them check and see if you get a MAF code when its diagnosed
Thanks for the info. My MAF, though, seems to be fine. I cleaned it the other day, BTW, I made a video of how to do it:

Click here to see Video

I'm still inclined to think that the problem lies in the EGR/EVAP system.

greensparcs

hmm im not familar with that system of the engine so i cant help you there sorry

dr-rjp

Thanks man. I appreciate the effort.

Did you take a peek at my video?

greensparcs

yes i did but i dont know where to get that spray. and also you didnt do it on a 300z lol but i think i can figure it out if i have to do it myself one of these days

dr-rjp

You can buy the spray at Advance Auto Parts and AutoZone.

The engine layout of the brake booster line in the Z is similar. Just look for a large drum attached to the firewalll on the driver's side. That's the brake booster. When you find it, look for a thick rubber hose that connects the booster drum to the intake manifold.

Basically, any rubbber hose attached to the intake manifold is there to provide a vaccum. The reason why we use the brake line is because it is not crucial to the engine's operation.

And, thanks for viewing the video.

greensparcs

by the way i see that you are in jacksonville, i was stationed in jacksonville for A and C school, now im stationed with VP-8 in Brunswick Maine, however in about 2 years ill be stationed back in NAS jax so when that happens maybe you can introduce me to all the Nissan fans http://img483.imageshack.us/my...8.jpg
Modified by greensparcs at 6:35 AM 11/9/2006

dr-rjp

COOL!

There's a guy here who has been trying to start up a local Nissan users group. So far, he has only a few members, but I know with a pop. of over 1 mil., there's got to be an interest.

Let me know when you get back to town.

pgastan
Car: nissan bluebird 1998

Hi, i have a very similar issue with my 98 Bluebird (U14), lately the start is very poor (taking more than usual and trembling). Once is running you can smell the raw gasoline. This hapens only when starting the engine. Any clue???

silkysmoothyjud
Car: 1994 Q45

A raw gas smell shortly after startup, when the car is warming, indicates that you have a slight gas leak even when the car is not running. The slight leak is not as predominate when your car is running because engine heat causes gas to evaporate too quickly to be noticeable. However, when the gas hits cold metal, it'll sit there for a while, until you start your car again. Then the gas that has built up due to leakage will all burn at once, causing a strong smell that goes away. In my case, it was an upper injector o-ring, it left a brown stain eventually, and I was able to find it.

On the other hand, I have no clue what could cause a gas smell immediately after startup (at least one that goes away), without engine heat being a factor.

dr-rjp

silkysmoothyjud wrote: A raw gas smell shortly after startup, when the car is warming, indicates that you have a slight gas leak even when the car is not running. The slight leak is not as predominate when your car is running because engine heat causes gas to evaporate too quickly to be noticeable. However, when the gas hits cold metal, it'll sit there for a while, until you start your car again. Then the gas that has built up due to leakage will all burn at once, causing a strong smell that goes away. In my case, it was an upper injector o-ring, it left a brown stain eventually, and I was able to find it.

On the other hand, I have no clue what could cause a gas smell immediately after startup (at least one that goes away), without engine heat being a factor.
Your advice is great, but in my case, the smell is not emanating from the engine bay, but the exhaust.

The only thing that I can think of is that I must have gas dripping inside one of the cylinders while the engine has been sitting. It is not so much that the engine is "cold," as it is that the engine has been off long enough for the gas to leak into the cylinder.

Of coursem that does not make much sense, seeing as how the valves are closed, but the gas must either be pooling outside of the intake valve, or pooling inside of the injector.

That is, whn the engine starts, the injector momentarily runs super-rich, and "overloads" the intake valve with too much gas.

I checked the spark plugs the last time I changed them, and I did not notice any signs of running rich on one of them. They all looked exactly like they should if the fuel-air mix is correct.

I DID NOTICE, however, that there was oil around the bottom of the insulator, -- but that uually is due to a leaky head gasket, and the oil is not getting into the cylinder (otherwise, the spark plug would have looked fouled).

BUT...could there be any connection between finding oil and a bad injector

mtcookson
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX
1992 Iinfiniti Q45
and much much more

Sorry, just caught this and moved from the VG/VE section. This section should be able to help you a bit more.

silkysmoothyjud

I thought I'd follow up with if your getting a funky smell upon acceleration, then your plenum may be leaking air. Go to home repo and get those little tiny c-clamps. This is easier to do than explain. get yourself a pair of wire cutters and cut the end off said clamp, and use the wire cutter to cut off the metal bar that tightens the c-clamp so that you can tighten it in a small place with a nail. Previous owner stripped several plenum screws....easy fix makes for an even easier plenum removal

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

dr-rjp wrote:Of coursem that does not make much sense, seeing as how the valves are closed, but the gas must either be
If the fuel smell is coming from the exhaust, it still sounds like too much fuel. Your guess here actually makes a lot sense...it could be a stuck or leaky injector.

silkysmoothyjud

Interesting, wouldn't blue smoke be there, bad idle after running it for a while be a result as well? Why do the injectors suck in this beautiful motor? It has been the only Ford mistake I ever seen on any Nissan. Just don't overreact to the problem its never anything major. No disrespect intended, but its the freakin truth!!!

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”